News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Homes in Berwyn

Started by berwyn senator, May 12, 2015, 09:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

I was fortunate years ago,when Berwyn was a real neighborhood,to be able to go into many of the old bungalows throughout Berwyn.People kept these home as neat as a pin.Yards were well manicured,insides mostly all original,by the time I bought my second bungalow already the butchers remodeled.I wanted the home because of construction and size,I figured  another part time job remodeling,I was right the home turned out fine.To this day as I drive down some of the side streets I can remember some of the homes I was in,and wonder how they have changed inside.

dualref

It depends on the owner of the home and how much exposure they've had to HGTV.

HGTV has a lot of those home remodeling shows with fancy designers. You'll see things like "Oh! Look at that horrible kitchen! You simply need to rip it out and start over again!" and "You have no color in this house! You must paint the walls bright orange and yellow to cheer it up!'

It seems that the people who create these shows have no interest in restoring the original fittings of the homes and it seems like  they feel that every house must be blinged out to have any value. A lot of times the original design of the house is timeless whereas these remodel jobs will look dated in a few short years.

berwynson

As a kid at 1805 S. Harvey, our kitchen sink was a big cast iron affair, up against the south wall having a single big tub, and a cast iron leg supporting the drain portion of the sink, was extended about 3 feet to the left. My mother never complained about it. But my new wife, after we bought the bungalow from my folks, asked if I could remove it.

I did. In it's place stood a two-oven stove, one above the other. The Fridge which previously stood against the wall adjacent to the entry door from the back porch, was removed to the pantry, a small room between the basement staircase and the east bedroom. The pantry had a window at it's far end for light, behind which was the attic staircase, having a window to the outside opposite.

The layout of the house was adequate to provide living for:

My mother & father & sister, until she got a kid and husband, then add those 2. My Dad chose to buy the house a year before I was born, mainly because it had a side-drive, very important to him. Evidently, more so nowadays.   berwynson

berwyn senator

Most of the homes were butchered by do it yourself warriors,the problem exists in these homes most have been painted and remodeled over and over again.When sold even a good inspector does not find the real faults because they never say a completely original home.