News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Deportation protest marchers coming to Cicero, Berwyn April 7

Started by justme, March 31, 2014, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 08:34:05 AM
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 06:57:34 AMI think if you enforced the law unemployment would drop and nothing bad would happen.

Tell me more. What leads you to think this?

I forget where I learned it but I seem to recall for my dusty college days something called supply and demand. So you figure if you have an unegulated border with a country with a lot of low skill workers then the supply for low wage jobs always going to be high and the demand low which will mean higher unemployment for American citizens. You could always adjust with visas if the supply was too low (that whole they do the jobs in Americans won't do thing that a lot of people think isn't true).

But I could be wrong and you seem like a very smart guy. What makes you think that enforcing the immigration laws would lead to a big problem? Tell us more about that.

Good Time Charlie

author=MindoverMatter link=topic=13408.msg219355#msg219355 date=1396536985]
Deportation is not just about hispanics.  Just wondering....If any of you are hispanic?
[/quote]

If it's not just about Hispanics then why does it matter who is Hispanic LOL!

MindoverMatter

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 10:21:08 AM
author=MindoverMatter link=topic=13408.msg219355#msg219355 date=1396536985]
Deportation is not just about hispanics.  Just wondering....If any of you are hispanic?

If it's not just about Hispanics then why does it matter who is Hispanic LOL!
[/quote]

Most of the above comments made were references to hispanics. Deportation is not just about hispanics it is a FACT...the other one was a question.

Good Time Charlie

I also don't think you really have to deport 'em. All you have to do is require everify and hold employers accountable. They would leave on their own.

markberwyn

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 10:18:11 AM

But I could be wrong and you seem like a very smart guy. What makes you think that enforcing the immigration laws would lead to a big problem? Tell us more about that.

I think the country would be left with a lot of low-wage industries---textiles and agriculture most prominently, but also lots of parts of the service industry---that would be left unfilled. If it's true that American citizens will indeed do those jobs, they will not do them at the wages that people in the country illegally have been doing them for. Then the comfortable sheets you sleep in get more expense. So does supper. So do hotels, prompting less business travel and vacations and likely doing some serious damage to the travel industry. Your life will become more expensive; so will mine, and so will everybody else's.

I say this not as a justification for paying people poorly, just to explain why immigration reform hasn't happened in earnest, and why "kick 'em all out" rhetoric is a non-starter.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Good Time Charlie

Thanks, reading what you've written here can't believe you'd think having people not covered by labor laws or too scared to report because they're illegals is good. If the justification is we need prices low then you also have to say that we should get rid of or lower minimum wage and safety laws to give citizens a fair shake. I doubt anyone thinks that! Get rid of em is redneck response but require everify and focus on the employers. That would dry up demand for illegal labor.

berwyn senator

Many issues need to be resolved in person at a Social Security office,all cannot be resolved on line.

markberwyn

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 11:13:37 AM
Thanks, reading what you've written here can't believe you'd think having people not covered by labor laws or too scared to report because they're illegals is good. If the justification is we need prices low then you also have to say that we should get rid of or lower minimum wage and safety laws to give citizens a fair shake. I doubt anyone thinks that! Get rid of em is redneck response but require everify and focus on the employers. That would dry up demand for illegal labor.

Sounds nice. But there's no motivation for people who are here illegally to report employers that are flouting labor laws---they're here because whatever crummy deal they're getting is better than what they'd get in their home country. And there is no political will to "focus on the employers" because those employers will claim (perhaps rightly in many cases) that they'd be bankrupted if they followed the law. (Call this another example of that harsh government regulation that conservatives are always concerned about.)

Bolstered border protection and higher deportations under the Obama administration have only persuaded the people who are here illegally that they need to stay put. If they leave, it'll be harder to come back in. Knowing that, what's the fix?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

dukesdad

QuoteMany issues need to be resolved in person at a Social Security office,all cannot be resolved on line.

Like?

Suzy Q

How much do you think it costs to educate an illegal child for 12 years?

berwyn senator

I believe the bottom line is the American dollar drives all!!!!  Mustang54 you are so correct!

berwyn senator

Issues with SSI,Disability,Appeals,and the Wick program.etc.

dukesdad

QuoteHow much do you think it costs to educate an illegal child for 12 years?

Maybe less than not educating them?

mustang54

Quote from: MindoverMatter on April 03, 2014, 09:56:25 AM
Don't think anyone said that it is. There are just as many illegals here from all over the world.

berwyn senator

Ever wonder why none of the politicians want to reform immigration or follow the laws already written? Why then can't citizens say fuck the laws I can speed,smoke where ever I want,the hell with seat belts, screw your taxes I am not paying,no need for auto insurance any more, the politicians do it all the time. I think we are a free country? or maybe I am going to declare myself an Illegal!!!!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 03, 2014, 12:04:49 PM
Ever wonder why none of the politicians want to reform immigration or follow the laws already written? Why then can't citizens say fuck the laws I can speed,smoke where ever I want,the hell with seat belts, screw your taxes I am not paying,no need for auto insurance any more, the politicians do it all the time. I think we are a free country? or maybe I am going to declare myself an Illegal!!!!

I'd come to assume that you're already smoking whatever you want.

MindoverMatter

I know that major companies have send out letters of verification of employment to their employees.  Requesting that they show proof they are able to work in the US, and also to confirm your dependents by March 31st.

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 11:13:37 AM

Sounds nice. But there's no motivation for people who are here illegally to report employers that are flouting labor laws---they're here because whatever crummy deal they're getting is better than what they'd get in their home country. And there is no political will to "focus on the employers" because those employers will claim (perhaps rightly in many cases) that they'd be bankrupted if they followed the law. (Call this another example of that harsh government regulation that conservatives are always concerned about.)

Bolstered border protection and higher deportations under the Obama administration have only persuaded the people who are here illegally that they need to stay put. If they leave, it'll be harder to come back in. Knowing that, what's the fix?

The fix is the political will to focus on and punish the employers. If some go under oh well. Better than making us subsidize their cheap unregulated workforce!

berwyn senator

I thought there is a form employers were to have on file,from the time a person is hired, could it be an I-9?

berwyn senator