Pranks At Morton East

Started by berwyn senator, December 22, 2011, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dualref

I am not sure if they did or not. They carried just about anything you would need for an office. I knew they had service techs that would come out and fix a typewrite if you had a need. But all we did was clean them. Usually early IBM Selectrics but also a few ancient Remingtons too.

berwynson

I am even more ancient than that! Selectrics had not yet been designed, I think, and we bought a small Royal Portable, which came hooked into a hard case. It could be unhooked and used on a tabletop, or in the case. I think brand new it was like $40!   berwynson

dualref

When I was at Morton the only people who had IBM Selectrics were the people in the main office.
In the girl's typing class that all had Remington Electrics and in the "Personal Typing Class" another kind of manual typewriter. This was the class the boys took if they wanted to take typing.

My mother forced me to take that class because she said she isn't going to waster her time typing up my reports, and she isn't going to pay $1.00 per page to have someone else do it for me. So
I learned to type.

With the dawning of the age of computers this class was probably one of the few things I ever learned at Morton that I consider valuable. When computers came out a lot of people had trouble learning how to type on them.

dualref

I did some research. Eddie Novak's #2 Union 76 was at 30th & Harlem. His original station was at Central & Roosevelt Rd. He also had stations at 16th & Central, 57th and 58th on Cermak. I don't know if he owned them all at the same time though.
He sold the one on Harlem in 1969, but the new owners kept the name. So since the bad experience I had there in 1973 was the new owners rather than the original. After he sold the station Edwin "Eddie" Novak retired to Florida and passed away in 1993.