News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Aldermman Where are You?

Started by berwyn senator, January 07, 2014, 12:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

I am so glad that I have an alderman,never see him never answers calls,never see him out in the ward,has no clue what is going on in the ward.I understand it is a hard job attending meetings spending their expense account,collecting  a salary. If you see one out in the ward please let every one know what an alderman looks like.

pkd50

Many years ago when I first moved to Berwyn, the first person to stop by and welcome us was Mike Walker.  He was a precinct captain for Don Pechous.  Asked if we needed anything.  Told him what would be helpful.  He said consider it done.  Told him we were registered Dems.  He said he'd work hard to change that.  Don stopped by a week later to see if I got the trash pick up I needed. 

justme

It's not an election year, so I doubt we will see them any time soon...

berwynson

Way back, our Alderman was Bob Jerrick, who lived a few doors north of 18th. St. on the west side of Highland. He was maybe a bit younger than my folks, not more than a couple years, though, a Lawyer, had a son also Robert, a bit younger than I.

Jerrick came to our front door fairly often, once or twice sat down in the living room to converse with my folks. He was very active at election time, "promoting" that ages-old Crook County method of securing votes. My folks took the dough, didn't want to hurt his feelings, I guess; they voted as they saw fit to anyway, my Mom always said.

When my Dad retired, my folks planning to move to a couple of acres in Michigan, I could not see giving up living in the old bungalow I was born in, having been there 24 years, me being then married one year, and we living with them. This was in 1966. They had a little house built in MI, and the Senator helped us move them, he driving the rental truck, a job which he seemed to relish!

So the young wife & I bought the bungalow from them. Bob Jerrick called Stan Loula, V.P. at Cicero First National Bank, on Austin & Cermak, told him to set up a Land Trust for us, we took out a mortgage, and remained in the bungalow until 1972, the year my Dad died. Jerrick charged us nothing for his services, the Trust providing protection against lawsuits: only a court order could bring about any info. about who owned the bungalow. The bank charged a ridiculously small fee for maintaining that trust in effect.

Bob Jerrick ran for Mayor of Berwyn prior to my folks leaving, don't recall the exact time frame. He lost the election, maybe to Emil Vacin, not sure on that one anymore, either. Asked by my folks why he lost, he replied the other candidate had much more money to spend! My folks thought he would have made a good Mayor.

Thanks for reading my little biographical thing here!    berwynson

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on January 07, 2014, 12:32:02 PM
Many years ago when I first moved to Berwyn, the first person to stop by and welcome us was Mike Walker.  He was a precinct captain for Don Pechous.  Asked if we needed anything.  Told him what would be helpful.  He said consider it done.  Told him we were registered Dems.  He said he'd work hard to change that.  Don stopped by a week later to see if I got the trash pick up I needed.

I thought Pechous was a Democrat (at least he ran as a Democrat when he ran for City Clerk).  Was he a Republican back then?

berwynson

The name Pechous seems familiar. What time frame was that?    berwynson

Ted

Quote from: berwynson on January 07, 2014, 01:03:17 PM
The name Pechous seems familiar. What time frame was that?    berwynson

I think there were at least three Pechous brothers.  Don was 1st ward alderman, then city clerk.

Robert Pechous was Township President for many years. 

I think there was a third brother who served in the state legislature as a Republican, but I don't remember his name.

pkd50

Don was the First Ward Ald. & he was a Republican.  Rick Toman's ex wife and kids lived next door.  He was there often. A nice guy. He was the Third Ward Ald.  I think they were the only Rep. Ald at the time, and the only Rep Ald. we ever knew.  Unless you count the one from the old neighborhood who always ran in opposed, but was really a Dem. lol

pkd50

Ted I think the other brother you're talking about is Roy.  Another brother was on the BFD

berwyn senator

Pechous boys were a tough group my buddies father was a Berwyn cop he new them well.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: pkd50 on January 07, 2014, 12:32:02 PM
When we first moved to Berwyn in 1988 we lived in the 8th Ward.  I don't even remember who our alderman was but a short while after we moved in our precinct captain (who lived right around the corner) also stopped by to introduce himself and got us registered to vote and told us to call him if we had any problems or concerns.  I think his name was Frank Cole.  Nowadays, I doubt many people know or even care who their alderman is except if they have a problem or their taxes go up.  And since most people with a mortgage have their taxes included in the payment they just chalk up up a $100 monthly increase to the fact that things go up.  If you pay your own taxes and have to come up with an extra thousand or two on your second half tax bill you tend to get a little more upset about it.  I think it's called voter apathy.  Long term residents who feel the squeeze the most and complain the most are the biggest pains for the alderman and some of the newer, younger residents are upset with the fact that we question tax increases for the schools in particular.  We're seen as non progressive and anti Berwyn because we ask too many questions.  I say we've been footing the bills the longest around here and are completely legitimate with our questions and concerns.

berwyn senator

Donald ,Roy,Robert,and Vern Pechous.

berwyn senator

I am glad to be a pain in the ass!

buzz

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 07, 2014, 06:45:27 PM
I say we've been footing the bills the longest around here and are completely legitimate with our questions and concerns.
thank you
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 07, 2014, 06:45:27 PM
When we first moved to Berwyn in 1988 we lived in the 8th Ward.  I don't even remember who our alderman was ...

I think Moe Dimenna was the 8th ward alderman back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

~LL~

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 07, 2014, 12:17:42 PM
I am so glad that I have an alderman,never see him never answers calls,never see him out in the ward,has no clue what is going on in the ward.I understand it is a hard job attending meetings spending their expense account,collecting  a salary. If you see one out in the ward please let every one know what an alderman looks like.

Third Ward Alderman ALWAYS responds to to her constituents - and keeps us informed about what is going on in Council/the  City in general.  She also speaks her mind versus going along lemming-like -- and consistently demonstrates  the courage of  her convictions.  Marge  rocks!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

berwyn senator

~LL~

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 09, 2014, 05:13:42 PM
You've got a keeper!!!!!!!!

We sure hope so.  She raised the  bar on Aldermanic conduct, for sure.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.