News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Bungalow Love?

Started by Aimee, May 18, 2005, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloud23

Boris,

Great job on your kitchen. I am planning to get my kitchen redone later this year and was looking into something similar. What is your kitchen size, we have a nice size bungalow kitchen, I believe 19x11 or 19x12. Did you do all the work yourself? If not do you have any referrals.  I think I will definitely use your kitchen as an inspiration on how my kitchen could look. Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Boris

Ours is 10 X 17. The Ikea kitchen planning software (free) was accurate to within 3 inches over the whole room...and it may have been my error anyway.

You start in a corner, and work your way out. The hardest thing was installing the corner-sink.

My father-in-law (an electrician) and I did all the work ourselves. The cabinets took 3 full days to build and install and then another day or so to finish (doors, handles...etc.).

The cabinets totalled about $2800 (if I remember right, the style is Kalsebo)...the appliances (Frigidaire Pro Series) about $3000 (includes the range hood and disposal). The reason I mention the brand is a) we really like them b) Abt offers great deals if you buy everything at once...plus Frigidaire is almost always running rebates. We saved nearly $1700 as a result. The lighting is from Restoration Hardware...expensive, but I'm a lighting nazi.

Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Suedehead

Hey Boris, check out the personal message i sent ya.

Boris

OK...I'm just gonna go ahead and put up a couple more before-and-afters...because I like show-and-tell!

dining room before

dining room after

back porch before

porch after...

...OK, I'm done (for now!)

-woof

Berwyn Patsy

absolutley incredible!!!! You should be so proud.  Thanks for sharing

Ana

Boris,

Your home is truly Bungalow love.  You've done an awesome job!  I think we should open up a bungalow specific section on the forum for people who have questions on restoring, etc.  I think you would have a lot of advice to offer.

Kudos!

Ana 
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

pkd50

Boris,

It's wonderful. Congrats!  How long did the projects take?   What part of town do you live? 

Ana

I'm not to crazy about chatrooms.  They're kinda creepy.  I know this one wouldn't be but the word has negative connotations.

Boris, make sure you put your bungalow on the bungalow walk.  I really want to take a look inside.

:)

PS.  I want to see more pics, please.   ;D
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Boris

Jim,

a bungalow forum under community chat sounds great (Art...it's a forum, not a chat room...and I agree with you).

I (of course) would love to post more pics (and will)...but one of the reasons I started posting pictures of my house was in the hopes that others would follow suit...

I'll post some more of the "work" pics, Art...the whole shebang had to be done in 28 days. It was quite a challenge...we had one month between our last rent payment, and our first mortagage payment to make the place ready to move in (it had sat vacant for many years). In that time, we re-did the floors -- there was linoleum in the kitchen and porch that we removed...then hired a great crew who refinished the wood throughout. We had to reverse the staircase that came down into the kitchen, so that it came down into the dining room, and of course, we had to install the aformentioned kitchen. Oh, and we had to move the bathroom doorway, which was placed where it just made no sense at all....

pkd50, we're north of Cermak...west of East.

cloud23

I am also addicted to Bungalows. My husband and I have been restoring our custom bungalow w/ an octogonal(sp?) stained glass window home for about 2yrs. I need to buy a digital camera so I can post pictures, I regret not taking pictures of how it looked before. I hope to post picture very soon.

Ana

I hope this works.  This one is mine.  My husband is currently working on the bathroom on the main level.  I know that the house was built and designed for Dr. William Keckeisen in 1925.  It has been occupied by 4 families.  Ours being the 4th.  The last family was here for 30 years.  All this info from our neighbor who has been here over 40-50 years.  We also still have the original plans.  Unfortunately, all of the woodwork has been painted over but at least all of the crown molding is still intact.  From the plans we can see where changes have been made and where builtins have been taken out  :'(.  Restoring this home is on our little by little to do list.

pkd50

You did all of that in 28 days?   You're amazing. 

Boris

Quote from: pkd50 on May 18, 2005, 11:01:10 PM
You did all of that in 28 days?   You're amazing.  

actually, it was more like: "it's amazing what you can do in 28 days when you have no choice!"

(thanks)

sterling

Quote from: Aimee on May 18, 2005, 06:14:37 AM
Hello to all!
Hi there I just wanted to let everyone know that we are going to be starting
the Bungalow Association in partnership with the Berwyn Historical Society.
We are planning a Bungalow walk very soon possibly in October.
I have heard from Ald. Weiner that many of you on this board might be interested. I am glad to hear this. I am a new member of this board (as of today) I hope we will be having lots of people interested.
We will welcome all ideas and suggestions. If anyone is interested in this please let us know. I thank you for supporting our historical bungalows. Was any Berwynites able to attend the Bungalow Expo? If so what did you think of it?
Aimee Sordelli

HEY AIMEE -- DID YOU READ WHAT YOUR PEOPLE HAD TO SAY ABOUT YOU UNDER POLITICAL DISCUSSION? BETTER MIND YOUR P&Q's IN PUBLIC!!

hvychev

Anyways..........

Aimee, now this is a GREAT thread! I have not read the forum in a few days! WOW! Jim make a seperate forum for bungalows!

I am going to post some pics of my Bungalow style 3 flat.Front room top floor. Three beautiful windows above the mantle.

hvychev

Living room on the top floor. There are 10 stained glass transom windows above the casement windows.

hvychev

I Love stained glass. Also pictured is the dining room.

hvychev

Some cool little things.

Built in ironing board in the kitchen.

Laundry shoots in the bathrooms that go down to the basement.

hvychev

Cool wardrobe in bedroom.

hvychev

Redone baths and kitchens through out each floor.