News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

TV sets of years past

Started by berwyn senator, May 14, 2015, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Remember the old black and white sets? The antennas screwed on the back of sets and had to be twisted and turned in order to get a good picture.Each channel was different.then a tuner on the set had to be also adjusted.There were all kinds of gadgets on the market all claiming a better picture,out door antennas bolted to a  chimney or roof.When the set wouldn't work there were tv repair men that would come to the house.The man would come with a case of tools and tubes,while he worked in the back a large mirror would be placed in front of the set so he could see the picture.Bills for repairs were never very much usually around $8.00,if the set didn't need a new tuner.Some manufactures were known to have bad tuners,only way to find out is when you bought one.I think we only had four channels,2,5 7 9 ? Saturday night kids would come over to watch Shook Theater and Marvin as host showing horror films Dracula,Frankenstein,and Wolfman.

buzz

Didn't the stations sign off the air at a certain hour ?  I seem to remember some ridiculous geometric symbol would be displayed when they stopped programming.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwyn senator

Yes they did sign off around midnight after the late night movie,other stations without movies went off the air earlier.

berwyn senator

I bought a Sony portable 12"color set for $400 1970 no remote,that was all we could afford. Look what can be purchased today for the same amount of money.

watcher

Quote from: buzz on May 14, 2015, 05:27:19 PM
Didn't the stations sign off the air at a certain hour ?  I seem to remember some ridiculous geometric symbol would be displayed when they stopped programming.

When TV arrived, programming was limited to a few hours a day. Equipment was in constant need of adjustment. The test pattern provided both transmitters and receivers a tool to tweak the signal for the clearest picture. In addition to the V-hold, H-hold, contrast, brightness and fine tuning knobs on the front, there were several adjustments on the rear of the chassis made with a "special" tool.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwyn senator

The black and white sets had a big picture tub,and many small ones.

dualref

And the early color sets had those oval screens rather than rectangular. A family down the street got a RCA color set around 1958 or so. I remember going over there with my dad to look at it. My dad said if I even look at that set the wrong way I'll get slapped! But I remember that the snow on the screen between stations (like Channel 6) even was in color!

I think it wasn't until about 1963 or 64 that rectangular screens appeared on color television.

dualref

And the early color sets had those oval screens rather than rectangular. A family down the street got a RCA color set around 1958 or so. I remember going over there with my dad to look at it. My dad said if I even look at that set the wrong way I'll get slapped! But I remember that the snow on the screen between stations (like Channel 6) even was in color!

I think it wasn't until about 1963 or 64 that rectangular screens appeared on color television.

berwyn senator

1971 we bought Motorola works in a drawer color 27' console,cost six hundred dollars.That year I had more company especially for sports programs.