News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Hello out there

Started by pkd50, October 22, 2014, 01:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

This board was once jumping.  Where is everyone?

watcher

People realized the horse was dead.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Ted

Hey Pat,

I still look at the BTF board once per day... I think most people have moved over to Berwyn Cool Kids on Facebook... but that group (and Facebook in general) seems to have a different atmosphere.

Ted

nativeson

Or...  maybe some folks (like me) have moved, period.  I still check BTF several times a week, though.  You can take the boy out of Berwyn, but not the Berwyn out of the boy!  I've also noticed a sharp drop in postings...  wondering if folks have just kind of given up on improving things.  Or...  maybe everyone feels Berwyn is now so swell that they wouldn't change a thing!  Just wondering...  what's new at the Berwyn Hotel?  ::)

markberwyn

Quote from: pkd50 on October 22, 2014, 01:33:09 PM

They have all become victims of the failed economic policies of Barack Hussein Obama.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

For whatever reason, I can't access the BCK Facebook page; I suspect whoever created it made a point of banning me.  :'(
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on October 23, 2014, 12:54:20 PM
For whatever reason, I can't access the BCK Facebook page; I suspect whoever created it made a point of banning me.  :'(

BCK is a private facebook group.  Someone who is in the group can allow you into the group but I don't think it is externally visible.

Ted

Quote from: nativeson on October 23, 2014, 09:47:33 AM
Or...  maybe some folks (like me) have moved, period.  I still check BTF several times a week, though.  You can take the boy out of Berwyn, but not the Berwyn out of the boy!  I've also noticed a sharp drop in postings...  wondering if folks have just kind of given up on improving things.  Or...  maybe everyone feels Berwyn is now so swell that they wouldn't change a thing!  Just wondering...  what's new at the Berwyn Hotel?  ::)

Hey Bruce,

How's life in Iowa?  Is your son getting used to going to high school in a rural area?

I think I fall into the former group. I've given up. 

2 more years and I will probably sell my house in Berwyn and move someplace a lot warmer.

Ted

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on October 23, 2014, 12:57:30 PM

BCK is a private facebook group.  Someone who is in the group can allow you into the group but I don't think it is externally visible.

Ah, that's interesting. Clearly I need to start sucking up to the right people on Facebook...

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on October 23, 2014, 01:01:05 PM
Quote from: Ted on October 23, 2014, 12:57:30 PM

Ah, that's interesting. Clearly I need to start sucking up to the right people on Facebook...

BCK is a pretty big group.  It has over 1,000 members, including most politicians and other public officials.  Anyone who is a member of the group can let a facbook friend join the group.

But, I don't think Facebook is good for involved discussions, at least not like BTF.   There is so much stuff posted on BCK that it is hard to keep up at times and the width of the text is very narrow compared to BTF.  Most people post something short, not long or involved.

There has been some interesting discussion on BCK about the flooding problems and, during the election, the referenda debate became verey heated.  But, those are the exceptions to the types of discussions that happen on BCK.

The woman who used to log onto BTF under the name Ruffian (among many other names) has also started another facebook group called Berwyn Banter.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on October 23, 2014, 01:18:04 PM
  The woman who used to log onto BTF under the name Ruffian (among many other names) has also started another facebook group called Berwyn Banter.

Yeah, I'll pass on that one.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: pkd50 on October 22, 2014, 01:33:09 PM
I'm still here (in Berwyn) and do check BTF often but you're right, it's mighty quiet.  I'm just not into Facebook, I would say I'm too old but obviously not by the number of people my age who seem to live for it.  I think a good number of regular posters here have been placated by the current administration and probably just don't feel the need to post anymore or were worried about the image that BTF was creating for future buyers into the community.  As for me, I'd rather live someplace where people ask questions and just don't settle for the status quo.

pkd50

Wow.  Nice hearing from familiar names.   The name Ruffian made me smile.  She always made for lively discussions.  Ted, I'm surprised and sorry to hear that you gave up on Berwyn, but I'm happy to hear you have plans for a warmer climate.  I think I know where that will take you. 

Anyhow, I'll keep checking back now and then.  I'm very happy where I am, but I like to hear what's happening in Berwyn.

nativeson

Quote from: Ted on October 23, 2014, 12:59:22 PM
Quote from: nativeson on October 23, 2014, 09:47:33 AM

Hey Bruce,

How's life in Iowa?  Is your son getting used to going to high school in a rural area?

I think I fall into the former group. I've given up. 

2 more years and I will probably sell my house in Berwyn and move someplace a lot warmer.

Ted

Ted, life here in Iowa has been wonderful for us.  Cresco really is like Mayberry in many ways.  The surrounding countryside has been stunningly beautiful this fall with intense reds and oranges.  No gangs out here, no shootings...  very rare to hear a siren.  Both Caryn and I have full-time work, and our son, Stefan, loves going to school out here.  He made friends almost instantly...  the other students were very welcoming.  What's especially nice is that everything is so much easier and less expensive, and everyone has been very helpful.  In addition to my work at the radio station, I'm still dabbling in graphic design and gold leaf lettering.  We have a nice little downtown area, and I'm hoping to help embellish it with some of my work.  That said, I do miss seeing all our friends and neighbors back in Berwyn.  Wish we could get back to visit more often.  It sure isn't easy leaving the only town you've ever lived in!

markberwyn

Quote from: pkd50 on October 24, 2014, 10:53:44 AM
Wow.  Nice hearing from familiar names.   The name Ruffian made me smile.  She always made for lively discussions. 

She was a horrid, uncivil bigot. Her getting banned from this site improved the level of discourse here about 2000 percent.

OakParkSpartan

One of the other people that post there is Frank Magellon, aka HvyChevy, BerwynGuy and a bunch of other accounts.  He was banned here for being an ass to many people. Like Ruffian, he doesn't do much for civil discussion.  He also has blocked many people in that BCK group, which means you can't see his posts.  Therefore it is difficult to read threads where he participates.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

markberwyn

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 26, 2014, 10:47:15 PM
One of the other people that post there is Frank Magellon, aka HvyChevy, BerwynGuy and a bunch of other accounts.  He was banned here for being an ass to many people. Like Ruffian, he doesn't do much for civil discussion.  He also has blocked many people in that BCK group, which means you can't see his posts.  Therefore it is difficult to read threads where he participates.

I noticed that he also runs a Facebook group where he posts old photos/ephemera about Berwyn/Cicero/Little Village. He's a competent amateur historian (at least, I don't know enough to know if he's making egregious errors), but the site would be better if he didn't let the racists have free reign whenever he mentions neighborhoods that are now predominantly black.

pkd50

Does he still live in Berwyn?

markberwyn

If he doesn't, I hope he shuts down his Facebook page and stops posting on BCK. Dude would tell anybody who'd listen that people who don't live in Berwyn are not permitted to comment on it.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 26, 2014, 10:47:15 PM
I'm sure they are all about how much He hates everything Berwyn.  But he is still living here.  This town pisses me off regularly but if I was in that much in hate with it I would have certainly left here by now.