News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Morals Have Changed

Started by berwyn senator, May 20, 2015, 09:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Some will say I am stuck on old Berwyn,the fact is I have seen so many changes over the years none for the better.Streets are not same anywhere,shootings occur  daily, the family unit is no longer like when I grew up.Even the police are targets today,so who protects the average person?Why get involved?

Cathy

That's  easy to answer:  "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything!"  Albert Einstein
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

berwyn senator

The world was different during Albert Einstein's time.

watcher

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 20, 2015, 09:38:52 PM
Some will say I am stuck on old Berwyn,the fact is I have seen so many changes over the years none for the better.Streets are not same anywhere,shootings occur  daily, the family unit is no longer like when I grew up.Even the police are targets today,so who protects the average person?Why get involved?

This is such a pile of horsecrap. If you're gonna point a finger, point it at television and air conditioning. People in Berwyn and everywhere else interacted a lot more in the olden days so there were patterns of behavior and rules among neighbors that kept things somewhat peaceful, but there were always delinquents, criminals, bad neighbors and misunderstandings. Back then, the neighborhood was the family entertainment. You knew who was on your street and could see what they were doing.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

berwyn senator

When there was a dispute it was handled with guns or other weapons,not like today.Hospitals have armed guards,emergency rooms have locked doors think why?This is not a pile of horses sh it.How come years ago most families had weapons,none were ever used to settle disputes,not like today.What has the amount of dope available today to do with declining morals,and shootings?

watcher

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 21, 2015, 07:32:58 PM
When there was a dispute it was handled with guns or other weapons,not like today.Hospitals have armed guards,emergency rooms have locked doors think why?This is not a pile of horses sh it.How come years ago most families had weapons,none were ever used to settle disputes,not like today.What has the amount of dope available today to do with declining morals,and shootings?

What years do you peg as the good old days? How old were you then? How often do you stoop sit these days? Are you not outside because of the violence or is the violence because you're not outside? During the day back then, how many houses were unoccupied or only contained seniors? If our morals have truly declined to the level you claim why is violence still sporadic and random?

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

moose

I grew up in Berwyn in the 70-80's, for the most part everyone on our block was friendly, you knew who lived in every house on the block you knew everyone's kids and family. A few years ago I moved back into the house where I grew up,  in that time the houses on both sides of me changed owners. When I saw my new neighbors I made the point to introduce myself and welcomed them to the neighborhood.  We acknowledge each other in passing, but I couldn't tell you anything about their family as I'm sure they could not tell you anything about mine. Samething with with most of the other people on the block, we exchange "waves" in passing. I'm not a curmudgeon, there are a few neighbors on the block that I do talk to, but nothing like it was years ago. Could it be a language barrier? Possibly.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

berwyn senator

Today our society is very hostile compared to years ago,shootings can occur at any time or place.Pay attention and listen to the news,every day there is a shooting in Chicago,robberies   are much more common compared to years ago.One more thing I made a mistake on my last post,the word with should be without.

moose

last year a "perp" broke my gate running from the police, then caught him in the alley.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

berwyn senator

During the 70's Berwyn was a different place to live compared to today,changes started in the 80's.Seniors died or moved,children grew up and moved,this was happening in most older suburbs.

chandasz

I am really sick of hearing about how moralistic the "good ol' days" were. Those good old days of segregation, gay persecution, domestic violence gone unpunished, women's rights being nonexistent, religious discrimination, child abuse being OK.

The only people that the "good ol' days" were good for are the same people that they are by and large good for now-- white men.

So nyah

markberwyn

Quote from: chandasz on May 22, 2015, 01:25:42 PM
I am really sick of hearing about how moralistic the "good ol' days" were. Those good old days of segregation, gay persecution, domestic violence gone unpunished, women's rights being nonexistent, religious discrimination, child abuse being OK.

The only people that the "good ol' days" were good for are the same people that they are by and large good for now-- white men.

So nyah

+100. This book is superb on this point:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Never-Were-Nostalgia/dp/0465090974
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

The book is only an opinion, they are like assholes everyone has one!!!!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 22, 2015, 08:30:55 PM
The book is only an opinion, they are like assholes everyone has one!!!!

This, from the guy who was browbeating people about how much more people read in the olden days and how People These Days don't read anymore and how it was better in the old days (when people read books).
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

No TV no computers,we had no choice but to read in school,cursive is not taught anymore.We did not need a dress code. Pay attention how the young girls dress and swear,listen to what they speak about,sex and boys.There was no nursery for girls in high schools.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 23, 2015, 10:52:45 AM
No TV no computers,we had no choice but to read in school,cursive is not taught anymore.We did not need a dress code. Pay attention how the young girls dress and swear,listen to what they speak about,sex and boys.There was no nursery for girls in high schools.

Where do you go to watch young women and eavesdrop on what they have to say about sex and boys?

berwyn senator

Just ask a few high school teachers,if you know any?

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 23, 2015, 12:51:48 PM
Just ask a few high school teachers,if you know any?

I hope you gave them a stern lecture about how your generation's teachers were better than they are!

berwyn senator

I sure did,but they agreed it is much more difficult to discipline children today.

watcher

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 22, 2015, 09:19:00 AM
Today our society is very hostile compared to years ago,shootings can occur at any time or place.Pay attention and listen to the news,every day there is a shooting in Chicago,robberies   are much more common compared to years ago.One more thing I made a mistake on my last post,the word with should be without.

I thought this was about Berwyn? Your risk of being the victim of a crime have not changed much over time. Berwyn's reputation has always been sort of rough and tumble, ethnic, with lengthy streaks of racism. Whatever era you try to look back at, nostalgically, has to discount or overlook random senselessness and stupidity.