Wishbone returning to Berwyn - at Olive or Twist!

Started by Bonster, November 10, 2013, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Two weeks ago Olive or Twist shut down "The Restaurant" and are bringing back Wishbone in its place.

This is huge for the Depot District, in the midst of all the recent DD closures.  First, they are a destination and will promote.  Second, they are consistent in their menus and with their preparation.  Rather than trying to sell an unknown with Olive or Twist, you have an established brand.  And with the well-known lack of Depot District traffic, this is a much-needed draw.

Yes, I'll miss my double bone-in pork chop & cheese grits with sage broth, but Wishbone's shrimp & grits will do me just fine!

From their Facebook page:

"Its time to make good on the promise of an announcement:
We are excited to bring back a Berwyn favorite to Olive or Twist and the Depot District. Opening the beginning of December, we welcome Joel Nickson's southern cuisine restaurant Wishbone.  Olive or Twist's specialty drinks coupled with Wishbone's southern style cooking should make for quite a unique dining experience. So let's welcome Wishbone back to the neighborhood and plan your dinner outing.  Look for more info as we progress.

Thanks to all for your patience and support."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MC

Bonster

J'sMom

It is interesting that the Crain's article mentioned that it is a "pop-up" location. "A spokeswoman for Wishbone confirmed the partnership and added that the restaurant could become permanent if business is good."

Bonster

I think it will do better than OoTtR.  Established name/brand will draw people better than OoTtR, and will not rely as much on drive-by traffic.   

If OoTtR can last 3 years, Wishbone should last 6, IMHO.   

Noble Falcon

Great news and best of luck to the connections. Did the owner/chef from the Depot dinner on Roosevelt have something to do with Olive or twist? Does anyone know if the diner is still open? My wife and I have not visited in a long time. Thanks :usa:

exPROPer

I drove by the Depot Diner the other day.  It is closed and a new sign says it will open under the name:  Creole Soul.  Don't know if it is the same owner as the Depot Diner.

Guy_on_Clinton

Went to OT last night....  place was packed.
great selection of microbrews..    Wishbone nextdoor was full too.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

berwyn senator

I would welcome any restaurants back in Berwyn,especially the Depot District.Walking to a nice place like we did years ago would be a pleasure.

pkd50

I just called to make reservations for 8 tomorrow.  They are closed on Sunday!  I thought they did brunch.

Guy_on_Clinton

we went again last night... everyseat was reserved.. EVEN the bar....  we left and went to James Joyce for the 1st time... nice crowd...  good jukebox music... and beer selection....    special of the day was HAMMS.... lol had to try it, only 2 bucks... 
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

berwyn senator

Hamms, a name from sky blue waters,remember the bear in the canoe?

pkd50

Why would a restaurant close on Sunday?  Monday I understand, but aren't weekends when people are dining out?  Now 8 people will not be spending money in Berwyn.  I'm the only former Berwynite.  I tried, because I really like Wishbone.

berwyn senator

Didn't they close once before?Just because people open a business does not mean they are business minded!!!

justme

Quote from: pkd50 on April 06, 2014, 09:01:04 AM
Why would a restaurant close on Sunday?  Monday I understand, but aren't weekends when people are dining out?  Now 8 people will not be spending money in Berwyn.  I'm the only former Berwynite.  I tried, because I really like Wishbone.

That is odd, since Sundays are always good for restaurants. It's Mondays when you see the smaller ones closed.

Bonster

It is a pop-up, not a full-blown restaurant.  They are operating during Olive or Twist's business hours, not as a standalone restaurant.  If they end up staying they'll be doing Saturday and Sunday brunch.

Bonster

Quote from: pkd50 on April 06, 2014, 09:01:04 AM
Why would a restaurant close on Sunday?  Monday I understand, but aren't weekends when people are dining out?  Now 8 people will not be spending money in Berwyn.

Check out Autre Monde's Sunday brunch... spectacular!

pkd50

I wanted dinner reservations.  We made other plans, but thanks for the suggestion.