News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Bank Forced ??

Started by buzz, June 02, 2015, 03:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Went by the old Salerno's/Blue Penguin and noticed the building has for sale signs stating it's a "Bank Forced" sale.
What's that all about ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwynson

Salerno's Pizza? When we ordered from them, they were on 16th. St. west of East Ave., before Oak Park, north side of the street, this was circa 1971. Some kind of park across the street? Talking 40 years ago, so give me a break. Back then, their pizza was considered the PRIMO available, pretty much in Chicagoland! They were close to a business owned by the VanCura family, a photography business. I was attending Morton Jr. College nights, my wife's sister ran in to pick up the pizza, ~ 9Pm. I remember the cold, winter nights, ice-encrusted branches reaching out over 16th. St., wondering where I was going to end up, after 30 years in Berwyn.

Looking back, our childhoods back then, me, Senator's, our friends, were much more idyllic and simple than kids now have. Too bad. The fun of growing up has seemingly been lost..............berwynson

Ted

Quote from: berwynson on June 10, 2015, 12:26:47 AM
Salerno's Pizza? When we ordered from them, they were on 16th. St. west of East Ave., before Oak Park, north side of the street, this was circa 1971. Some kind of park across the street? Talking 40 years ago.

I used to go to the old Salerno's on 16th street all the time during the 70s.

The Salerno's on 16th street closed down and that building is now the North Berwyn Elementary School District 98 administrative headquarters.

One of the Salerno's opened up a pizzeria on Roosevelt.  Another one of the Salerno's opened up a pizzeria on Grove just south of the Berwyn Metra station.

Buzz is referring to the pizzeria on Grove.

Here is a discussion about the Salernos on Grove:

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=4914.0

Gaetane

I just moved to Berwyn after living for several years near Grand and Ogden in the city.  The Salerno's location on Grand is far superior to the Oak Park shop.  Villa Nova on Pershing is our local choice now. 

Sorry for the pizza rant, I know this does not answer your question about the building!

berwyn senator

The Salerno's on 16Th. st. started in the 60's,in a converted tavern.I stopped in there one evening to pick up a pizza,there was a wait so we went to the bar.Two beers poured,up from behind the bar came this large cock roach just walking on to the bar the roach was big enough to put a saddle on.No more Salerno's!!!

berwyn senator

As old as we are we still laugh about the good old Berwyn.

B60402

Try the Salerno's in Countryside; that location's ownership I believe is the original and definitely the best pizza out of all Salerno's locations.

rabblerabble

Blue Penguin was supposed to launch back in 2012. No idea what happened or why they never really launched but it is a shame that is a vacant restaurant now.