News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Bungalow Light Switches

Started by berwynson, June 08, 2014, 08:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

As a kid, growing up in the bungalow on 18th. & Harvey, I didn't yet know that our everyday fixtures might some day become relics of another age. The wall switches, one shown below, were such an item. They were the only kind we had, found throughout the house. The top button turned things "on", the bottom "off" (unless the switch was installed upside-down). Some had fancy pearl-like inlay on the front surfaces, I guess to delay wear. The action was a "snap", very audible.

I learned early, always seeking answers (my wife even today hates that in me!), that in a dim room, sometimes switching one "off" produced a spark inside, visible through the clearance around the button hole. Sparks were highly desirable! An adventure. Unusual. Suggesting something as seen in the Frankenstein movies! So, I tore one of the switches apart, to learn how it worked. The successors to those old switches, the single-lever, flip up and down type, early on also worked by a "snap" action. Most of today's are silent.

Do any of the Berwyn originals like these still exist? Thanks for reading!   berwynson

Nancy K.

I remember those push button light switches in our house on Maple Avenue. 

berwynson

Quote from: Nancy K. on June 17, 2014, 01:05:03 AM

I remember those push button light switches in our house on Maple Avenue.

Why, how nice to hear from you stranger! Especially in this dismal place! My uncle's house on Maple, I think in the 1900 block, which he built himself maybe around the time when I was born, definitely did not have those old pushbuttons. There were still numerous open lots along Maple when I was taken to his house by my Dad, as a kid. So, few of the homes there were as old as our bungalow (1923), perhaps none.

It remains unanswered whether any homes in Berwyn still have those old switches, still functioning.    berwynson

berwyn senator

There are plenty of old structures in Berwyn,Cicero,that have these receptacles along with the original owners.These go along with the cheap extension cords used for extra outlets.