News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Deportation protest marchers coming to Cicero, Berwyn April 7

Started by justme, March 31, 2014, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Quote from: buzz on April 04, 2014, 06:45:41 PM
Quote from: buzz on April 04, 2014, 04:01:24 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on April 03, 2014, 10:37:07 PM
  Also, what about the kids?
The anchor babies are an even bigger problem.
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 04, 2014, 06:30:46 PM
If you give amnesty to the kids
It's not amnesty.  If a child is born on US soil it's a US citizen which is the reason so many pregnant women make "their journey".

In the business world, it's called "birth tourism".  I read about this a few years ago.  I contacted Senator Durbin for a reply, I got nothing. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/birth-tourism-las-maternity-hotels-enrage-residents-are-they-illegal-1050206

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 07:30:13 PM
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 06:09:45 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 05:34:25 PM
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 05:24:25 PM
You're saying that would be difficult and you're right, because the government ignored immigration laws for the last 30 years or so. But still doesn't make it right or give an excuse to ignore the situation. I'm confused why a liberal would ever support exploitation of workers just because we have been doing it for a long time. You got to say enough's enough sooner or later.

I don't support the exploitation of workers. I just don't support a round-'em-up-and-ship-'em-out approach, because it's expensive on a lot of levels and practically unworkable. What would a better approach be? I'm not certain. That's why I said it was complicated.

Make employers use e-verify and fine them and take their business licenses away. That will dry up the demand and the illegals will self deport. I thought I was clear on that. I guess not.

What about the path to citizenship? Are we interested in finding ways for people to live in the country legally, or are we just looking for ways to make people leave?

Let's work our way through all the people who have followed the LEGAL process.  Then let's move on to illegals.

Also, I'd rather have educated people become citizens (engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs, business men) than uneducated workers doing manual labor.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

watcher

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 17, 2014, 12:13:21 PM
Also, I'd rather have educated people become citizens (engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs, business men) than uneducated workers doing manual labor.

Somebody has to clean up after those for whom it would be too demeaning! Might be a good idea to stop knocking honest labor, regardless of caste. Crap like "See that guy shoveling shit? He's why you go to college!"

Unless of course you'd like to come up with an honest measure of "educated" and de-qualify those who obviously miss the mark.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

berwyn senator

The sad truth the American worker no longer wants to do the manual labor,or maybe not work at all?

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: watcher on April 18, 2014, 11:08:26 AM

Somebody has to clean up after those for whom it would be too demeaning! Might be a good idea to stop knocking honest labor, regardless of caste. Crap like "See that guy shoveling shit? He's why you go to college!"

Unless of course you'd like to come up with an honest measure of "educated" and de-qualify those who obviously miss the mark.

Everyone should get a trophy!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: watcher on April 18, 2014, 11:08:26 AM

There is lots of unemployed people here.  Let them have first crack at the jobs (and pay may rise because they are not off the books).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato