Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Joe Keating resignation from D201 board

Started by Ted, July 28, 2014, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on August 01, 2014, 08:24:20 AM
Quote from: Ted on August 01, 2014, 03:46:42 AM

Rick, I respectfully disagree.   First, as Brian pointed out, Berwyn CARES is an advocacy organization. It is not getting any government funding for their advocacy.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you think Keating would have been able to get an HR position with any other school district outside of the Berwyn/Cicero area?

2. Do you think Margaret Kelly should resign from the school board and be hired as Curriculum Director? She does have a doctoral degree in education.
Ted money is money so what if they don't get government money. They raise money to help out local schools,teachers,and students! You can't see that!!! Choices are made where and who gets the money they raise. I cannot believe you can't see that. Oh I forgot it's Berwyn.
To answer your questions.
1. I say no he has no track record with any other district.
2. No Kelly should not have. She also should stop getting a frickin free pass for getting jobs for her kids that they were not qualified for. You know it, everyone has known it for years but not only doesn't anyone question it they re elect her!! Oh wait I forgot she's from Berwyn. Some of you folks have to get rid of the double standard you set for people and organizations from Berwyn.
   Ted I still think he will be very good. If not I'll admit I was wrong and maybe they can hire someone from a church group in Barrington.

What is the conflict?  Raising money in and of itself doesn't create a conflict.  How is his role with CARES influencing the decisions on the board?  CARES advocated for improved education.  Please make this clear to me.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Brian as I said earlier yes they raise money. They also decide where that money they raise goes don't they? My point was some could see that as a conflict of interest. And yes CARES advocated for improved education I was at a few of the early meetings when the group was first formed. They have raised and awarded money through the years for all three school districts in Berwyn. But now they have a board member from a school district serving on their board and it leaves an opening for people to now question their choices of who is awarded money over the other two.

chandasz

Quote from: mustang54 on August 18, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
  Brian as I said earlier yes they raise money. They also decide where that money they raise goes don't they? My point was some could see that as a conflict of interest. And yes CARES advocated for improved education I was at a few of the early meetings when the group was first formed. They have raised and awarded money through the years for all three school districts in Berwyn. But now they have a board member from a school district serving on their board and it leaves an opening for people to now question their choices of who is awarded money over the other two.

Shouldn't we wait to see if that happens before you bury them? Talk about jumping to conclusions....

mustang54

Quote from: chandasz on August 18, 2014, 12:57:36 PM

Shouldn't we wait to see if that happens before you bury them? Talk about jumping to conclusions....
I'm not burying anyone read my posts. I brought up a scenario that could happen. Others jumped to conclusions about the Keating hiring but I guess thats ok with many here because thats district 201. What I'm really saying is there is a double standard for some when it comes to 201 and 100,as usual.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on August 18, 2014, 04:13:28 PM

I'm not burying anyone read my posts. I brought up a scenario that could happen. Others jumped to conclusions about the Keating hiring but I guess thats ok with many here because thats district 201. What I'm really saying is there is a double standard for some when it comes to 201 and 100,as usual.

Who on D100 has gone directly from the school board (non-paying position) to a paid position in the district?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: mustang54 on August 18, 2014, 04:13:28 PM

I'm not afraid to bring up things I consider to be BS when it comes to District 100.  As a matter of fact I'm still wondering why the Principal of Heritage Middle School, Laura LaSalle, was fired.  I guess that's all confidential which to me is just code (you will have to sue us to find out).   However, District 201 has really gone above and beyond with its hiring of Joe Keating as HR Director leaving a vacancy on the District 201 school board when it comes to total disregard for even the slightest hint of impropriety.  It appears the board elected by both the citizens of Cicero and Berwyn do as they please, however they please, regardless of the law or morality of their own personal values, if they have any.  It's a sad state of affairs.

mustang54

Mrs. N. you are one of the few who questions district 100. You seem to feel as I do that right is right and wrong is wrong no matter who it's done by. As for your comment of 201 breaking the law I think your wrong. What law have they ever broken? I would think if 201 broke a law they would have been charged. After all our area is always under the microscope. You are also wrong with the hiring leaving an open position on the board. I heard that open spot was filled last week. BTW I was told it was filled by a Berwyn resident.
  Now as for your comment about morality that is a really gray area. It's like some people see a glass half full while others see it half empty. For me Joe Keating has as much right to apply for a paid postion as anyone else. Lets wait and see how it plays out. I think he will do very well as I stated earlier. Time will tell.
Like I also said earlier if he doesn't they can look for another candidate at a church in Barrington.

Ted

Quote from: mustang54 on August 20, 2014, 10:05:08 AM
  ...  I heard that open spot was filled last week. BTW I was told it was filled by a Berwyn resident....

I heard the board position was filled by Vince LaPaglia.

Roger

The new Board member should add some excitement to the Board to say the least.  He is full of energy and always going full speed with the best interests of the students in mind. As a teacher he was very hard working and dedicated and he supported all of the districts extra curricular activities. I was surprised to learn that he was taking Keating's place.  Very pleasantly surprised.  I wish him all the best.

Ted

In addition to being a former teacher in D201, Vince was a board member of Berwyn CARES for several years.

Vince also ran for alderman in Berwyn's 3rd ward in 2009.

Dav

I wish him the best! hope he can help cure the many ills of our school district

berwyn senator