News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Garden Centers

Started by Boris, April 05, 2006, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

OK master gardeners- it's question time!

I'm looking for landscaping specimens (things like Japanese maple, viburnum, boxwood...etc.) relatively close to Berwyn, because I want to have them delivered. McAdam has a great selection, but their prices are outrageous ($425 for a 5-foot Jap maple). Greenview has an equal or better selection at much better prices ($125 for a 5-foot Jap maple), but would charge almost $200 for delivery (they're in Oswego)!

Any suggestions?

-woof.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

dukesdad

Boris:

My wife is almost finished with the Master Gardener program at the U of I extension. She says: "I would suggest Graff Nurseries on Southwest Highway just west of Harlem. It's on the north side of Southwest Highway before the stone yard. They have all
the trees/shrubs listed. Duane is the guy. Would recommend the greenvelvet boxwood. They stay green all winter and retain the ball like structure."

treeguy

Sorry to go off topic and be a preachy whiner, but how about skipping the non-native species and trying to save an endangered native tree.  Elm trees once towered throughout Berwyn, but have been decimated by Dutch Elm disease.  You can purchase a Liberty Elm from the Elm Research Institute online.  Mine is just starting to bloom!  They are selected for resistance to DED, and now over 100,000 elms have been put back on the streets of America, with less than 100 succumbing to DED in the last 25 years.  They are pure-bread North American elms, never hybridized.  Check out www.libertyelm.com for information.

Thanks for listening.

Boris

If you can find me an elm that will top out at 15 feet or so, and thus live happily under my towering silver maple...I'm all over it.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

shrugger

I think this has been discussed before, but what are the rules about planting a tree in your parkway?

that is a good idea about the elm, treeguy, there is one around the corner from me that is just fantastic ... spreads itself across the street and you can pick leaves off of it from the opposite sidewalk. nothing I ever plant will look like it while I'm still alive.
we must cultivate our garden

Bear

DukesDad...Went to Graff Gardens today...Great place, Boris they have Jap
red Maples 6'-8' for $125...

Some wild wood carvings as well
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

renovatorbear

We also shopped at Graff Gardens today and it was worth the trip.  Nice people, very good selection, above average condition.  We picked up a several varieties of perennials and some beautiful annuals as well.   Considered driving on further to Alsip Nurseries in Frankfort, but not enough hours in the day for everything on our agenda.  And how sad is that?  An agenda on the weekend...

Chalet in Wilmette remains our favorite garden center for selection, but it's very expensive. 

Graff Gardens
7250 Southwest Hwy
Worth, IL 60482
(708) 361-7805

pkd50

A little past Graf's on the SW Highway is Sid's.  They have everything.