Bubba's Place (an owner of Brando's)

Started by Bonster, January 10, 2014, 07:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

One of the owners of Brando's has a new place opening today on Ogden

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bubbas-Place/170412926499186

Yesterday's post:
"Very excited to announce that we will officially open tomorrow - Friday January 10th at 11:30 am. Share the news with friends and family then stop in and grab a delicious bite to eat!"

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

BEEF and MEATBALL.
I haven't seen that since Giovanni's was on Roosevelt. If it's anywhere near as good as Giovanni's was - with red sauce & provolone - it's a serious mouthgasm with the unusual marriage of these two textures and flavors. 

scottymac

Mouthgasm.

I was having a pretty shitty day until I read that.

You're like the Al Goldstein of food.

Good luck to Brian in the new venture. Will be stopping by.

renovatorbear

Bonster

Quote from: scottymac on January 10, 2014, 12:21:47 PM
You're like the Al Goldstein of food.

An idol of mine; thanks for the compliment!

And yes, RIP AL!

Bonster

Now where were we?  Yes... BEEF and MEATBALL!!!

(click to enlarge)

....killer!

note: it's in the old Lou's Beef and Pizza joint; they don't yet have their own signage.   It could be in an old leper's strip club for all I care, as long as they keep making THESE.

justme

Couldn't he just open it where Brando's was? Or did something else go there?

Beef and meatball...I am THERE! :oink:

buzz

I was there today.  Slightly smaller menu, same good food. 
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

Quote from: B o n s t e r on January 10, 2014, 01:17:32 PM
note: it's in the old Lou's Beef and Pizza joint;

Good - right down the block.

I always thought what was wrong with this location was that you can see it only from the east driving west.  They should put some signage up that can be seen from Ridgeland, 34th street and on Ogden driving east.

renovatorbear

Quote from: B o n s t e r on January 10, 2014, 01:17:32 PM
It could be in an old leper's strip club for all I care, as long as they keep making THESE.

Hopefully the meatballs are not made of old lepers.  :coreyhart:

seebee

Quote from: Ted on January 11, 2014, 06:28:01 AM

I always thought what was wrong with this location was that you can see it only from the east driving west.  They should put some signage up that can be seen from Ridgeland, 34th street and on Ogden driving east.

Has anyone tried opening a needed business with a fantastic product or service compared to competitors at a fair price?

mustang54

Quote from: seebee on January 11, 2014, 12:46:28 PM
Quote from: Ted on January 11, 2014, 06:28:01 AM

Has anyone tried opening a needed business with a fantastic product or service compared to competitors at a fair price?
Interesting question. What do you think is a needed business that we don't already have in the area?

moose

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

justme

Closed?? Didnt they just open yesterday??

Good Time Charlie

Finally something beat Riddles and Tootsie's Cupcakes for the short lived award.

renovatorbear

We went there around 1:30pm this afternoon and they were open.

seebee

Quote from: mustang54 on January 11, 2014, 12:49:17 PM
Interesting question. What do you think is a needed business that we don't already have in the area?

I'd really try to study the demographics of the area in whatever way possible before giving a serious answer to that question.
That said, I can only think of two or three things that might work, imo, but I'm not a consultant for business planning, I don't know how to research to see if the area would support my plan. I'd surely investigate before dumping a bunch of $ and sweat equity into it though.

I was hoping Lou's was gonna be the best beef in the area. Tried it four or five times. IMO, nothing made it standout as being better than any of the other spots in the immediate vicinity, it was not superior product. Tried a dog there once, and I got a gray weenie that was obviously from the day before on a stale bun, and I ordered that for my 3 yr old. Kinda pist me off. Therefore, my only experience with their hot dogs was that they took no pride, or just hoped to get by with slopping out garbage. I'm sure that wasn't their plan, but the owner was the person who made it, and since he was the one who wouldn't check the quality (there was NOBODY ELSE in the place when he made that dog for me,) I can only assume he didn't want me to come back, or didn't care about his product, or just assumed I wouldn't care. IMO, slopping out a garbage dog in between Henry's and Novi's is not a decent business plan. No,I didn't tell the owner about it, that is NOT my responsibilty to him, and I do not HAVE to care. I can just go somewhere that does it better closer to my house since there are plenty of beef/dog stands in the area.

GO BUBBA'S! I'll be there soon. Hope they can rock a meatball like Brando's did. I think Brando's meatball sammich was one of the best I ever had. They used to rock a serious burger as well, but the last two I had were definitely not the same as the first ones, so I quit their burgers.

But, for a funny answer to your question, Mustang:

A liquor store with a Hitler Youth rally hall in the back that serves shitty Mexican food, and processes title loans at 200% apr.

OR

A place that offers a consistently superior product to the competitors at a fair price.

mustang54

Unless someone has a really good beef sandwhich and knows how to run a business they will fail like all the others. Tried Lou's food 3 times and it sucked. Brandos food was ok but if Bubba's has the same food and is run like Brandos was it will also fail. Not being open at noon on a Saturday is a good start for the same trend that was Brandos. Next you will order something and they will tell you they are out of it. Had that happen plenty at Brandos. Like a whole lot of others I really miss Mr. Beef.
  I'll answer my own question now about what I would like to see that we don't have around here. I would like to see the closed down restaurant on Harlem and Ogden and the auto repair shop property next to it become a Red Lobster. I think that would make it big time. We don't need any more sandwhich type shops or hamburger chains. I've heard that Steak and Shake might be going next to the new Super Walmart on Cicero Avenue. That will be a gold mine.
  I really can't wait to see how The Big Hurt Brewhouse helps revitalize the Oak Park and Cermak area. I really think it will be the shot in the arm that area has needed for decades. I took someone down Roosevelt Road who has not been down there in years and they couldn't believe how it changed. The same could happen to Cermak Road.

Bonster

Ehh...Brando's had the same burgers from day one till the end.  What did change was their pizza dough.

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on January 12, 2014, 09:15:06 AM

GO BUBBA'S! I'll be there soon. Hope they can rock a meatball like Brando's did. I think Brando's meatball sammich was one of the best I ever had. They used to rock a serious burger as well

I wouldn't put it (the beef & meatball combo) on the same level as Giovanni's (when they were on Roosevelt, using grated provolone),  but it's the fact they even make it.  No one else around here does.  It may be the only thing I'll ever eat there, and if it was the only thing on the menu it would be a perfect business plan for ME. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk