News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Brando's has closed

Started by buzz, November 02, 2013, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

bigolo

While this is sad news indeed, it's really not a big suprise!  Their food quality was as consistent as their hours of operation. They have been on a downward spiral for quite some time now. With that said, It always hurts to see another empty store front!

exPROPer

That is two restaurants in the Depot District to close in one week.  Too many empty places on Windsor. 

Anyone know if the City of Berwyn has any plans for this area of Berwyn???

berwynres

I will ask the same question I asked when Garv's closed.  This place received TIF money for its remodeling, I believe.  What happens now?  Does the BDC get its money back, or is it another freebie handout to some friends of the BDC who just wanted to give it a try at opening a business for awhile, and the business owner-dominated BDC doesn't give a f@%! about the property taxpaying residents who are stuck bankrolling this bull&*!$, at the expense of other more pressing city services.

Business owners complain about the welfare state, yet they have no problem taking free money corporate welfare from the state for their ill-managed and poorly planned businesses.  And, then, they walk away when they fail and take a tax write off.

tlcnurse

We want to wish Brian the very best of luck in his future endeavors. It is so very sad to see any business close it's doors.

Wilson

It helps to stay open when you pay the state your sales tax.

Also, keep your eyes on the old Lou's Pizza and Beef in the next couple weeks.

mustang54

Not surprising. That was probably one of the worst run businesses I have ever seen. Actually thought it would be gone a little sooner.

buzz

Quote from: tlcnurse on November 03, 2013, 07:32:34 AM
We want to wish Brian the very best of luck in his future endeavors.
+1000

Ted

The closing of these businesses in the Depot District reminded me of the presentation a few years back by the city planning consultants hired by the BDC/city.

In that presentation, they kept referring to the Depot District as the "downtown" area of the city and that the city plans would emphasize building the Depot District as the "go-to" spot of the city.

It seemed like these consultants thought the Depot District could be turned into something like Lagrange around the train station on La Grange Road.

It's sad to see these businesses closing. 

Were the city/BDC plans wrong?  Is the expectation wrong? 

Or is the area too remote to attract anything other than local people?  Is it just the old business adage of location, location, location?

Is it better for the BDC/city to promote Roosevelt Road and Cermak Road and Ogden?

Finally, when the Depot District TIF initial time period ends, should it be extended?

buzz

Quote from: Ted on November 03, 2013, 11:10:45 AM
   Finally, when the Depot District TIF initial time period ends, should it be extended?
Definitely not.  Just give it a proper Viking funeral.

whitesoxfan

Quote from: berwynres on November 03, 2013, 07:20:49 AM

I will ask the same question I asked when Garv's closed.  This place received TIF money for its remodeling, I believe.  What happens now?  Does the BDC get its money back, or is it another freebie handout to some friends of the BDC who just wanted to give it a try at opening a business for awhile, and the business owner-dominated BDC doesn't give a f@%! about the property taxpaying residents who are stuck bankrolling this bull&*!$, at the expense of other more pressing city services.

Business owners complain about the welfare state, yet they have no problem taking free money corporate welfare from the state for their ill-managed and poorly planned businesses.  And, then, they walk away when they fail and take a tax write off.

Garv's never received one dime of TIF money. I hardly think that being opened for 46 years qualifies for giving it a try at opening a business for awhile. It is a travesty what is happening in the DD. Brian and I lived across the street from each other growing up and is considered one of my best friends. Everyone must know that both of us had nothing but the good of Berwyn in our intentions. Hopefully he will have better luck at his new place.
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook