Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Bungalow Love?

Started by Aimee, May 18, 2005, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

Oaks..

they really cleaned it up... i bet whoever inherited this place puts it up for $380K.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

OakParkSpartan

There have been people inside working for the last couple of weeks.  Lights are often left on so you can see in the windows from the street. 

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

hvychev

You are a little off guy.

The owner of course cut down the trees, is installing new windows, all new copper plumbing, cleaning, repairing, refinishing, etc. There was appliances in the bottom floor that were 50-60 years old.

The house will be listed shortly for $429K!!  :o North Berwyn......who would have thought......

Guy_on_Clinton

Chev..

Im not surprised... the so called FRENCH PROVENCIAL at my corner sold for over $400K and was on the market for less than 15days....

NORTHSIDE REPRESENT!!! ;D

hvychev

Yeah, guy that house is gorgeous. It sold for exactly 400k and closed in December.

Agent Medium Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05272103 DETACHED SINGLE FAMILY PRICE: $415,000 SALE PRICE: $400,000
STATUS: CLSD  MKT TIME: 30 OMD: 11/22/05 CONTRACT: 11/22/05 CLOSED: 12/15/05
SELLING OFFICE: 90140 SELLING AGENT: 901128 POINTS:  FINANCING: 0
AD: 1942  S   CLINTON CITY: BERWYN AREA: 402
ZIP: 60402-0 SUB: GOLD COAST CTY: COOK TOWNSHIP: BERWYN
CORPORATE LIMITS: BERWYN MODEL: FRENCH PRO OWN: FS YR BUILT:
BUILT BEFORE 78: Y DIMENSIONS: 38X143 PIN: 16193200360000
TAXES: 5246 TAX YR: 04 TXC: H SAS: N ASSOC DUES:  0 FREQUENCY: N

ROOMS: 10 BEDROOM: 4 BATHS:  2.0 MASTER BEDROOM BATH: N BASEMENT BATH: N
# FIREPLACES: 2 TYPE PARKING: G # CARS: 3 LOT SIZE: OVRSZD CHIC LOT
STYLE: ENGLISH, FR PRVN* TYPE: 2 STORY ROOF: SLATE AGENT/INTEREST: N
EXTERIOR: BR DINING ROOM: SEP BASEMENT: FULL, PARTIALLY FINISH*
HEAT: GAS, HOT WTR/STEAM AIR: 3+ W/W UNTS ELECTRIC: 
ACREAGE:  0.00 WATER: LAKE MICH SEWER: SEWER-PUB
APPLIANCES: 
MONTHLY ASSES. INCL: XRCSE FCLTY

ROOM SIZE L F W ROOM SIZE L F W SCHOOLS
LIVING RM: 17X15 1 H Y MASTER BR: 15X12 2 H Y GRADE:  DIST: 98
DINING RM: 15X13 1 H Y 2ND BEDRM 14X12 2 H Y JUNIOR:  DIST: 98
KITCHEN: 17X12 1 T Y 3RD BEDRM: 14X12 2 H Y HIGH:  DIST: 201
FAMILY RM: 17X14 L T Y 4TH BEDRM: 12X12 1 H Y OTHER:  DIST: 
REC: 17X12 L T Y LDY: 25X24 L C Y
:     :     
:     APPROX. SQ. FT: 
POSSESSION: NEGOTIABLE

REMARKS: ONCE IN A LIFETIME DOES A HOME LIKE THIS ONE COME ON THE
  MARKET. FRENCH PROVINCIAL HOME FEATURES CIRCULAR STAIRCASE
  IN FOYER.MAIN FLOOR HAS CUSTOM HARDWOOD FLOORING.FULL FORMAL
  DINING ROOM.BRONZE RAILINGS.NOTICE MASSIVE ROOM SIZES.EXT.
  FEATURES CUSTOM COPPER GUTTER SYSTEM.VERANDA OFF MASTER BED
  3 CAR BRICK GARAGE.BRICK PAVERS IN GARDEN.ROCK GARDEN.2 FP'S
DIRECTIONS: CLINTON IS 3 BLOCKS WEST OF OAK PARK AVE THEN 1942 S
MAP COORDINATES: NORTH: 0 WEST: 6900 EAST: 0 SOUTH: 1942   

COOPERATIVE COMPENSATION: 2.5-$100 SPECIAL COMP. INFO: N
SHOWING INSTRUCTIONS: CALL APPT. DESK 708-485-4651   
OWNER: OF RECORD OWNER'S PHONE: 
BROKER: RE/MAX PARTNERS ID: 40335 OFFICE PHONE: 708-484-2300
AGENT: ANTHONY LA MONICA ID#: 404141 AGENT'S PHONE #1: 708 795-5000
E-MAIL: TONYLASELLS@YAHOO.COM AGENT'S PHONE #2: 
COLISTER: 

INFORMATION NOT GUARANTEED-CHECK FLOOD INSURANCE-ROOM SIZE ROUNDED TO THE NEAREST FOOT

hvychev

I also forgot to add that the buyers of the "Castle House" on 19th & Clinton were professionals from Oak Park. Berwyn........a very Cosmopolitan place to reside. 8)

Boris

Just refinanced...my place (about as far north in Berwyn as you can get...) went up almost $100K in just under a year. And I didn't "buy it for a song"...the avergae price for homes in N. Berwyn is at or approaching $300K; when I bought a year ago the average was $195K.

¡VIVA EL NORTE!
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Guy_on_Clinton

Ya see .. this is what so called "bungalow purists" dont understand.... we want to update our homes... because we cant afford to buy again in Berwyn...

I looked at a 5 br with attic conversion last week...   had the room .. but needed tons of work and the price was in the 320s... its going to be cheaper for me to do the second story addition that i've talked about before..... because there is less work for me to do on the 1st floor... I could dump 80-90K to do the basement and attic... and still have equity....

The problem is that all these builders are ripoffs... I'm gonna have someone from Hinsdale over next week... for consult... will fill you guys in...

GOLD COAST  :o

markweiner

Guy:

My friend owns a bungalow at 3005 or 3009 Maple, the third house. Check it out.  You may want a bigger addition, I do not know.  The whole purpose behind the second floor addition was to make it fit in with the surroundings. It was done very nicely and I know the owner liked the work of the construction people. I would be more than happy to find out the name of the company that did the work.

MarkWeiner1@Hotmail.Com

Robert Pauly

I think Mark is talking about the bungalow in the 2900 bolck of Maple.  Big dormer on the second story that's unnoticable from the street.

Ana

I'm sure you've done this already, but the Chicago Bungalow Association has a list of Vendors on their site and they also have some guidelines that bungalow owners can follow when they are adding dormers/second floors to their bungalows.  I think you can still purchase plans from them.  I wish we had a comparable association in Berwyn for our bungalows/historic buildings.  Also, there are some great ideas for updating your bungalow and still keeping it a bit "period" in the whole Bungalow books series by Jane Powell and/or Linda Svendsen. 

I know what you mean about not being able to afford anything of a decent size now in Berwyn.  I couldn't touch my house at its current market value.  We will be here for a very, very long time. 

Make us (bungalow owners) proud!!!

Ana
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: markweiner on February 08, 2006, 11:10:37 AM
Guy:

My friend owns a bungalow at 3005 or 3009 Maple, the third house. Check it out.  You may want a bigger addition, I do not know.  The whole purpose behind the second floor addition was to make it fit in with the surroundings. It was done very nicely and I know the owner liked the work of the construction people. I would be more than happy to find out the name of the company that did the work.

MarkWeiner1@Hotmail.Com

in front of the park? i think you mentioned it before, mark... i looked at it... looks good.

I wonder if you could ask for the builder.... and a ballpark figure?  I know.. I'm a jerk.

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: Art on February 08, 2006, 11:36:21 AM
I'm sure you've done this already, but the Chicago Bungalow Association has a list of Vendors on their site and they also have some guidelines that bungalow owners can follow when they are adding dormers/second floors to their bungalows. 
Ana

Yes.. i bought their plans for the "Dormer Addition" for $10 bucks... and its at least given us a starting point when talking to the contractors... I know i definitely don't want a SHED dormer.... I'd prefer to have the "small garage" land on the back of my roof...
:-\

Ana

I am proud of you!  If you ever want to borrow my Bungalow books for more ideas, let me know.

Ana.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bru67

Quote from: Been_A_Fix on August 21, 2005, 11:16:23 PM
I am considering making my first home purchase and it is just me and a cat so I figured a Bungalow would be perfect size. Plus. I work in the loop and want to live closer to work. Given OP is expensive, Forest Pk has an existing housing stock that is overpriced and mostly ugly, I was curious what the demographics of ppl are on this board and where they came from. I just wanted to get an idea as to how many of these homes are being updated or being treated poorly. Also was curious how common it is to have modern things like central air and forced air heat.

As average prices climb over $300k, we're seeing more and more young professional people coming in here as an alternative to OP and FP.  I expect the trend to continue (unless prices drop, which would be unprecedented).  As you said, OP is entirely too expensive for what you get (both the house and taxes) and FP's housing stock is pricey, not nearly as nice as ours (a lot of wood frame stuff) and the schools are worse than ours.  You're paying for Madison St. and the trendy name to utter.  The main competitors to Berwyn now are NW side neighborhoods like Portage Park, Belmont Cragin, Jefferson Park, etc.  Great areas but the commute to the Loop is too long (30 minutes + each way), which is why I ruled them out.

Many of the bungalows have central A/C and modern amenities, to varying degrees.  Forced air heat will actually lower the value of the house, as most people prefer radiant heat.  The best bet, as with any old house, is one which isn't updated, as close to original as you possible, and has the "right things wrong" (cosmetics).  You will have to have vision, patience and a very good contractor but you can fix it up how you want and still be ahead.     

You'll pay a premium for a house that is already fixed up and, unfortunately, a lot of "flippers" are discovering Berwyn.  They're buying neglected homes and doing cheap rehabs in hopes of turning a quick buck.  I would avoid those because you'll pay for low quality.     

markweiner

Not in front of the park.  One block over and down.  In any case, I have mentioned it before. I just put in a call for the company, price.  I suspect you get what you pay for. If you have a private email would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I will post it here.

Mark

markweiner

Ironic.  The company is out of business.  He will check on the price, which included gutting the entire house.

Mark

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on January 13, 2006, 10:41:11 AM
anyone see that they cut the trees around that Bungalow on 21st & Home... it really looks nice now.. I wonder if its up for sale.

Anyone know the scoop?

$499K asking price.... holy moses!!! Before and after...

franklin train

What a huge difference! Looks great!