News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

City Inspectors

Started by yazmonium, February 21, 2014, 11:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toria

It seems like the issue with the inspectors is that there is a room with a bath in the basement and it does not have an easy escape window.  Its not enough to have a window big enough to get out of but one that has some kind of handles that allow the person to get out quickly in the case of an emergency.  That is what I am hearing now from my agent.  I will post more soon when I find other things out.

yazmonium

I can't believe its been 4 months since my last post.  Couple of things - the bathroom had to go.  The stack problem mentioned above causes sewer gas to linger heavily in the basement.  It is going to be a very nice laundry room. 

As for the windows issue:  The minimum opening height has to be 24 inches.  With double hung windows, mine only open to 19.5 in.  So we had to get a European style window that tilts open at the top and swings open from the side.  It didn't seem to matter that there is also a basement door leading to the outside five feet from the window.  I suppose that someone's ne'er-do-well brother-in-law is making a killing.  Things aren't too different here than in the rest of Cook County, right?

So the electrical work is moving along and the inspector should be scheduled to return in the next few weeks.  I'll let you know how it works out.

And a special note to Toria - Rip it out means that everything you own will be covered in a fine white powder.

Toria

As it turns out they did not say anything about the downstairs bath.  They did catch that the ancient wet bar was draining to a floor sewer so that had to be corrected.  The seller is taking care of all the little nickel and dime stuff like outlets and that.  I will be responsible for putting an egress window in the basement "bedroom" even though it will not be used as such.  I am now dealing with the Berwyn contractor list.  Yes there are many to choose from but not one of the ones I wanted.  I need someone to cut out a cabinet for a dishwasher and want to get new formica countertops.  Any ideas there on who would be good and reasonable?

Toria

Another thing that is not clear to me.  When do you need an approved contractor?  The person at city hall made it seem like when you do anything you have to have one but that does not make sense.  For painting?  For floor sanding?  For putting new countertops in?  Or just for stuff like major renovation, electrical and plumbing.  That I can see. 

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Toria on June 26, 2014, 08:13:17 AM
Another thing that is not clear to me.  When do you need an approved contractor?  The person at city hall made it seem like when you do anything you have to have one but that does not make sense.  For painting?  For floor sanding?  For putting new countertops in?  Or just for stuff like major renovation, electrical and plumbing.  That I can see.
Obviously, because they know the city codes.  Less obviously, because they have to pay to be bonded and it's another source of income for the city.  Honestly, why would a homeowner have to have an approved contractor for painting or for floor sanding or putting new countertops in, since a homeowner can do all of those things themselves and I sincerely doubt there are safety issues involved.  It's absolutely ridiculous.

mustang54

I doubt you need to go through all that for a painter,floor sander, or counter tops. I don't think any city or town has paint codes,or floor sanding codes. I think you mis understood the person at your city hall.

yazmonium

So the inspection has been completed and we passed!  The city refunded our deposit in about 3 weeks from the time when the inspector came.  I was worried at first, but the inspector was quite reasonable and saw the effort we made to fix everything.

~LL~

Quote from: Toria on June 25, 2014, 08:28:55 AM
...  I am now dealing with the Berwyn contractor list.  Yes there are many to choose from but not one of the ones I wanted.  I need someone to cut out a cabinet for a dishwasher and want to get new formica countertops.  Any ideas there on who would be good and reasonable?

Did not realize that Berwyn gave out a "list".  Seems to me there could be liability issues if so...or was the list simply of those contractors who have registered with the City of Berwyn and have provided proof of current bond, liability/insurance and proof of workers comp insurance, etc -- as many communities require?  Perhaps a contractor that you do like can contact the City and find out the process/cost of registering with Berwyn.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

jfrickind

That's what we ended up doing with some tuckpointing work.  The particular contractor just had to file and fill out paperwork and then they were "on the list". 

Toria

If you go to city hall they will print out a copy of all the registered and bonded contractors in Berwyn.