News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Post Storm of 30 June 2014 Flooding

Started by frankvdv, July 01, 2014, 08:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankvdv

basement some water from rising out of drains....Anyone else?

marie

Guy_on_Clinton

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

frankvdv

More seepage. Marge, link to Berwyn  web?

bigolo

I guess no one floods in Berwyn anymore! That or this site is just dead! Weirdl!!!

Dav

how many of you had flooding on Aug.22/23?  I had major seepage, which my new Permaseal job took care of, but basement toilet backed up badly because all of the sewer lines were filled to capacity and wouldn't expel anymore water

Ted

I had water in my basement.  First time this year.  I usually don't get water in the basement because I have a pump and an overhead sewer.

I never had any water in my basement for the first 25 years I lived here.  Now, I have gotten water in the basement about once per year when there is a big rain, even with the pumps and overhead sewers.

After the rain, the sidewalks around my house looked like a lake.  It did rain a lot.  But, I think something else is different.

watcher

Who does Berwyn's engineering work? In house or outsourced/contracted?
I found it interesting that the same engineering firm that told Forest Park that the sewers were good, also does most of the MWRD project planning, engineering and oversight.

What could go wrong?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

~LL~

Quote from: watcher on August 23, 2014, 02:31:10 PM
I found it interesting that the same engineering firm that told Forest Park that the sewers were good, also does most of the MWRD project planning, engineering and oversight.

What could go wrong?

I had hoped to find the name of the engineering firm Berwyn uses by looking at the lists of payables which are included in Council meeting packets.  However, it seems the public can no longer access the full packet online -- as I know we used to be able to do.  Now- all that is offered is the agenda for the meeting (tho the website  claims "full  packet" next to the dates of the meetings).  Anyone??? 
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Ted

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 23, 2014, 08:16:39 PM
....However, it seems the public can no longer access the full packet online -- as I know we used to be able to do.  Now- all that is offered is the agenda for the meeting (tho the website  claims "full  packet" next to the dates of the meetings).  Anyone??? ...

LL, the full packet is still offered.  I just went out the the website just now and was able to see the full packet for next Tuesday's meeting.

Make sure you click on the right (under the words "FULL PACKET") rather than on the left.  If you click on the left, you get the agenda.  If you click on the right, you get the full packet for the agenda.

Ted

Quote from: watcher on August 23, 2014, 02:31:10 PM

What could go wrong?

I don't think this issue is specific to Berwyn... it is county wide and involves Cicero, Riverside and other suburbs near the MWRD site, I think.

I know Cicero tried to sue MWRD but I believe that law suit was not allowed (if my memory is correct).

I think the volume of water is just much greater than it used to be and the outlets for the water can no longer handle the load in big storms.

Whatever happened to the Big Tunnel project?  btw, has anyone ever looked at the MWRD debt situation? 

Sandy

What (if anything) can be done about the trend of residents replacing their grass with concrete or other non - permeable surfaces? This must contribute at least a little to the flooding as well.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

~LL~

Quote from: Ted on August 24, 2014, 06:13:29 AM
Quote from: ~LL~ on August 23, 2014, 08:16:39 PM
....However, it seems the public can no longer access the full packet online -- as I know we used to be able to do.  Now- all that is offered is the agenda for the meeting (tho the website  claims "full  packet" next to the dates of the meetings).  Anyone??? ...

LL, the full packet is still offered.  I just went out the the website just now and was able to see the full packet for next Tuesday's meeting.

Make sure you click on the right (under the words "FULL PACKET") rather than on the left.  If you click on the left, you get the agenda.  If you click on the right, you get the full packet for the agenda.

Ted:  Oh!  Duh!  Thank you so much

Gaetane

Quote from: Sandy on August 24, 2014, 08:25:41 AM
What (if anything) can be done about the trend of residents replacing their grass with concrete or other non - permeable surfaces? This must contribute at least a little to the flooding as well.

Agreed!  I bought my house in December, and discovered that the previous owner poured a patio pad in back sloped towards the house.  No permit pulled of course, these folks have been full of surprises since I have moved in, they are lucky they moved to Canada.  Needless to say, we are planning to jackhammer it out and put in a deck. 

~LL~

Sorry - sort of off-topic, but why is applying for and obtaining a permit for construction, renovation, plumbing, elect. etc called "pulling a permit"?  Just curious if anyone knows the origin or reason why that term is used.  thanks.

frankvdv

Town Hall Meeting

Topic; Neighborhood Flooding

menace2society

let's all go hear them say nothing to help us....