News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

CC Agenda-3/12/2013

Started by Ted, March 18, 2013, 07:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Interesting appointment for CDG Grants Administrator.  At least Lovero was smart enough to wait until after the election to make the appointment. The lady probably needs the income to buy some quarter pounders:

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING
                                           MARCH 12, 2013

AGENDA

ROLL CALL

(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. REGULAR MEETING 2/27/13 – COW 2/27/13

(D) BID OPENING–TABULATIONS

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. APPOINTMENT OF CDBG DIRECTOR-CYNTHIA MONTAVON
2. APPOINTMENT OF CDBG GRANTS ADMINISTRATOR-REGINA MENDICINO
3. RELAY FOR LIFE CORRESPONDENCE/AWARD PRESENTATION

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. APPROVAL OF CLOSED COW MINUTES OF 12/26/12, 1/8/13 AND 1/22/13

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM (ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES, OTHER BOARDS
AND COMMISSIONS

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. FINANCE DIRECTOR-2013 APPROPRIATION ORDINANCE
2. PROJECT OPERATIONS MANAGER-ISSUANCE OF LICENSE PLATE RECOGNITION SYSTEM RFP
3. PROJECT OPERATIONS MANAGER-SEASONAL PLANTING BID AWARDS
4. CITY ATTORNEY-SETTLEMENT CASE #12CV8642
5. ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE MAYOR-CITY WIDE COMPETITION FOR THE DESIGN OF THE 2013-2014 CITY VEHICLE STICKERS
6. POLICE CHIEF RITZ-REQUEST FOR TWO PROBATIONARY POLICE OFFICERS

(K) CONSENT AGENDA:
1. BUDGET CHAIR-PAYROLL- 2/27/13- $990,905.11
2. BUDGET CHAIR-PAYABLES- 3/12/13 - $1,187,976.82
3. COLLECTIONS AND BUSINESS LICENSES FOR FEBRUARY, 2013
4. BUILDING AND LOCAL IMPROVEMENT PERMITS FOR FEBRUARY, 2013
5. CHAPMAN-HANDICAP SIGN-D. MASCITTI-3838 CLINTON-APPROVE
6. CHAPMAN-HANCICAP SIGN-M. ARTEAGA-3553 CLINTON-APPROVE
7. RELAY FOR LIFE -TAG DAYS FUNDRAISER-3/23/13, 3/30/13, 4/6/13, 4/13/13, 4/20/13 & 5/4/13 AND RELAY FOR LIFE WALK MAY 10 & 11 AT MORTON WEST HIGH SCHOOL
8. MAYOR-CONCLUSION OF LIQUOR HEARING PROCEEDING

OakParkSpartan

Ted,

Explain the quarter pounders comment.  Not everyone was at that public hearing.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

watcher

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 18, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Ted,

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=8891.msg152829#msg152829

"Regina Mendicina stated that the monthly amount of the tax increase was less than the cost of "one Quarter Pounder with Cheese and a medium Coke".  A new resident who recently purchased a home in Berwyn responded to her McDonalds comparison saying that the tax increase was the cost of putting food on his table.  Mendicina also ranted against Michael O'Connor, blaming him for everything."
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 18, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Ted,

Watcher, thanks for the quote.

To give more context, Regina Mendicino is the wife of Marty Mendicino, who owns and runs Martinairre heating and air conditioning.

The Mendicino family also own and run the bar Olive or Twist in the Depot District. They are also associated with two other businesses in the Depot District - the Depot Diner and Riddles Comedy Club.  The Depot Diner and Riddles Comedy Club (and the building it is housed in) have received $250,000 in TIF money over the last 4 years.

During the time that Michael O'Connor was mayor, Regina Mendicino would sit in the back pew of the city council chamber along with Alba Lovero (mother of current mayor Robert Lovero) and they would make loud, rude, disparaging remarks during city council sessions.

In December of 2009, the city had a hearing on a proposed tax rate increase.

Regina Mendicino read a public statement at the hearing in favor of the tax hike. She figuratively and literally shook her finger at the tax payers of Berwyn, saying we needed to suck it up and accept the tax hike.  Part of her statement claimed that the monthly cost of the tax hike was less than the cost of a quarter pounder and a medium Coke.

Most people who attended the hearing were expecting a 5% tax hike but Lovero and the city council pulled a bait-and-switch and made the tax hike 15%.  btw, when I did the math on my property taxes, the hike would have been more like a quarter pounder and medium Coke per week, not per month.

In any case, since that time, Ms. Mendicino has been sometimes referred to on BTF as the "quarter pounder lady" for those remarks.

And, now, in addition to receiving $250K in TIF money, Ms. Mendicino is going to be getting a salary from the city of Berwyn to be CDBG Grants Administrator.

Must be nice to have friends in high places.

Mike Phelan

Congratulations to Cynthia Montovan on her appointment to CDBG Grants Administrator.  I have always found her to be professional in any dealings I have had with her.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Mike Phelan on March 21, 2013, 09:43:08 AM
Congratulations to Cynthia Montovan on her appointment to CDBG Grants Administrator.  I have always found her to be professional in any dealings I have had with her.
Congrats to Regina on her appointment.  Perhaps she'll now find a way to live her "quarter pounder" reputation down.

The Jackal

LOL!

That's one hell of a comment to be remembered by...

Ted

According to the minutes, Marge Paul voted against the appointment of Ms. Mendicino.

I guess no more drinks for Marge at OOT... LOL

The Jackal

....But a lot more quarter pounders!!!!!!!!!!