Author Topic: Deportation protest marchers coming to Cicero, Berwyn April 7  (Read 9027 times)

Offline Terri

Re: Deportation protest marchers coming to Cicero, Berwyn April 7
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
  Also, what about the kids?

The anchor babies are an even bigger problem.

If you give amnesty to the kids

It's not amnesty.  If a child is born on US soil it's a US citizen which is the reason so many pregnant women make "their journey".

In the business world, it's called "birth tourism".  I read about this a few years ago.  I contacted Senator Durbin for a reply, I got nothing. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/birth-tourism-las-maternity-hotels-enrage-residents-are-they-illegal-1050206

Offline berwyn senator

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
I did not go fishing!

Offline OakParkSpartan

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
You're saying that would be difficult and you're right, because the government ignored immigration laws for the last 30 years or so. But still doesn't make it right or give an excuse to ignore the situation. I'm confused why a liberal would ever support exploitation of workers just because we have been doing it for a long time. You got to say enough's enough sooner or later.

I don't support the exploitation of workers. I just don't support a round-'em-up-and-ship-'em-out approach, because it's expensive on a lot of levels and practically unworkable. What would a better approach be? I'm not certain. That's why I said it was complicated.

Make employers use e-verify and fine them and take their business licenses away. That will dry up the demand and the illegals will self deport. I thought I was clear on that. I guess not.

What about the path to citizenship? Are we interested in finding ways for people to live in the country legally, or are we just looking for ways to make people leave?

Let's work our way through all the people who have followed the LEGAL process.  Then let's move on to illegals.

Also, I'd rather have educated people become citizens (engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs, business men) than uneducated workers doing manual labor.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Offline watcher

• Oh dear, now I suppose I shall have to use force
    • Rawrahs
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Also, I'd rather have educated people become citizens (engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs, business men) than uneducated workers doing manual labor.

Somebody has to clean up after those for whom it would be too demeaning! Might be a good idea to stop knocking honest labor, regardless of caste. Crap like "See that guy shoveling shit? He's why you go to college!"

Unless of course you'd like to come up with an honest measure of "educated" and de-qualify those who obviously miss the mark.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Offline berwyn senator

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
The sad truth the American worker no longer wants to do the manual labor,or maybe not work at all?

Offline Good Time Charlie

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »

Somebody has to clean up after those for whom it would be too demeaning! Might be a good idea to stop knocking honest labor, regardless of caste. Crap like "See that guy shoveling shit? He's why you go to college!"

Unless of course you'd like to come up with an honest measure of "educated" and de-qualify those who obviously miss the mark.

Everyone should get a trophy!

Offline OakParkSpartan

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »

There is lots of unemployed people here.  Let them have first crack at the jobs (and pay may rise because they are not off the books).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato