News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Graffiti

Started by berwyn senator, May 09, 2015, 11:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Ok! here I go,I have mentioned this in the past and nothing has been done.After the town power washes graffiti from a garage door the original paint is removed leaving an out line of the graffiti.Garages are left that way and never repainted,some for over five years!!! The owners have just left them and they look terrible,why has the blight dept. ignored these houses.They ticket for peeling paint but not these garages?

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 09, 2015, 11:00:48 AM
Ok! here I go,I have mentioned this in the past and nothing has been done.After the town power washes graffiti from a garage door the original paint is removed leaving an out line of the graffiti.Garages are left that way and never repainted,some for over five years!!! The owners have just left them and they look terrible,why has the blight dept. ignored these houses.They ticket for peeling paint but not these garages?

That's why brick garages are not good.  I remember when I was looking for a house 30 years ago, I wanted a brick garage.  I settled for a wood frame garage. At least with wood, you can paint over the graffiti.

berwyn senator

There is a way to clean the brick with a type of sand blasting,I would say its costly.I would not want a brick garage for the reason.

exPROPer

Maybe people don't repaint because they think the graffiti will be back on the garage in days.

Regardless, I wonder if those homes get the blight letter from the city to "clean it up."  Last year the blight lady hit our block.  We have an almost haunted house on our block that gets the city letter regularly.  After checking with the city I was told the city has little/no power to make owners do anything. 

Ted

Quote from: exPROPer on May 10, 2015, 07:22:15 AM
Maybe people don't repaint because they think the graffiti will be back on the garage in days.

Regardless, I wonder if those homes get the blight letter from the city to "clean it up."  Last year the blight lady hit our block.  We have an almost haunted house on our block that gets the city letter regularly.  After checking with the city I was told the city has little/no power to make owners do anything.

The city does have the power to fine people. I was fined $750 about 10 years ago for not painting pealing paint on my garage in time.

berwyn senator

I  believe the city has the power,for some reason this low priority!

berwynson

Quote from: Ted on May 10, 2015, 10:10:03 AM
Quote from: exPROPer on May 10, 2015, 07:22:15 AM

The city does have the power to fine people. I was fined $750 about 10 years ago for not painting pealing paint on my garage in time.

Having the power to fine people for such indiscretion is a breach of logic. Like preventing folks from living whatever life style they find suitable.   berwynson

berwyn senator

I have too agree with you Berwynson!

berwyn senator

Doesn't anyone have any pride of home ownership? They don't care, not like years ago!!!!

berwyn senator

Years ago we never had graffiti,if there was blight the majority would clean it up. Today sticking a cattle prod up the owners ass will not work.