News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Joe Keating resignation from D201 board

Started by Ted, July 28, 2014, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Joseph Keating has resigned from the District 201 school board. 

I have been told he will become the Human Resources Director in District 201.

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 28, 2014, 02:44:35 PM
Is he still a states attorney?

I don't know.

I didn't realize he had the background to be an HR Director. I thought his career had been in the law and working as a lawyer and law professor.

chandasz

I understand that Morton got a grant-- that was supposed to go towards improving education (I don't have these details). I also understand that for some reason Morton EAST is getting all the money. So now the Assistant Principal from Heritage and Joe Keating are both getting jobs at East.

Not sure how he qualifies for an HR job.

Are there any bylaws about the ethics of hiring a board member. Whatever happened to the "semblance of impropriety"?

Now, to top it off- the new board member does not have to be elected- simply appointed.....

Can somebody explain Morton East to me? Who does it serve?

Ted

Quote from: chandasz on July 29, 2014, 10:24:02 AM
I understand that Morton got a grant-- that was supposed to go towards improving education (I don't have these details). I also understand that for some reason Morton EAST is getting all the money. So now the Assistant Principal from Heritage and Joe Keating are both getting jobs at East.

Not sure how he qualifies for an HR job.

Are there any bylaws about the ethics of hiring a board member. Whatever happened to the "semblance of impropriety"?

Now, to top it off- the new board member does not have to be elected- simply appointed.....

Can somebody explain Morton East to me? Who does it serve?

If Joe Keating is HR Director, I don't think he would be working only at Morton East.  I would think he would be serving the entire district.

Morton East is the high school in District 201 that gets most of its students from Cicero for the sophomore, junior and senior years.  Cicero freshmen go to the Freshman Center.  Morton West is the high school that serves and gets its students from Berwyn,Lyons, Stickney, Forest View and McCook.

Any one appointed by the board will still be up for election (if they chose to run) in April of 2015.  The open seat becomes up for election in the next school board election as a 2 year seat (since Keating's term would have ended in 2017.)

mustang54

Quote from: chandasz on July 29, 2014, 10:24:02 AM
I understand that Morton got a grant-- that was supposed to go towards improving education (I don't have these details).
I remember a few meetings years ago where East got grant money because of the large number of low income students. I think it was for money for summer school. I also remember Dr. Nowakowski saying that because of the growing number of low income students at West part of the money would be used there too. Ted can correct me if I'm wrong but I think some of the grants they recieve are applied for because the town meets the criteria for the money. Some grants are given out to towns or cities for their school districts. I was told many years ago that is why towns have two park districts. One is large and available for certain grants and the other district qualifies for different grants because of their smaller size.

Roger

Ted:  Finally a post that is 100% accurate.  Congrats!!

Ted

Does anyone else besides me think this situation is unethical or a conflict of interest?

Keating was a board member for 14 years.  He has no background as a Human Resources director.  His background is as a lawyer.

Yet, he is now hired as the D201 HR Director.

It reminds me of in 2007 when Margaret Kelly tried to get a job in D201 as its Curriculum Director.

I don't think people who are on a school board should take advantage of that position to get an executive position for the school district they are overseeing.

That's just plain wrong.

chandasz

Believe it or not-- I agree with Ted. I think this may be a first :)

I cannot believe there is nothing in the ethics statements that prevents a board member from receiving a job from the place he served.

So-- question is- how do we make a stink?

One more nail in the coffin for trust in D201

mustang54

Quote from: chandasz on July 30, 2014, 01:56:31 PM

I cannot believe there is nothing in the ethics statements that prevents a board member from receiving a job from the place he served.

And someone serving on a school board and Dacee and an officer of CARES is not a conflict of interest but hiring a former board member for a position is? With all due respect I think you are pounding nails in the wrong coffin.

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on July 30, 2014, 05:03:52 AM

Does anyone else besides me think this situation is unethical or a conflict of interest?

Keating was a board member for 14 years.  He has no background as a Human Resources director.  His background is as a lawyer.

It reminds me of in 2007 when Margaret Kelly tried to get a job in D201 as its Curriculum Director.

I don't think people who are on a school board should take advantage of that position to get an executive position for the school district they are overseeing.

That's just plain wrong.
Ted after thinking about your post I respectfully have to disagree with you. And I will give you my reasons.
1. Ted I don't like hiring of outsiders. That has proved to be a disaster as we witnessed for years. I like hiring from within. Outsiders never gave a damn about our area. In fact we witnessed a superintendent turn 201 into a financial disaster just as he did to another district before he came to Morton.
2. I think Keating is very qualified to be director of H.R. He was on the board for 14 years and knows the district inside and out. He is already familiar with many of the employees, and has been in on contract negotiations.
3. I think the fact he is a lawyer is a huge benefit. He always asked questions of the school attorneys to make sure the district was protected legally before they made choices.
4. A few times I saw disagreements between board members some of which got a little heated and he jumped in the middle as the voice of reason to get things settled. I think he is very professional in the way he deals with people.
5. I had dealings with a director of H.R at 201 a few years back and he was worthless. He told me and I quote: "with what we pay here we have a hard time getting good people." My response was"BULLSHIT". He left a short time later with a six figure pension that was padded the last two years with huge raises for him and the other incompetent fools who called themselves educators. They ran that district financially and academically into the ground.
   Hey Ted I could be wrong but I say give him a chance and see how he does, I think he will be really good.

chandasz

Mustang-- CARES and DACEE and Board are voluntary positions with no pay. There's a huge difference between that and a paid position.

He may be an "insider" (which IMO- is part of the problem) BUT he has no experience with HR. This is typical cronyism.

I can be a citizen and vote and read a lot of papers but that certainly doesn't give me credentials for being president.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on July 30, 2014, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: chandasz on July 30, 2014, 01:56:31 PM

And someone serving on a school board and Dacee and an officer of CARES is not a conflict of interest but hiring a former board member for a position is? With all due respect I think you are pounding nails in the wrong coffin.

What is the conflict there?  DACEE is an advisory/research committee.  CARES is an advocacy group for education. None of which entails compensation.

Keating may be qualified.  I know attorney's who don't practice and are HR directors. 

It does stink to high heaven though...not sure how another candidate would get a fair shake (in another district, possibly...in Cicero?  LOL).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: mustang54 on July 30, 2014, 05:54:47 PM
Quote from: Ted on July 30, 2014, 05:03:52 AM

That's just plain wrong.
Ted after thinking about your post I respectfully have to disagree with you. And I will give you my reasons.
1. Ted I don't like hiring of outsiders. That has proved to be a disaster as we witnessed for years. I like hiring from within. Outsiders never gave a damn about our area. In fact we witnessed a superintendent turn 201 into a financial disaster just as he did to another district before he came to Morton.
2. I think Keating is very qualified to be director of H.R. He was on the board for 14 years and knows the district inside and out. He is already familiar with many of the employees, and has been in on contract negotiations.
3. I think the fact he is a lawyer is a huge benefit. He always asked questions of the school attorneys to make sure the district was protected legally before they made choices.
4. A few times I saw disagreements between board members some of which got a little heated and he jumped in the middle as the voice of reason to get things settled. I think he is very professional in the way he deals with people.
5. I had dealings with a director of H.R at 201 a few years back and he was worthless. He told me and I quote: "with what we pay here we have a hard time getting good people." My response was"BULLSHIT". He left a short time later with a six figure pension that was padded the last two years with huge raises for him and the other incompetent fools who called themselves educators. They ran that district financially and academically into the ground.
   Hey Ted I could be wrong but I say give him a chance and see how he does, I think he will be really good.
mustang, I know you think you are on the right side of things in terms of District 201 and in most instances you are.  But, this is an exception.  There needs to be an expectation of right in District 201.  This obviously, does not meet that criteria whether or not Keating would be the best HR director in any school district in the United States of America.  This district needs to do better - way better.  Why didn't the district put this position out to candidates to apply for?  Isn't that the general rule of thumb for these type of jobs?  I find this troubling.

mustang54

Mrs N you bring up a good point as usual. But it actually leads to another question. I took it for granted the job was posted on the web site for applicants. Does anyone here know if it was or not? If it wasn't opened to others that is not a wise move. If it was and others were looked at and he was chosen then like it or not it's their choice.
  OPS as to your comment "CARES is an advocacy group for education." Yes they are but they also raise money to give to schools,teachers,and students from 3 different Berwyn school districts. THAT IS a conflict of interest then as some would see it. As for me personally I don't have a problem with it because I know Bob. Someone who doesn't and sees this might.
  As to your other comment Mrs. N about "This district needs to do better - way better." I would agree. But I also remember the state it was in a few years ago and I think they have done pretty darn well from what it was financially. But not many on this forum will EVER come out and compliment them for anything. The majority of the topics here concerning them has always been to rip them. Sometimes it is justified but quite a few are not. All the while 100 and it's regime are seen as a district that can do no wrong. Apparently I know more crap about 100 than many Berwyn residents. You have 3 school districts if I'm correct only one does not have a balanced budget, Am I correct? 100 is becoming what 201 was. And it doesn't surprise me or many others either. They just don't post here.
  Anyway the good thing is these topics always bring back some good people to the forum and it makes for good debate. Ted we have to meet at a board meeting like old times!! LOL!!

Ted

Rick, I respectfully disagree.   First, as Brian pointed out, Berwyn CARES is an advocacy organization. It is not getting any government funding for their advocacy.

Second, as Mrs. N pointed out, Joe Keating may be the greatest HR Director in the world, but it strikes me as ethically wrong for someone on a school board to resign their elected position on the school board to take an executive position with the school district they were a board member for.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you think Keating would have been able to get an HR position with any other school district outside of the Berwyn/Cicero area?

2. Do you think Margaret Kelly should resign from the school board and be hired as Curriculum Director? She does have a doctoral degree in education.

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on August 01, 2014, 03:46:42 AM

Rick, I respectfully disagree.   First, as Brian pointed out, Berwyn CARES is an advocacy organization. It is not getting any government funding for their advocacy.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you think Keating would have been able to get an HR position with any other school district outside of the Berwyn/Cicero area?

2. Do you think Margaret Kelly should resign from the school board and be hired as Curriculum Director? She does have a doctoral degree in education.
Ted money is money so what if they don't get government money. They raise money to help out local schools,teachers,and students! You can't see that!!! Choices are made where and who gets the money they raise. I cannot believe you can't see that. Oh I forgot it's Berwyn.
To answer your questions.
1. I say no he has no track record with any other district.
2. No Kelly should not have. She also should stop getting a frickin free pass for getting jobs for her kids that they were not qualified for. You know it, everyone has known it for years but not only doesn't anyone question it they re elect her!! Oh wait I forgot she's from Berwyn. Some of you folks have to get rid of the double standard you set for people and organizations from Berwyn.
   Ted I still think he will be very good. If not I'll admit I was wrong and maybe they can hire someone from a church group in Barrington.

watcher

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on July 31, 2014, 08:46:30 PM
mustang, I know you think you are on the right side of things in terms of District 201 and in most instances you are.  But, this is an exception.  There needs to be an expectation of right in District 201.  This obviously, does not meet that criteria whether or not Keating would be the best HR director in any school district in the United States of America.  This district needs to do better - way better.  Why didn't the district put this position out to candidates to apply for?  Isn't that the general rule of thumb for these type of jobs?  I find this troubling.

Troubling, but explainable. Someone trained/experienced in HR would want to use their training and experience in ways that could be awkward to how D201 runs their operations. Keating knows the ways and means. He's far less likely to urge changes in how things are run.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

mustang54

Watcher you make a really good point. That leads me to this question how much say so does an H.R director have in hiring. I would think they would have more say so in a private sector company that in a school district especially a high school.  I would think department heads,the principal, and the superintendent would lead the process and make the choices. Then whoever they choose would have to be passed by the school board. I really think an H.R director for a school district has a lot less say so in hirings than the same position in the private sector. In todays age of privacy laws I think an H.R directors position has changed to more of a legal protection job. Plus you add in background checks on applicants it just makes sense to me.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: mustang54 on July 31, 2014, 10:14:36 PM

OPS as to your comment "CARES is an advocacy group for education." Yes they are but they also raise money to give to schools,teachers,and students from 3 different Berwyn school districts. THAT IS a conflict of interest then as some would see it. As for me personally I don't have a problem with it because I know Bob. Someone who doesn't and sees this might.

What is the conflict?  The only people who benefit from the fundraising are the kids.  How would previously serving on a school board committee take precedence over serving on the school board?

"Conflict of Interest" is often thrown around here, yet seldom used correctly.