News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Deportation protest marchers coming to Cicero, Berwyn April 7

Started by justme, March 31, 2014, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 12:46:19 PM
The fix is the political will to focus on and punish the employers. If some go under oh well. Better than making us subsidize their cheap unregulated workforce!

"Some"?

Perhaps as an exercise, you can avoid doing business with anybody who hires workers who are here illegally. You won't be eating out much. Clothes shopping will become interesting. So will hotel shopping. Which buildings around you were constructed with the help of cheap labor? Would you feel comfortable entering them? Will you have to leave your own home?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Good Time Charlie

You're saying that would be difficult and you're right, because the government ignored immigration laws for the last 30 years or so. But still doesn't make it right or give an excuse to ignore the situation. I'm confused why a liberal would ever support exploitation of workers just because we have been doing it for a long time. You got to say enough's enough sooner or later.

markberwyn

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 05:24:25 PM
You're saying that would be difficult and you're right, because the government ignored immigration laws for the last 30 years or so. But still doesn't make it right or give an excuse to ignore the situation. I'm confused why a liberal would ever support exploitation of workers just because we have been doing it for a long time. You got to say enough's enough sooner or later.

I don't support the exploitation of workers. I just don't support a round-'em-up-and-ship-'em-out approach, because it's expensive on a lot of levels and practically unworkable. What would a better approach be? I'm not certain. That's why I said it was complicated.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

mustang54

A good start would be deport those who commit crimes at once! Not hard its real frickin easy they are already in custody,DUH. Letting over 68,000 criminals loose who were supposed to be deported is just plain fricking stupid and dangerous to OUR society. Whoever made that call should be ousted at once and I don't give a damn who they are, or what party they are from.

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 05:34:25 PM

I don't support the exploitation of workers. I just don't support a round-'em-up-and-ship-'em-out approach, because it's expensive on a lot of levels and practically unworkable. What would a better approach be? I'm not certain. That's why I said it was complicated.

Make employers use e-verify and fine them and take their business licenses away. That will dry up the demand and the illegals will self deport. I thought I was clear on that. I guess not.

markberwyn

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 06:09:45 PM

Make employers use e-verify and fine them and take their business licenses away. That will dry up the demand and the illegals will self deport. I thought I was clear on that. I guess not.

What about the path to citizenship? Are we interested in finding ways for people to live in the country legally, or are we just looking for ways to make people leave?

mustang54

There has ALWAYS been a path to citizenship Mark but when you let millions ignore it and do nothing about it, it creates the huge problems we now have. Nobody mentions what would happen to us if we entered a country illegally. We would be thrown in jail or in some cases probably lose our head. Sorry illegal is just that illegal.

berwyn senator

I wonder have all these illegals come up to our living standards,improving themselves or has this country lowered its standards to appease the illegals.I am aware when my grandparents came here legally,the first thing they wanted to do was learn the language so they could get a job.When they bought their house they were so proud,making sure all was kept clean.They took nothing for nothing!!!!!!

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2014, 07:30:13 PM
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 03, 2014, 06:09:45 PM

What about the path to citizenship? Are we interested in finding ways for people to live in the country legally, or are we just looking for ways to make people leave?

I'd listen but would be worried that doing that would have the same result that Reagan's amnesty law did in the 1980s, a lot more illegal immigration! Unless you really crack down on employers the same incentives for employers to hire illegals would be there, so you'd just get more beyond the current group if you legalized them. Probably a lot more because we'd be sending the message that we'll eventually give amnesty if you can hang on long enough. Wouldn't you be concerned with that?

Most countries have quotas based on what they need in their labor force. I don't know why America for some reason is expected not to. I'm all for giving visas if there's a shortage, like we talked about earlier.

mustang54

Replacing the illegal workers should be made easy by a government agency I believe is called the department of unemployment security? I'm sure they have PLENTY of people without jobs. If they feel they are above the job quit sending them checks and link cards. The system will work fine if the politicians run things the way they were designed DECADES AGO. Don't need all these new laws and systems they just need to enforce what we have, its really simple. The politicians know it they just like to have their political toys and excuses at election time.

berwyn senator

I think the majority of the American public feel the same,illegal is illegal! But Washington is just making a fool of U.S. citizens.They do what is good for themselves and big business,nothing else.Until we control Washington nothing will change!! Of the people,by the people,for the people. I think I am correct? Term limits a good start.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Believe it or not, I have to agree.  I don't think most people realize the extent to which we rely on an illegal workforce.  As for the "they're taking jobs away from people who are either citizens or in this country legally" contingent, I will tell you most of those people will not take those jobs.  Also, what about the kids?  I know one who was brought into this country when he was under a year old, has gone to school here since kindergarten, works like a dog and even though he is as American as most of us on this forum, still cannot get a drivers license and has to worry about being deported to a country he has barely visited since birth. 

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: mustang54 on April 03, 2014, 05:45:13 PM
  A good start would be deport those who commit crimes at once! Not hard its real frickin easy they are already in custody,DUH. Letting over 68,000 criminals loose who were supposed to be deported is just plain fricking stupid and dangerous to OUR society. Whoever made that call should be ousted at once and I don't give a damn who they are, or what party they are from.
I have to agree with you somewhat on this.  If they ARE convicted, yes they should be deported.  Do not pass go, go directly back to your home country and don't ever try to come back.  I actually think lawyers benefit from this the most and just remember, my daughter will be a lawyer in a few years.  I'm sure she would debate me on this issue.

berwyn senator

If Washington did not want the illegals here they would not be here!!!

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Good Time Charlie

If you give amnesty to the kids then amnesty to the parents will be next because you'll start hearing a lot of stories and seeing a lot of protests about how wrong it is to separate U.S. citizens from their families. Something the DREAMERs aren't being up front about. If they're in an unfortunate situation it's because of the parents who chose to break the law!

buzz

Quote from: buzz on April 04, 2014, 04:01:24 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on April 03, 2014, 10:37:07 PM
  Also, what about the kids?
The anchor babies are an even bigger problem.
Quote from: Good Time Charlie on April 04, 2014, 06:30:46 PM
If you give amnesty to the kids
It's not amnesty.  If a child is born on US soil it's a US citizen which is the reason so many pregnant women make "their journey".

moose

On the way home from work lastnight I drove past the church, it was around 5:30, I forgot that the march was yesterday until I saw all the news trucks parked outside. I didn't see any people so either they were all inside eating, or the turnout may have been have been low. It was not raining, sorry Berwyn Senator.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

buzz

Quote from: moose on April 08, 2014, 07:19:33 AM
I didn't see any people so either they were all inside eating, or the turnout may have been have been low.
Ch.9 had very light coverage.  Turnout did look low.