News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Bungalow Door Locks

Started by berwynson, June 08, 2014, 09:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

I guess I began wondering about mechanical things as a kid, took apart the Bendix coaster brake on my first two-wheeler when I was seven. So, I investigated the mysteries of our bungalow's locks. Best example of a pic I could find below. The lockset was mounted in a slot in the center of the door. It was a flat squarish hunk about 4 X 4 X 3/4 inch thick, with holes on either side to allow insertion of a key. The keys all looked like the pic below, but not quite as exagerratedly large. Every door took a big, long, heavy key. No wonder my Mom was forever repairing holes in our pockets!

The doorknobs were fastened to a square steel rod by setscrews, the rod passing through the lockset in the door. Many of the doorknobs were made of glass, mostly clear, not colored. Occasionally, a doorknob loosened, and wiggled around, posing a repair job for the little snot who had to get into everything! In later years, I have wondered how my folks were able to cope with it!

Are these old type locks still in use in Berwyn's bungalows?    berwynson

caprice1483

Unfortunately, not in my 1926 bungalow.

berwynson

I think ours was built in 1923. The builder's name was Sloboda, if memory serves. I heard these facts from my folks as a kid, of course. Some memories are so old, .......but, that's how it goes!   berwynson

Nancy K.

"Scale"  was the name of the builder of the bungalows on Maple Avenue in the early 1930s.

berwynson

Quote from: Nancy K. on June 26, 2014, 12:32:29 AM
"Scale"  was the name of the builder of the bungalows on Maple Avenue in the early 1930s.

Apparently, being as you and I are likely the most-senior members here, few others delve back as far as we do. I guess one cannot blame them. Why be interested in ancient history, when faced with the day-to-day issues present.    berwynson