News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Westchester Mariano's

Started by seebee, November 19, 2014, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seebee

Westechester, 31st and Wolf. I was fully prepared to be like, "Whatever." Had a Mariano's open up near I work a year ago, and I just thought it was another overpriced grocery store preying on the uninformed like Jewel or Dominick's, BUT:

Todd's BBQ inside Mariano's. Brisket. I don't wanna jump the gun, but I've tried it twice, and both times, it was the real deal. 13 bux a pound too. They sell sammiches for 9 bux each that look to be piled high with at LEAST half a pound. They are slinging slabs of spares for 12 dollars! The pulled pork was decent, but it was more chunky than "pullable" - like they cooked it at a higher temp than they should have. Only tried it once. The smoked chicken is REALLY good too. Half a smoked bird for 5 bucks, and it's worth it. They have rotisserie chicken, and SMOKED chicken. I'm hoping they can keep the brisket and chicken at a high quality for that price. So far, it's easily been worth it both times I've tried them.

The bakery is loaded, but didn't try anything. They are slinging popcorn at the sweet shop in the front of the store. I tried the "Mariano's Mix," hoping for a Garrett's quality, but it wasn't even really close. IMO, the blue and white bag from Costco was better.

I'm gonna be stopping in for bbq on a regular basis.

Anyone come across anything worthwhile there?

Noble Falcon

Seebee you must try the Italian sausage in the meat department. It was reasonably priced at $2 a pound. It tasted great on the grill. The fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice are good too. I like the store and agree that it is worth the trip.

:usa:

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I've never been to a Mariano's but have heard good things, especially about their ready to go meals such as Seebee mentioned.  I looked online and their house brand of groceries is Roundy's, again don't remember ever trying that brand.  As for italian sausage, I usually buy at Tonini's, right here in Berwyn.  The price was $3.49 a pound last time I bought but it's homemade, local and delicious.  I will have to take a trip out to Mariano's though to check it out and combine getting lunch there along with some grocery shopping.

dukesdad

Roundys is the parent company of Mariano's. The Roundy's house brand has been around forever.

PamF

The Roundy's CEO started in the grocery business with Dominick's in Chicago.  He is the one that wants to have all the Mariano's in the area.

I personally like the chain.  The one on Halsted (and Monroe) has all kinds of good stuff.  You can get a nice piece of fish (or anything) and they will prepare it for you.  Reasonably priced.

Toria

Love the brisket and I buy about a pound of it every other week at least.  I also love the chicken on the hot bar as well as the fact you can buy a
roasted breast of chicken instead of the whole bird.  The pistachio gelato is another favorite item.  I am assuming this Mariano's is the closest one to Berwyn.