News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Patio and landscaping recommendations?

Started by Port Meadow, May 14, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Port Meadow

Hello--I'm looking for recommendations for someone to install a paver patio in our backyard, as well as some landscaping in the front back. I've seen a bunch of businesses mentioned on this message board, but am hoping someone could share their recent experiences and recommendations. Looking for a landscaper who is professional, bonded and insured, responds quickly, works with your budget and does quality work.

Thanks!

exPROPer

Last summer we had Wilson Ware Group from LaGrange Park do our backyard.  John Ware did a fantastic job, worked and stayed within our budget.  He was very easy to work with.  He turned our Berwyn backyard into a beautiful usable yard.  Highly recommended by us!  We found him on Angie's List. 

Port Meadow

Thanks! Have an appointment set up with them. What did you have done to your yard?

exPROPer

We had a complete backyard redesign...new fence (John custom designed it and it looks wonderful), paver patio in two places, sod, planting beds around the outside of the yard and a custom built pergola which looks beautiful.  We didn't have him do the planting because we wanted to do that (and are working on that now), but he gave us plenty of plant recommendations.  Our yard goes from total shade to partial shade to full sun so he helped us think through what to plant. 

buzz

Does the City require a permit for the pergola ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Port Meadow

How long should it take for a landscaper to get you an estimate? I've had a couple companies--both respected and recommended--come out for estimates for a paver patio and landscaping, and have been waiting over a week for both to get back to me on pricing. I know it's summer and they're really busy, but is this typical? I've followed up but nothing so far. I'm starting to feel like maybe they don't want the job? Berwyn is apparently a pain to deal with for permitting--go figure. Does anyone have another landscaper to recommend?

exPROPer

Yes, we needed to get a permit for pergola.

Here is our experience with getting the bids back.  If we don't hear something back in a week or two we move on to other companies.  If they want your business they will drive the process.  If they don't need the business they will either not get back or move so slow you don't know if they want it or not. 

On the other hand, a good business will give you their time frames and stay in contact so they get the business.  If a contractor tells me he has a month of business ahead of me I'm fine with that rather than the guy who disappears, doesn't communicate and then is surprised when I don't hire him.

A lot of small business guys could use customer service training!!

buzz

Quote from: exPROPer on June 05, 2013, 12:55:33 PM
  If we don't hear something back in a week or two we move on to other companies.  If they want your business they will drive the process.   
Yep.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?