News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Morton's Grading System

Started by Suzy Q, February 16, 2014, 11:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

Quote from: mustang54 on May 15, 2014, 08:33:31 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on May 14, 2014, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on May 14, 2014, 10:19:16 PM
  The debate over this system is very interesting. I've read where the same system is used at other schools one of which is Stevenson one of the best performing high schools in the state.

Link and/or citation please. I'm looking for actual scholarly research supporting the benefits of this grading system.
The Life had an article about who else has it. Also an interview with the superintendent to. Maybe check Mortons web site? If you want answers go find them I don't do your research. Answer your own questiuons.

If this post of yours were graded under the old system, you'd get a D minus---a typo, a fundamental misunderstanding of the question, a lot of anger and attitude. But we're under the new system now, so you get a B plus. Congratulations, you're "Morton smart."

Think for a second: If I were looking for scholarly research on the benefits of this system, I wouldn't be looking at the Life or the Morton website. And if I were looking for objective information on it, I wouldn't be going to the leadership of the school that is trying to implement it.

I can certainly do my own research, but I was asking you because you seemed to possess a lot of confidence that this was a good system, and I assumed that was because you had done your own homework on it. I wanted to know how a supporter of this system educated himself about its benefits! But now you've made it clear that you haven't spent any real time looking into this. More posts like this and you're a shoo-in for valedictorian of BTF.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Correction: There were three typos in your last post. A minus!
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on May 15, 2014, 08:54:45 AM
Quote from: mustang54 on May 15, 2014, 08:33:31 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on May 14, 2014, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on May 14, 2014, 10:19:16 PM
  The debate over this system is very interesting. I've read where the same system is used at other schools one of which is Stevenson one of the best performing high schools in the state.

Link and/or citation please. I'm looking for actual scholarly research supporting the benefits of this grading system.
The Life had an article about who else has it. Also an interview with the superintendent to. Maybe check Mortons web site? If you want answers go find them I don't do your research. Answer your own questiuons.
More posts like this and you're a shoo-in for valedictorian of BTF.

Also known as Chief Meatball.

mustang54

Quote from: markberwyn on May 15, 2014, 08:57:54 AM
Thanks for telling me. When I'm in a hurry I really don't care what I type. I wanted to get done fast so that when I got home I could read your usual jerkoff comments. You see unlike you I have a life. I don't have time to troll a web site hundreds of miles away from where I live. But I understand someone like you has to troll a web site 24/7 because you probably have no friends with your sarcastic know it all attitude. As for how Morton is doing I really don't care anymore. It has been what it is for decades and will never change. And as for my anger? I don't get angry by your posts I find them quite sad. I feel sorry for someone like you who has to go through life acting like a prick to strangers on a web site with constant smart ass comments and questions because you have no friends.
  I also find it quite funny how you try to impress yourself with your little mind games because you were probably picked on your whole life and cannot make friends. Behind your computer you are the big man on campus. Hey if you ever come back to Berwyn lets meet up I'll buy you a cup of coffee so I can really find out why you are such a jerk. And then I can see if you have the balls to call me a liar in person. Til then I'm done with you. Have a nice life, if you can ever find one.

markberwyn

Quote from: mustang54 on May 15, 2014, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on May 15, 2014, 08:57:54 AM
Thanks for telling me. When I'm in a hurry I really don't care what I type. I wanted to get done fast so that when I got home I could read your usual jerkoff comments. You see unlike you I have a life. I don't have time to troll a web site hundreds of miles away from where I live. But I understand someone like you has to troll a web site 24/7 because you probably have no friends with your sarcastic know it all attitude. As for how Morton is doing I really don't care anymore. It has been what it is for decades and will never change. And as for my anger? I don't get angry by your posts I find them quite sad. I feel sorry for someone like you who has to go through life acting like a prick to strangers on a web site with constant smart ass comments and questions because you have no friends.
  I also find it quite funny how you try to impress yourself with your little mind games because you were probably picked on your whole life and cannot make friends. Behind your computer you are the big man on campus. Hey if you ever come back to Berwyn lets meet up I'll buy you a cup of coffee so I can really find out why you are such a jerk. And then I can see if you have the balls to call me a liar in person. Til then I'm done with you. Have a nice life, if you can ever find one.

OK, thanks.

Anybody else have peer-reviewed information about the alleged virtues of this new grading system?

markberwyn

Here's 201's own report on what the new system has done to grades. Embarrassing.

https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/PublicItemDownload.aspx?ik=34960857

jfrickind

I'll try to come back with more than anecdotal data in a bit but most schools that have implemented this grading scheme have eliminated the D.  So anything below a C would be considered failing. 

Watch the video from this blog that shows how little a student has to do in order to pass a class.  Then tell me that this system will improve the amount of learning for a Morton student.  The gradebook created mimics the Morton grading system.  Students can pass a class by only doing one or two assignments per semester.  So in 18 weeks a student can pass by taking one test (while in class) and doing one other assignment!  How is that going to improve learning at Morton?

JD

markberwyn

Something I'm confused about: Boosters of this system seem to want to compare it to other districts that have implemented a "standards-based grading system," but is that what's happening at Morton? I get the impression that Morton has implemented one aspect of this, the "equal interval" grading system, but not the broader program. What am I missing?