News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Bungalow Love?

Started by Aimee, May 18, 2005, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

Very very nice.  Thanks for the pics.   Are there  two or three bedrooms on each floor?

hvychev

There are three bedrooms per unit.

Here is another cool feature. Ice boxes in the back hallway.

admin

Ok, created a "Bungalow Love" specific forum.  I've also moved this thread over to its new home.   Jim

Ana

Aimee, are you head of a committee?  If so, when and where do you meet and do you accept new members or is it by invitation only?  Tell us more about it.  Thanks.  Ana.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

hvychev

More cool stuff.....

Front hallway double hung sash window.

Fixed sash sained glass window. Note the cool 1925 original checkerboard tile floor! 8)

Ana

Aimee, please keep me posted. 

hvychev, you really found a treasure.  I am amazed at how much of the original woodwork and windows and ceramic tiles are intact.  Good for you!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

hvychev

Aimee I would love to!

As far as the history of the building goes, I am still working on it. I know that the woman I bought it from bought it 6 years ago and "restored" it to the tune of $100,000 as she said it was a "dump". The lady that owned it before her owned it with her family for decades and became elderly letting the building fall into major disrepair. That is the only reason that the building retains so much of its original features. There has been no additoons, glass block windows, etc like so many other homes/buildings in Berwyn.

hvychev

Boris I forgot to mention........so you were the one that Mrs. Sarah King told me about! She restored 2 of the stained glass windows that were in my flat. She does great work!

For everyone else here is her website. She works out of her home in Oak Park.

http://www.stainedglassltd.com/

OakParkSpartan

Tanya and Cec are great over at two fish.  My wife has taken classes there for the last 2 years.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

hvychev

Boris I had asked earlier in this thread about who refinished the woodwork in your house? How long did it take and how much did it cost?

Boris

Quote from: hvychev on June 01, 2005, 09:34:01 AM
Boris I had asked earlier in this thread about who refinished the woodwork in your house? How long did it take and how much did it cost?

Whoops! sorry about that...

David Gligor 773-562-5008

we have about 1800 sq. ft. that was in bad shape and needed to be refinished...radiator holes in every room, and a lot of loose boards. He brought in something like 10 guys and had everything repaired, sanded and the first coat on in one day. He charged $2500.

good luck!
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

hvychev

Boris, actually I was referring to the mill work like doors, window trim, frames, base boards, crown molding,  etc.

OakParkSpartan

HvyChvy,

Try The Forest Glen Craftsman.  You can find him on the web.  He is somewhat tough to get hold of, but the crown molding he put up for us is dead nuts on.  Two rooms ran us about $800.  We have an octagon front, so lots of weird angles.  He used to post a lot on the Chicago Bungalow board.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Boris

I didn't have any of the woodwork re-finished...except the front door, which I did myself. It's alligatored, but in fine shape and looks great. Sorry, I can't recommend anyone for that.

-b
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Been_A_Fix

I am considering making my first home purchase and it is just me and a cat so I figured a Bungalow would be perfect size. Plus. I work in the loop and want to live closer to work. Given OP is expensive, Forest Pk has an existing housing stock that is overpriced and mostly ugly, I was curious what the demographics of ppl are on this board and where they came from. I just wanted to get an idea as to how many of these homes are being updated or being treated poorly. Also was curious how common it is to have modern things like central air and forced air heat.

Been_A_Fix

Thanks. This is a few months down the line I am thinking. I may check that meeting out just because I am into history and learning things so as long as I am not forking over cash, Id love to sit in. I don't want to pressure you for time as this is a little early in my home searching.

My mother grew up in OP and we went by her old bungalow at Hayes/Augusta and saw what they wanted for it in that part of Oak Park and she well, I probably shouldnt repeat what she said, =)

Been_A_Fix

I didn't make it. Had a condo assoc meeting I forgot about.

Bear

It's probably opal glass, I would call Curran art sudio on Ogden,
this is a doable project by your self if you are handy
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Guy_on_Clinton

anyone see that they cut the trees around that Bungalow on 21st & Home... it really looks nice now.. I wonder if its up for sale.

Anyone know the scoop?
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

OakParkSpartan

I noticed day before yesterday.  I always thought that was a nice place, just overgrown.  It looks like the exterior maintenance has been neglected for some time though.

Hopefully it will be spruced up.  It's on one of the main entrances to the neighborhood.

Cheers,
Brian