News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Where are other posts?

Started by berwyn senator, May 28, 2015, 07:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

I think it was 19Th south on the west side of Lombard 2ND. fl. a family moved in and were chased out.This happened around 1949 or 1950 not sure.

markberwyn

Why would good-old-days Berwynites chase out a family?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

Who knows? From what I understand the majority of the people were not from Berwyn,Cicero was across the street.

markberwyn

Fine, let's say it was the Great Berwyn-Cicero Race Riot of 1949 or Maybe 1950. What's your understanding of what happened?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Ah, never mind. Here's the story of the good old days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicero_race_riot_of_1951

More from this article, which more "good old days" Berwynites should read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

QuoteIn 1951, thousands of whites in Cicero, 20 minutes or so west of downtown Chicago, attacked an apartment building that housed a single black family, throwing bricks and firebombs through the windows and setting the apartment on fire. A Cook County grand jury declined to charge the rioters—and instead indicted the family's NAACP attorney, the apartment's white owner, and the owner's attorney and rental agent, charging them with conspiring to lower property values.

And more here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/the-american-case-against-a-black-middle-class/267385/

QuoteWhen a black family in Chicago saves up enough to move out of the crowded slums into Cicero, the neighborhood riots. The father had saved for years for a piano for his kids. The people of Cicero tossed the piano out the window, looted his home, torched his apartment and then torched his building.

berwynson

Quote from: markberwyn on June 14, 2015, 05:26:34 PM
Fine, let's say it was the Great Berwyn-Cicero Race Riot of 1949 or Maybe 1950. What's your understanding of what happened?

See Reminisce, page 7 of 9, I started a thread on this March 12, 2011. I'd rather not re-write the whole thing. Look it over, ask questions, if you like.   berwynson

berwyn senator

I didn't remember all,thanks Berwynson.Let me ask you go under Markberwyn yet your criticism of Berwyn is constant.I'll bet you never spent much time in Berwyn?

markberwyn

I don't know how you'd define "much time," but I grew up in Lyons and spent plenty of time in Berwyn with friends and relatives then, including attending Morton West. And I was a homeowner there for a while as a grownup, and have friends and family who still live out there. I think the town has a lot of good aspects, which is why I'm not a big fan of Ronnie Lottz and his apologists embarrassing the town globally. But I also don't see the virtue in pretending that everything about the past was wonderful and that it's all gone pear-shaped today.

berwyn senator

I must agree the mirror is stupid,but Berwyn was a more quite town years back compared to Cicero and even Lyons.

markberwyn

The Berwyn types covered their asses better. For a while.

berwyn senator

Berwyn asses were to big to cover.

berwyn senator