News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Dish TV

Started by Suzy Q, February 21, 2010, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzy Q

I can't believe that our service went out because of the snow!  I was told that I would have to wait till the snow passes.  Is this a common occurrence with DISH.  We are new subscribers and I find this to be a bummer.  Anyone else having the same problem?

Bonster

That sux.  The time you need it most (stuck inside), it doesn't work.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Crunchie

Quote from: Suzy Q on February 21, 2010, 10:43:23 PM
I can't believe that our service went out because of the snow!  I was told that I would have to wait till the snow passes.  Is this a common occurrence with DISH.  We are new subscribers and I find this to be a bummer.  Anyone else having the same problem?
Is it just you, or all Dish subscribers in the area? How long has it been out?

Suzy Q

I was told by DISH that other people in our area had the same problem.  It's now morning and it's still out.

Diona

Haven't had that kind of a problem with DirecTV. Had the TV on last night & this AM watching the news.

We've never really had a problem like that before due to the snow.  I remember a month or 2 back some of the channels would work while others didn't.  I called DirecTV to ask them what was up with that, they told me that it was due to the snow blocking the satellites ours bounces off of.  They also said once the snow passed it would be OK, about a 1/2 hour after I called, it was all good once again.

Hogzilla

Ours went out last night and was still out this morning. We just switched over to antenna. It doesn't effect radios either.  ;)
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

mustang54

I have Dish Network and have never had a problem when it snows.  Once in a while during heavy rain. All you might need is your dish turned a little bit to stop that problem. I was told that by a Comcast installer who has Dish Network at his house when he came to pick up my cable boxes a few years ago.

Noble Falcon

I have the Dish Network and only once in 5 years did I have a problem with my service. All I did was take a broom attached to a pole and brushed off the dish itself due to wet snow. The Dish net has great customer service too! :usa:

billyjean

Quote from: Suzy Q on February 21, 2010, 10:43:23 PM
I can't believe that our service went out because of the snow!  I was told that I would have to wait till the snow passes.  Is this a common occurrence with DISH.  We are new subscribers and I find this to be a bummer.  Anyone else having the same problem?

Suzy Q, the Dish picks up the signal from the Southern Sky.  This storm came in from the South.  When the signal is blocked from the southern exposure, you may lose the signal for a time.  It rarely lasts long.  I had Dish, but not anymore.  I had Comcast for years then switched to Dish.  I had many more problems with Comcast than I had with Dish.  It was always "the box must have water in it routine".  Comcast may be different now, idk.  All in all, however, imo, Dish was better than Comcast, and the few times the signal was blocked by a bad storm were few and far between, and didn't last long.

Like said above by Falcon, the Dish may have been covered with this wet snow.  A dry snow blows off.  So even tho we didn't get a lot of snow, it was wet and just sits there.

So I wouldn't worry about it, or feel disappointed that you went with Dish.

dukesdad

If your dish is easily accessible, wash it off before winter arrives and spray it with Pam, both the dish and the LNB. The snow slides right off. Not much help if the dish is 40' up in the air someplace.

Bonster

Quote from: billyjean on February 22, 2010, 01:06:58 PM
I had many more problems with Comcast than I had with Dish.  ...  Comcast may be different now, idk.

Must be.  I had cable internet (various companies) for decades and other than for something related to Force Majeure, I cannot recall any appreciable outages.  Can't say the same for cable internet.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Suzy Q

Thanks for the suggestions!  We got rid of Comcast when we spent a year long worth of problems with the internet connection.  We got tired of them and canceled everything.  The DISH thing is new to us and was disappointed that we lost service for such a long time.  But I definitely will get the PAM out and a broom!

dualref

A lot of times failures during storm can be caused by bad dish aiming. When we had Dish if any of our dogs took a leak in the yard we'd loose signal. I remember when he installed the dish he just  pointed the dish southwestward and said "Good enough for a government job."
Later we switched to DirecTV and when they installed the dish they used a signal strength meter to obtain the strongest signal. Now our tv stays on in all but the strongest storms.

I would use WD40 on the dish instead of PAM to let snow slide off. Good idea though.