Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Basement glass block windows

Started by jfrickind, August 02, 2011, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

Quote from: littlealexa on August 04, 2011, 09:46:56 AM
I remember a building inspector recommended that we replace our basement windows with glass block (personally I don't like them) for security reasons; said it would be harder or a thief to break into the basement windows if they were glass block.  I unfortunately did replace the original basement windows with double hung ones, but passed on the glass block.

To the original poster: If you ever decide to finish your basement you will need at least 1 egress window in case of fire according to the inspector.  So if you replace all with glass block and then decide to pull a permit to finish up your basement, keep in mind that you will have to at least replace 1 of your windows for egress.

The inspector who made that recommendation was wrong. The only "security" glass block offers over conventional windows is obscured view. The advent of cordless power tools put B&E into the "no-brainer" category.

Like the claims that solid six foot fences offer security while ignoring the blind it provides to thieves inside the fence...

Locks/Security only keep honest people honest.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Toria

What about a glass block window to be installed in a bathroom with a fan vent for a bathroom on the main floor that does not have any fan?