News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Turano land grab

Started by Ted, January 31, 2015, 07:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/1-29-2015/Neighbors-sue-Berwyn-over-Turano-parking-lots-/

Neighbors sue Berwyn over Turan parking lots
  Lawsuit says Berwyn City Council bypassed zoning ordinance
Thursday, January 29th, 2015 2:43 PM
By Timothy Inklebarger
Staff Reporter

Berwyn residents living near Turano Baking Co. have sued the city of Berwyn over its fast-track approval of the company's plan to demolish five homes and build five separate parking lots in their place.

On Thursday, the plaintiffs were granted a temporary restraining order by Judge Kathleen Kennedy, preventing additional work on the properties, according to the plaintiffs' attorney Steven Shonder.

The five residential parcels just south of Turano's multi-block facility run from East to Elmwood avenues and are separated from the bakery by an alley.

Residents filing the lawsuit argue that the city violated its own zoning ordinance by allowing Turano to bypass various permits and zoning requirements. The plaintiffs also argue that the city ordinance prohibits commercial parking lots on parcels zoned for residential properties. The five properties are zoned for single- or two-family residences.

Three homes already have been demolished -- 1213 Scoville Ave., 1213 Gunderson Ave. and 1212 Elmwood Ave. -- and two others -- 1213 East Ave. and 1212 Scoville Ave. -- are set to be removed.

Shonder said the temporary restraining order not only prevents Turano from demolishing the other two homes, but it also stops Turano from using the newly empty parcels for parking. He said that Kennedy said during the Thursday court hearing that his clients have a likelihood of winning the case.

"I couldn't be happier for my clients," Shonder said.

Turano has been under pressure to find new parking for its delivery trucks and workers since a fire in November destroyed a truck maintenance facility and delivery vehicle parking lot at 6520 W. Roosevelt Road in Oak Park. Turano executive Anthony Turano could not immediately be reached for comment.

Oak Park Village Planner Craig Failor said Turano has not formally approached the village with a proposal to rebuild the facility.

"It sounds like they might be trying to figure out what to do with Berwyn first," Failor said.

Failor noted that Turano would have to go through the standard zoning procedure in Oak Park to receive approval to rebuild.

Turano already tried to expand the maintenance facility in 2011, but the plans to build a 22-space parking lot to the east on the Oak Park side of Roosevelt Road were rejected by the village's Zoning Board of Appeals.

That plan was rejected in part because the maintenance facility is in the Roosevelt Road Form-Based Overlay District, which was created to promote economic development along the road.

The fast-track approval of the plan to build the temporary gravel parking lots — which likely would become permanent — was proposed Berwyn's 8th Ward Alderman Nora Laureto.

Laureto noted in a Nov. 21 letter to Berwyn Mayor Robert Lovero and Berwyn City Council members that Anthony Turano has been working to purchase the properties for a few years but was not planning on building lots until spring 2015 or later.

"Due to the situation they are now in, they are asking that we expedite their request and allow them to demolish these homes and gravel the parking area," Laureto said.

She notes the Turano — Berwyn's second largest employer after MacNeal Hospital — would make a formal request to the Berwyn Zoning Board if the fast-track approval is granted.

The council's approval of the project has sparked outrage from residents living near the bakery. A flier has been circulating among residents living near the bakery, demanding an impartial evaluation of the project. That review should include an examination of "how parking will affect residents in the designated areas, increase foot and vehicle traffic or how this change will affect home values."

Another flier claims the change will bring more traffic to the neighborhood and that "Turano will pay lower taxes on the land now and our taxes will increase to make it up."

Raymond Martinez, one of the plaintiffs named in the lawsuit, directed questions to Shonder.

The case is set for a status hearing on Feb. 10.

OakParkSpartan

I'm glad someone still pays attention to what is going on.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I am too.  Thanks Ted.  I would not have even known or pulled it up online if you did not post this. 

B60402

This is a tough one.  The City does appear to have tried to fast track this project and live by my favorite saying: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Turano is a local iconic brand and (without any numbers) assume that they provide much needed financial support to the City, not to mention call Berwyn their Corporate Headquarters.  While the business does not fit in to today's standards, where businesses of this type are banished to large industrial parks, it really speaks to Berwyn's and the company's history together that they stay and if Oak Park is going to play hardball with allowing them to rebuild the same type of building on their own property, then let them move over to Berwyn's side.  While I am not a homeowner to the immediate south of the property, is there really a large difference between living behind a huge bakery or behind the huge bakery's parking lot?  Will it really affect property values that much? 

I am sure Ferrara Pan will be gone from Forest Park (at least the current location) within 5 years given the recent sale of the company along with the impending Ike/Blue Line renovation project.  Let's hope Turano doesn't follow.  There are enough vacancies on Roosevelt for small businesses to open.  The new façade work to Mama Susi's Bakery also added nicely to the streetscape.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 03, 2015, 11:03:48 PM
I am too.  Thanks Ted.  I would not have even known or pulled it up online if you did not post this.
I can't wait until MacNeal Hospital a/k/a the Vanguard  Group tries to do this with the homes they own across the street from me if the City of Berwyn wins this.  Carte Blanche, your street and neighborhood are now gone.  Isn't there something called Eminent Domain when it comes to land grabs that protects the homeowners?

buzz

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 03, 2015, 11:14:34 PM
I can't wait until MacNeal Hospital a/k/a the Vanguard  Group tries to do this with the homes they own across the street from me if the City of Berwyn wins this.  Carte Blanche, your street and neighborhood are now gone.  Isn't there something called Eminent Domain when it comes to land grabs that protects the homeowners?
It's all owned by Tenet now, although they are still using the Vanguard moniker for some enterprises.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on February 04, 2015, 12:27:53 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 03, 2015, 11:14:34 PM
It's all owned by Tenet now, although they are still using the Vanguard moniker for some enterprises.
Whoever it is, they are extremely poor landlords.  The houses that Tenet/Vanguard owns across the street from me have not had the snow removed from the sidewalk since we've had the huge snowfall on Superbowl Sunday.  Young professionals buying into the neighborhood either have to cross on my side or walk in the street.  I am ashamed to live across the street from a homeowner who won't even shovel the sidewalk in front of their home(s).  One poor guy walking home from the train actually stopped me today to ask why he can't walk on the other side of the street to get to his house.  I explained the situation and then told him to get in touch with the city and ask them why.  Total BS.

Bonster

Quote from: B60402 on February 03, 2015, 11:07:57 PM
This is a tough one.  The City does appear to have tried to fast track this project and live by my favorite saying: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Turano is a local iconic brand and (without any numbers) assume that they provide much needed financial support to the City, not to mention call Berwyn their Corporate Headquarters.  While the business does not fit in to today's standards, where businesses of this type are banished to large industrial parks, it really speaks to Berwyn's and the company's history together that they stay and if Oak Park is going to play hardball with allowing them to rebuild the same type of building on their own property, then let them move over to Berwyn's side.  While I am not a homeowner to the immediate south of the property, is there really a large difference between living behind a huge bakery or behind the huge bakery's parking lot?  Will it really affect property values that much? 

I am sure Ferrara Pan will be gone from Forest Park (at least the current location) within 5 years given the recent sale of the company along with the impending Ike/Blue Line renovation project.  Let's hope Turano doesn't follow.  There are enough vacancies on Roosevelt for small businesses to open.  The new façade work to Mama Susi's Bakery also added nicely to the streetscape.

Well put; I couldn't agree more.  Their (neighbors') issue is traffic.  I'm pretty sure Turano has the resources to design both the lot and access in a way such that traffic issues could be mitigated.  They've been a great corporate neighbor on the Roosevelt side; I hope they continue that trend.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: B o n s t e r on April 01, 2015, 08:07:04 PM
Quote from: B60402 on February 03, 2015, 11:07:57 PM

Well put; I couldn't agree more.  Their (neighbors') issue is traffic.  I'm pretty sure Turano has the resources to design both the lot and access in a way such that traffic issues could be mitigated.  They've been a great corporate neighbor on the Roosevelt side; I hope they continue that trend.
I'm pretty sure their neighbors issue is having to deal with a major land holder who doesn't give a crap about their property and having the city who they have paid taxes to for years nolt giving a hoot either.  I just hope Turano pays them for their inconvenience at the very least.
t

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on April 02, 2015, 10:01:12 PMI'm pretty sure their neighbors issue is having to deal with a major land holder who doesn't give a crap about their property and having the city who they have paid taxes to for years nolt giving a hoot either. 

No, it's about traffic. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

George Lambesis

Mrs. N, are you still coming over for tea tomorrow? :D

MindoverMatter

Has there been any update on this?