News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Jeff Hanneman

Started by scottymac, May 04, 2013, 01:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottymac

Probably not too many Slayer fans around here, but it did make CNN, etc.

Founding member of iconic heavy metal band Slayer dead at 49 yesterday.

I'm a huge fan, and this may be the demise of the band.

I wouldn't dare say RIP, or comment that Jeff is "up there jamming with (so and so)". Jeff was an atheist and wrote music with that in mind. We did lose a creative talent that was integral to creating the metal genre known as Thrash and/or Speed metal. And writing on an album that forever changed the metal scene.

"......Angel of Death.....Flying free....."

menace2society

What's left of Slayer is a joke.   Kerry King doesn't get along with anyone and has single-handedly ruined the band.   Jeff was never coming back and Dave being booted recently has resulted in the resurrection of Grip, Inc.  #RipJeff.   He wrote the most famous Slayer riffs, not KK.

Bonster

Quote from: menace2society on May 04, 2013, 09:34:56 AM
He wrote the most famous Slayer riffs, not KK.
You are exactly right, menace.  His solos were better, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2, Praise of Death

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: scottymac on May 04, 2013, 01:38:47 AM
I wouldn't dare say RIP, or comment that Jeff is "up there jamming with (so and so)". Jeff was an atheist and wrote music with that in mind.
Good post. 

I would add only that if someone were to say that, it would be "down there jamming with (so and so) ..." because HELL AWAITS.  >:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2, lurking in the dismal fog...

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scottymac

Well, I stand corrected, there are Slayer fans here! Met ya once Bonster, and (no offense) would not have guessed you for a Slayer fan. Cool.

Gary Holt was/is a great fill in for Jeff and had some really classy words after Jeff died. To the effect of, "it was an honor to try and perform your songs to the best of my ability every night" (paraphrasing).

And Tom has mentioned on more than a few occasions retirement. He's never been his old self on stage since the back surgery.

Check out Dave Lombardo drum cam footage from Yankee Stadium from the Big 4 show. Sound sucks as it' a guy with a handheld behind Dave's kit, but he's just unfuckinbeleivable. And I'll say it, better than Peart.