News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Viet Nam Wall Memorial

Started by Noble Falcon, August 09, 2014, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noble Falcon

Kudos to all involved very nice! Open 24hours until 8.11.14. My Wife and I really appreciated it. My Godson who is in the ROTC at NIU is going tonight with some of his buddies. Nice Job!  :usa:

Ted

Yesterday, BUNGALO laid a wreath at the wall in honor of gay and lesbian soldiers who served in Vietnam.  Tim Theis, a gay Berwyn resident who served in the Airforce in southeast Asia during the Vietnam war in 1968 and 1969, was the person who laid the wreath.

Tim still had the old Airforce outfit  he wore when he served in southeast Asia.  Even though he is 64 years old, the shirt still fit (almost) !!!!

I doubt there are many 64 year old men who could say a shirt they wore when they were 19 years old still fit.

Ted

I was surprised that there wasn't a parking problem. We went at around 7 PM and were able to park on Home avenue without any problems.  I was afraid I was going to have to drop people off and then drive a long way away to get parking but that was not the case.

Noble Falcon

I am shocked that Ted and I were the only people to respond to such a great event!  :usa:

~LL~

Quote from: Noble Falcon on August 11, 2014, 06:05:56 PM
I am shocked that Ted and I were the only people to respond to such a great event!  :usa:

I attended at different times Friday and Saturday and I must say I'm still processing the experience.  Truly awesome as well as humbling.  I lost it Friday night during a demonstration entitled, "The last patrol" -- as it began with the playing of many popular songs of the time -- protest or otherwise.  Also during this particular demonstration they honored the Hero Dogs -- so, of course, the tears began again.  The volunteers were outstanding and so well informed.  The vets in attendance shared their experiences and offered us a lot of information I sincerely did not know before.  Berwyn should indeed be proud for the amazing job of making sure this important tribute was protected and that visitors were able to access it easily -- including parking.  The candelite ceremony Saturday night was so beautiful - and so very well organized.  My personal thanks to all who worked to bring the memorial to Berwyn.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Mr. Daniel Lumis

We were there Friday night around 11:30. It was very nicely done, and a powerful experience.

~LL~

Drove around Proksa park area last night and wished the memorial was still there - but I do feel that the "spirit" of the event was left behind by Berwyn residents and those who traveled to experience it.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.