News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Old Grocery Store next to Fitzgerald's?

Started by B60402, January 09, 2013, 06:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B60402

Hi all-

See that the old La Rosita Grocery recently sold.  Anyone know what is going in there?

exPROPer

Anyone know anything, too, about Familia?  Are they coming back???? 

I know I'd love for them to relocate across from MacNeal, but there is the empty grocery store space just east of DesPlaines and 26th that would be a good location.

pkd50

I know a Mexican grocery store bought Great West Electrical on 26th, but I don't know if it is La  Familia

Bonster

Did Great West Electrical move, or just close its doors?

Depending on the answer to that, where is there a good electrical supply store in these parts (not big box)?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

moose

I read that Great West Electrical closed.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

pkd50

I was in there a couple of months ago.  The owner told me that she and her brother were closing not moving.  They sold the building to a grocer. 

exPROPer

I hope the new owners clean it up and update it.  Parking is a problem, tho.

berwyn senator

I believe this is the old Wilk's Grocery store from when I was a kid.The place was filthy then and still is.Anyone who could reach the counter could buy beer or smokes,the building should be removed!

exPROPer

Well, if the City was smart they'd make sure whoever goes in keeps the place clean and classy.  There would be some walking traffic of people leaving Capri and the Oak Parkers who would cross the street to pick up items. 

Everytime we went by going to Fitzgeralds, Wishbone or Capri the place was/is empty.  Most people don't want to shop in filthy grocery stores.

justme

Quote from: exPROPer on January 09, 2013, 07:24:41 PM
Anyone know anything, too, about Familia?  Are they coming back???? 

I know I'd love for them to relocate across from MacNeal, but there is the empty grocery store space just east of DesPlaines and 26th that would be a good location.

Apparently, they planned to move there but the landlord wants too much for rent and won't budge.

I think that spot off of 26th and DesPlaines would be perfect, although the owner said that he wanted to get a bigger space and that is pretty small.

MindoverMatter

Familia foods is relocating across the street from MacNeal.

seebee

Quote from: MindoverMatter on July 03, 2013, 08:27:34 AM
Familia foods is relocating across the street from MacNeal.

This makes me VERY happy. VERY happy. How was this confirmed??

berwynres

Off topic, but can't MacNeal do a little bit better with regard to landscaping its property during Summer.    A few more flowers and a few less weeds would be nice.   As far as I can tell, they suck as a corporate citizen.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: berwynres on July 05, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
Off topic, but can't MacNeal do a little bit better with regard to landscaping its property during Summer.    A few more flowers and a few less weeds would be nice.   As far as I can tell, they suck as a corporate citizen.
+1.  I obviously have negative feelings towards MacNeal as a neighbor because of my close proximity to single family homes they own right across the street from me that they have neglected in the past.  I'm glad to see other people have noticed that they don't have the best landscaping plan in motion.