Western Tire & Auto Store

Started by berwynson, October 06, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

This business lingers in my mind, cannot place where it was, exactly, but certain of it's existence in the Berwyn/Cicero area. Surely a chain of stores, I have not been able to pinpoint any info on-line.

Anybody remember it?    berwynson

watcher

Quote from: berwynson on October 06, 2014, 12:49:36 AM
This business lingers in my mind, cannot place where it was, exactly, but certain of it's existence in the Berwyn/Cicero area. Surely a chain of stores, I have not been able to pinpoint any info on-line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Auto

It was mainly a mail-order/drop ship/catalog retail operation. (Think J.C. Whitney) The stores carried very little stock-on-hand beyond common batteries, tires and a few shiny red bicycles for window dressing. They had very good distribution (for its day) network, so you could order on Monday and the goods would be delivered to the store by Friday.   It was gradually M&A'd out of existence.

My brain remembers a tiny Western Auto store along Cermak Rd east of Ridgeland, maybe Art's Bikes?

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Back in the 50s they had a store in Chicago.  It was on SE corner of Ashland & Roscoe St. near Courtesy Motors.  That was owned by "Jim Moran the Courtesy Man".
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

dualref

There also was a Western Auto on Cicero Av just north of 16th St next to the old Taylor Forge. They had a small showroom. They also sold televisions, console stereos and washers and dryers besides the normal automotive stuff. I believe the Wizard brand were their appliance line. True-tone was their electronics line. As far as appliances & electronics went they had one or two examples of each in this store.

berwynson

Quote from: watcher on October 06, 2014, 08:00:34 AM
Quote from: berwynson on October 06, 2014, 12:49:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Auto

It was mainly a mail-order/drop ship/catalog retail operation. (Think J.C. Whitney) The stores carried very little stock-on-hand beyond common batteries, tires and a few shiny red bicycles for window dressing. They had very good distribution (for its day) network, so you could order on Monday and the goods would be delivered to the store by Friday.   It was gradually M&A'd out of existence.

My brain remembers a tiny Western Auto store along Cermak Rd east of Ridgeland, maybe Art's Bikes?

Bingo! Way, way back, maybe around 1950 or so, I believe it was located in the corner store, Harvey & Cermak, northeast corner.  berwynson

OakParkSpartan

We had them back in Pennsylvania when I was growing up.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ScovilleBob

I worked briefly at a auto parts store in the east end of the Plaza in 1966. I don't remember the name.  Anybody remember that one.

berwynson

Only things I can recall in 1966 east end of Plaza were Sears, and close to the end of the strip mall building, G.C. Murphy. There could have been a store or two east of Murphy, not sure.   berwynson

berwyn senator

Arts toys,then came Imperial Camera,and Hajek Sports.Can't remember what was next.