News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Giovanni's on Windsor

Started by exPROPer, February 16, 2014, 08:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exPROPer

Does anyone know what is going on with Giovanni's (Garvs)?

Lights and TV are on.  Never see cars across the street.  Poor signage that is not going to draw customers.

:( 

moose

Looks like Giovanni's is now closed too! I drove by the other day, all the signage is gone, the place was dark.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

exPROPer

We're not sure they were ever really open after Garvs  left.  Their signage looked hand made, lights were always turned down low, no advertising. The place did not look inviting to enter.  Early last week they were moving out equipment. 

Since that site was completely rehabbed and looked pretty good maybe someone else will move in. 

berwyn senator

Who paid for all the remodeling?

renovatorbear

You know how some buildings just have a bad vibe and no business ever survives in them? I think this place is just the opposite. It looks like a place that's waiting to happen. At least to me it does.

mustang54

Quote from: renovatorbear on April 29, 2014, 11:50:22 AM
You know how some buildings just have a bad vibe and no business ever survives in them? I think this place is just the opposite. It looks like a place that's waiting to happen. At least to me it does.
I agree. I like the location,the size, and it really looks nice since the renovation. All that said I'm sure the overhead is quite high. Will be very interesting to watch.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: mustang54 on April 29, 2014, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: renovatorbear on April 29, 2014, 11:50:22 AM
I agree. I like the location,the size, and it really looks nice since the renovation. All that said I'm sure the overhead is quite high. Will be very interesting to watch.
I think the problem is as you've stated a number of times - the hospital.  It breaks up any flow of the Depot District at Oak Park Avenue.  Garv's/Giovanni's sits on an island, alone, unseen, and that's too bad.  :(
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

mustang54

I don't think the hospital plays as big a role in the success of a local business as some people think. Some people open a business thinking the constant traffic in and out of the hospital will help them. I don't think it does. Look at all the bars and food places that have all failed and were close to the hospital.
  The bar business is not an easy business to make it in like it once was. Costs have spiraled and it's much cheaper now for people to sit home and drink. Whoever re opens that location better have a gimmick and a mind for promotion. Garvs was really a nice friendly place and it still failed. That location might be better as something else without food or drink.

dukesdad

From what I have heard there were extenuating circumstances that caused Garv's to fail. I think a well run bar could do well there, Garv's did for a long time.

berwyn senator

A bar is as good as the owner is a business person. People still will travel if the bar is run correctly,perfect example Cordial Inn in Brookfield.