News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Local Control Took a Beating as Lisa Hernandez changed her mind on HB4237

Started by Big AL77, April 10, 2014, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynista

Quote from: mustang54 on April 17, 2014, 11:28:50 PM
  Actually Mrs. N you are wrong. Cicero hasn't been a republican town for years. The CVA has endorsed more democrats than republicans in County and State elections. Cicero tends to support those who support Cicero.
So if Carol Marin ever turns into a county or state politician I don't think she would get any support here.

So, I guess that party affiliation is more of a fluid concept in Cicerwyn?

Ted

Cicero used to be Republican until the 2004 election when a Democratic ghost candidate beat the Republican incumbent (Frank Aguilar) in the general election.  The pols in Cicero realized that all the new people moving into Cicero (and Berwyn) were going to vote for a Democrat in the general election, no matter who the name was.  That was when Cicero went from a party-based election to a non-partisan election.

Sort of the opposite happened in Berwyn.  Democrats controlled the local government but at state and national levels Berwyn voters tended to vote Republican.

Then came the influx of new residents who (like the counterparts in Cicero) voted Democrat in state and national elections - so the local Democratic party in Berwyn became more in tune with the national Democrats.

The 2004 election of the ghost candidate was interesting - Cicero had the majority of the legislative district and voted 55% for the incumbent Republican.  But, in Berwyn, the Democrat received 80% of the vote and was voted into office.

That election changed a lot of minds in these parts about the changing voting demographics of the new residents.

Ted

Quote from: mustang54 on April 17, 2014, 01:57:19 PM
... I also hear that the governor really likes and respects her....

Lisa Hernandez used to work for Quinn.

berwynista

Ted, I completely forgot about Aguilar! Not larger than life like Betty and LarDom :D! Has there been any discussion to go the non-partisan route in Berwyn?

Ted

Quote from: berwynista on April 18, 2014, 01:59:40 PM
Ted, I completely forgot about Aguilar! Not larger than life like Betty and LarDom :D! Has there been any discussion to go the non-partisan route in Berwyn?

The IVB tried to get non-partisan municipal elections on the ballot in 2008/2009 via the city council but that effort failed.

Even with partisan elections, a person can still run for local office in the general election as a non-affiliated candidate. 

berwynista

Ted, the city council voted against having non-partisan elections? I wonder what the average duck thinks about this idea?

Wasn't it under Daley the younger that the Chicago mayoral election changed to a non-partisan election?

Ted

Quote from: berwynista on April 20, 2014, 01:54:19 AM
Ted, the city council voted against having non-partisan elections? I wonder what the average duck thinks about this idea?

Wasn't it under Daley the younger that the Chicago mayoral election changed to a non-partisan election?

The city council voted against putting a referendum on the ballot.  The 3 Democrats on the city council (Chapman, Lovero and Skryd) were opposed to it and two of the IVB aldermen voted against it as well.