News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Big Hurt Brewhouse

Started by B60402, April 18, 2013, 10:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niuhuskie

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/oak-park-river-forest-forest-park/ct-frank-thomas-brewery-talk-0829-20140828-story.html

QuoteThe restaurant will be a "brewhouse" in name only. Thomas' line of beers is brewed elsewhere in the Chicago area.

Ted

Has anyone gone to Big Hurt Brewhouse yet?  I heard the food was good but a bit pricy and that there are video gamining machines in the old bank vault.

pkd50

Not surprised that they have gaming machines.  There are everywhere.  I stopped at Tom's for a hot dog.  He has them in there.  I'm seeing these Dottie's and Betty's popping up in strip malls in Countryside. 

pkd50

I was told, by someone who probably doesn't know, that Garv's is going to be a microbrew house. They would actually brew there.  It seems like it would be too small.  Anybody hear that rumor?

Bungalow

Crain's posted an article on the brewhouse opening, noting that the beer has been largely panned by critics.  The menu seems expensive for Berwyn.  The female servers' black/red outfits are Hooter-esque.  Let's hope Frank Thomas's presence is enough to attract enough outsiders to maintain a successful business.

OakParkSpartan

There is a brewery looking at Garv's from what I have heard. 

Big Hurt has good food.  Not sure I'll be hanging there often (it is only 2 blocks from home though).

Have any of you guys checked out Godson's in the depot?  Nice, clean place.  Inexpensive beers (craft beer too!).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Noble Falcon

Glad it's open! Any idea if Home Run Inn is still coming toward the Grove side?

Heard the Brewhouse closes at 11 on weekends?? Good for the neighborhood. :usa:

PS I thought I read the beer is brewed in Minnesota and won't be brewed in Berwyn

How is Parking?

dukesdad

Went in there last night on the way home from work. They have done a beautiful job on the place. The dome is spectacular. 33 beers on tap, limited menu until they get their feet on the ground. I did talk to Frank he says that Home Run inn is still coming in next door. When I got there there was plenty of parking, as I left they were charging $3 to park, that will set the Berwynites off! I do hope folks support the place. Be nice if people went there more than once, just to say they've been there. Frank seems like he has mellowed into a very nice guy.

exPROPer

Glad to hear someone is looking at Garv's.  The inside was completely rehabbed a few years ago and should be in move-in condition.  Not good to have that building, too, be empty.

pkd50

I haven't been to Big Hurt yet, but looking at their FB page, I have to disagree about the waitresses looking like Hooter girls.  I think their uniforms are a little dumpey, and the red boots look dated.

exPROPer

$3 to park???  Seems outlandish for Berwyn.  Besides didn't our tax dollars pay for a lot of the parking lot improvements?  Street improvements? 

Ted

Quote from: exPROPer on November 06, 2014, 12:47:36 PM
$3 to park???  Seems outlandish for Berwyn.  Besides didn't our tax dollars pay for a lot of the parking lot improvements?  Street improvements?

$3 was supposed to be for only valet parking. Here is a press release from Big Hurt Brewhouse.  Kudos to Frank Thomas.:

Berwyn, IL- November 4th, 2014- Due to a mis-communication with the contracted valet service, guests were charged for self-parking at a rate of three dollars per car during our opening weekend. This was a mistake and we apologize as parking on our lot will be free of charge, unless a guest opts to use the optional valet service.

Guests who did pay for parking on November 1st or November 2nd can bring their Big Hurt Brewhouse receipt, credit card or cash, and we will give a complimentary Be My Guest $10 off pass to Big Hurt Brewhouse, as our way of addressing this opening weekend mistake.

We sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding or unanticipated expense this caused and are taking the necessary steps to ensure effective parking access for our guests.

exPROPer

Yes, saw this on Facebook.  I'm glad he corrected the problem so quickly.  Hoping to get over there this weekend!