Bubba's Place (an owner of Brando's)

Started by Bonster, January 10, 2014, 07:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I had the same experience with Lou's - the beef was dry and not very tasty. The pizza was the kind you find in the frozen food section of a supermarket. 

Also, I wonder if this kind of establishment will work in this area. There's a reasons Winnie's closed up and Lou's failed.

Finally, being next to an auto body shop is not very inviting.

seebee

Bonster, Tonini's has been pimping some beef/meatball sammich forever. Perhaps that could float your boat. Forgot what they call it. (Maybe it's "The Monarch???) Also, I posted something about the burgers at Brando's changing one day, and someone pm'd me or commented in the thread that they noticed a definite change as well. Perhaps they switched to and fro a few times, but I noticed a MAJOR change and simply gave up after tossing the second burger in a row that was different.

Mustang, I was just trying to be nice about Lou's calling it "nothing special." It may have been the best beef to the owner's tastes, but seriously, I doubt I could tell it apart from a host of other places side by side in which case I don't even understand what the owner was trying to accomplish by selling the same thing other places that have been doing for YEARS just down the street.

Red Lobster, huh? Interesting. Why a Red Lobster? I'd have never thought about a Red Lobster on Harlem & Ogden, but I don't really dig on that place. That's why I would need to study the area before opening a business. In my own little private world, I'd think that a Chinese restaurant that actually takes pride in their food would absolutely RULE this area and put every other Chinese joint in the area out of business within a year or two. Something like the new outpost of Katy's in the OP Mall. The Chinese food here is atrocious, cheap celery and carrot filler with cornstarch laden glop, yet somehow, there are joints that are doing business. That spot should be used for something tho. Decent parking lot, plenty of traffic, but getting in/out would be tough. Shitty Mexican food served with fruit flies was definitely not the best use of that space.

Red Lobster tho. Yeah, didn't see that one coming, but you may be right for a place to "make it." I just wouldn't have thunk it since I'm not a big fan.

renovatorbear

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Red Lobster. The parent company (Darden) is trying to divest itself of RL as soon as possible.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/12/19/red_lobster_spinoff_here_s_why_darden_restaurants_is_trying_to_get_rid_of.html

buzz

Boo.  Red Lobster has been my goto alternative since Buresh closed.
It is what it is; always clean, moderately priced and consistently good food.
Never been a fan of Olive Garden.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

justme

Quote from: mustang54 on January 12, 2014, 10:06:09 AM
  Unless someone has a really good beef sandwhich and knows how to run a business they will fail like all the others. Tried Lou's food 3 times and it sucked. Brandos food was ok but if Bubba's has the same food and is run like Brandos was it will also fail. Not being open at noon on a Saturday is a good start for the same trend that was Brandos. Next you will order something and they will tell you they are out of it. Had that happen plenty at Brandos. Like a whole lot of others I really miss Mr. Beef.
  I'll answer my own question now about what I would like to see that we don't have around here. I would like to see the closed down restaurant on Harlem and Ogden and the auto repair shop property next to it become a Red Lobster. I think that would make it big time. We don't need any more sandwhich type shops or hamburger chains. I've heard that Steak and Shake might be going next to the new Super Walmart on Cicero Avenue. That will be a gold mine.
  I really can't wait to see how The Big Hurt Brewhouse helps revitalize the Oak Park and Cermak area. I really think it will be the shot in the arm that area has needed for decades. I took someone down Roosevelt Road who has not been down there in years and they couldn't believe how it changed. The same could happen to Cermak Road.

Oh Mr. Beef was THE beef sandwich The end. Gosh I still miss their beef.

I heard awhile back that Red Lobster is supposed to open next to Olive Garden, however with the stirrings of how RL isn't doing well, we don't need another unstable business going in anyway. We DO need more chains and people may argue that but we do. Chains will pull people into Berwyn, we cant rely on these small businesses for the pull.Ogden Ave is a big Berwyn fail. That is Route 66! It should be booming. When they have the car show, there should be GOOD restaurants that will benefit from that. We lost Sonic and Steak and hake to Cicero-both would have made a pile of cash during the car shows alone! That eyesore on Harlem and Ogden needs to be something because that is a busy intersection. Maybe a good 24/7 restaurant (along the lines of a Mother's Day).Or how about a Corner Bakery or Panera?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: seebee on January 12, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

Red Lobster, huh? Interesting. Why a Red Lobster? I'd have never thought about a Red Lobster on Harlem & Ogden, but I don't really dig on that place. That's why I would need to study the area before opening a business. In my own little private world, I'd think that a Chinese restaurant that actually takes pride in their food would absolutely RULE this area and put every other Chinese joint in the area out of business within a year or two. Something like the new outpost of Katy's in the OP Mall. The Chinese food here is atrocious, cheap celery and carrot filler with cornstarch laden glop, yet somehow, there are joints that are doing business. That spot should be used for something tho. Decent parking lot, plenty of traffic, but getting in/out would be tough. Shitty Mexican food served with fruit flies was definitely not the best use of that space.

Red Lobster tho. Yeah, didn't see that one coming, but you may be right for a place to "make it." I just wouldn't have thunk it since I'm not a big fan.

Maybe we can get Tony to open a Lao Berwyn.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Justme I heard the RL to North Riverside rumor about 6 months ago from 2 different people. They said they heard it from a waitress at Red Lobster. I'm with Buzz I'll take Red Lobster over Olive Garden any day of the week.

Wilson

I had a beef from Bubba's and it was delicious!  He roasts his own beef where Lou used to buy his pre-cooked.  Bubba's really reminds me of mr. Beef!

dukesdad

QuoteRL to North Riverside rumor about 6 months ago from 2 different peopl

In the meantime, Red Lobster has started closing stores, not opening them.

mustang54

Quote from: dukesdad on January 20, 2014, 08:53:19 AM
QuoteRL to North Riverside rumor about 6 months ago from 2 different peopl

In the meantime, Red Lobster has started closing stores, not opening them.
Closing stores doesn't always mean they won't open stores. Closing bad stores is natural. Heck look at Giordanos they closed stores filed bankruptcy and now I read they are opening a new store.

Ted

Well, I went there tonight and I was disappointed. A bought a slice of pizza and a gyros.

The pizza tasted like it was two weeks old and the gyros was not made very well. 

Not sure why people are raving about this place - it seems pretty much like Lou's.

The Jackal

Ted,

You don't go to a beef place to buy Gyros for God's sake.

What's next? Going to a Greek diner for a plate of tortellini carbonara?

LOL!

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on January 23, 2014, 09:45:42 PM

Well, I went there tonight and I was disappointed. A bought a slice of pizza and a gyros.

The pizza tasted like it was two weeks old and the gyros was not made very well. 

Not sure why people are raving about this place - it seems pretty much like Lou's.
So I'm guessing you didn't try the one thing that was raved about - that wonderful mash up of italian beef and meatballs (w/cheese & red sauce)?

I could go for one right now.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on January 24, 2014, 09:13:46 AM
Ted,

You don't go to a beef place to buy Gyros for God's sake.

What's next? Going to a Greek diner for a plate of tortellini carbonara?

LOL!

Hey, I had a taste for gyros and the place is right down the block from me... LOL

Next time I go, I'll try the meatball/beef mash.

Fer

Had to chime in here.  If you're looking for the best gyros in the area, go to Tom's on Harlem.  Quality meat, and their sauce is the best.  We love them.  The chicken pita is great, too. 
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

mustang54

Quote from: Fer on January 25, 2014, 09:05:53 AM
Had to chime in here.  If you're looking for the best gyros in the area, go to Tom's on Harlem.  Quality meat, and their sauce is the best.  We love them.  The chicken pita is great, too.
Toms grilled chicken on pita is really good!

pkd50

I've never had Tom's chicken pita.   What do they put on it.

Wilson

Bubba's double cheeseburger is really good.  I also liked the pizza but I may have just been lucky as it was just out of the oven. :oink:

watcher

Quote from: Fer on January 25, 2014, 09:05:53 AM

Where does it rank compared to Kings and Queens in its prime?

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass