News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Depot District?

Started by berwyn senator, April 23, 2014, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Years ago the district was a boom,there were many businesses that drew people not only from the area,but surrounding burbs.Since all are now closed,nothing even close has been able to replace them.One would think with the train,the Hospital all would be good, not so,hell even a funeral home tanked!

dukesdad

Senator, the funeral home tanked because you old guys aren't doing your part.

berwyn senator

Hell! "In heaven there is no beer"

dukesdad

You are definitely an optimist.

berwyn senator

The bar we used to go to in the Depot District was where Salerno's used to be on Grove,I think it was called The Roxy? I my be wrong.

pkd50

He's right the area was a destination.  Just about everything I needed was there.  The Roxy was owned by the Mickenbeckers.

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwyn senator

Yes, those days are gone,the area still exists along with the old buildings just waiting for a new life.Traveling west along the tracks many business areas still flourish,so there is hope for the Depot District.What is interesting,years ago there was no TIF money or any assistance from the town.People invested their own money in the business and worked hard to make the business successful.Today people are given loans,money,and assistance and the business fails,the business districts remain a mess.Vacancies, blight and when a store front business is opened it looks like a five year old painted the windows.I'll give everyone Roosevelt Rd. but how much money was spent to bring it back?years ago people did this by themselves!! They had pride,which would not let them take a dime,working for what they had meant everything.

pkd50

Those days are long gone, but it was nice while it lasted. 

buzz

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 24, 2014, 10:01:32 AM
What is interesting,years ago there was no TIF money or any assistance from the town.
All we've done for years is subsidize failure.  The reality is that there's no foot traffic, and those store fronts are too small and too over-priced.
The most promising idea yet (IMHO), the Senior Living Development that would have replaced OBrien's and the parking lot, never got off the ground. 
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

But... didn't the Depot District have the same access problems and foot traffic problem when it was a vibrant area?  Why was that not a problem years ago?

I was also wondering about the parking building that was built by the city.  Is that working out?  Is it bringing more people into the depot district?  Or is it a white elephant?

berwyn senator

Years ago people would walk to the depot District,plenty of foot traffic.Parking never seemed to be an issue if you drove,but there was parking in the residential areas,today many restrictions.The parking garage had initial issues with kids,I haven't heard of any recently.I would guess the garage does nothing to bring people to the Depot,people still circle looking for a parking spot.They like myself don't like to pay!!

pkd50

I walked, but I don't think there was resident only parking back then.  There was a lot of foot traffic, because there was a dept. store, beauty shop, a couple of dress shops, dime store, men's store, restaurant, bakery, and some others. They were on Windsor, and there were others on Stanley.  It was nothing at all like today.  It was nice and easy because everything was close together.   I did like shopping on Cermak though, but it involved driving.  I'm not sure but I think Cermak Plaza and eventually No Riverside Mall put an end to Uptown aka The Depot District

berwyn senator

There was a period during maybe the early seventies when a bank on Stanley,was buying up the property and not renewing leases of present businesses along Windsor, I don't remember their intent,maybe a larger bank? The project was scraped leaving many vacancies,the Depot District never recovered.

dukesdad

More likely a McNeal expansion which never materialized.

justme

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 25, 2014, 10:03:41 AM
Years ago people would walk to the depot District,plenty of foot traffic.Parking never seemed to be an issue if you drove,but there was parking in the residential areas,today many restrictions.The parking garage had initial issues with kids,I haven't heard of any recently.I would guess the garage does nothing to bring people to the Depot,people still circle looking for a parking spot.They like myself don't like to pay!!

They should make the commuters park in that garage, thus freeing up more parking for the businesses.

berwyn senator

Probable correct about the hospital,I just did not remember the particulars.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: dukesdad on April 26, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
More likely a McNeal expansion which never materialized.
How many more of those will we have to endure?  Right now the old South Berwyn Library that MacNeal owns at 34th and Oak Park has boarded up windows on the Oak Park side.  It's an absolute eyesore - like we are living in the ghetto.  If the city wants the Depot District to survive and thrive, this type of blight needs to be eliminated.  It's on a main thoroughfare that many people pass through on a regular basis.

berwyn senator

To answer the question why has the depot district failed?How much time has any one qualified in the area of rejuvenating a business district spent on the District? With all the promises at election times nothing has changed in the last 12 years.How much waisted money has been poured into the area? Clean up the blight,get the shit heads that create issues out of the area.Attract the type of businesses that attract people from outside the area that will come and spend money.Give me a reason to walk their in the evening for a drink,dinner,or just a coffee?I want to feel safe!

Sandy

Parking is a huge issue. La Grange doesn't charge for their parking garage. Oak Park gives you the first hour free.

BTW, the funeral home closed due to the fact that the owner, Frank Gariffo, died. His son took over, but passed away just a short time later.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy