News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

NO FARM ANIMALS!

Started by Ted, June 06, 2015, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

This Tuesday, the Berwyn City Council will consider an amendment to its current animal laws that would characterize farm animals on private property as a nuisance. Here is the language being proposed:

No person shall keep, house or board any horse, mule, ass, ox, cow, goat pig (with the exception of miniature potbellied pigs), chicken, rooster, turkey, duck, goose, or other like fowl, animal, or livestock. Possession of such animal is hereby declared to be a nuisance.

berwynson

They left out rabbits and pigeons! As a kid, during the 19th. St. Race Riot, my two rabbits escaped from their hutch out in our back yard. Next morning very early, a Guardsman knocked on our back door, holding the rabbits. He remarked to me Mother they had seen the hutch, and figured the bunnies they caught "out on Main St. (18th. St!), were ours!

Growing up, an old guy across the street, west side of Harvey middle of the block halfway between 18th and 19th, had a "pigeon coop" atop the garage out by the alley. The flock flew circles over the neighborhood frequently. I'll bet if you drive through the alley, that coop can still be seen on the garage!    berwynson

markberwyn

Race riot? I thought things were all cool and nonviolent in the olden days.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MikeWazowski

My neighbor has chickens. Not sure how many as they are in his garage, but I can hear them clucking every morning.

berwyn senator

I would say by the posts,most are to young to understand what went on in Berwyn years ago!!!!

Ted

Quote from: MikeWazowski on June 08, 2015, 04:47:08 PM
My neighbor has chickens. Not sure how many as they are in his garage, but I can hear them clucking every morning.
Chickens are illegal in Berwyn.  The proposed amendment to the law is simply a clarification to the existing law.  It makes the law more specific.

berwyn senator

For years one of my neighbors had a goose living in his back yard,best watch dog in the neighborhood. During Easter pet shops would sell baby chickens,and rabbits.

chandasz

I think we should allow chickens. Surrounding communities are allowing it now. No roosters. Chickens are great pets and fresh eggs are wonderful. People concerned about smell and mess and noise -- same issues with dogs and we are not proposing to ban them.

Berwyn took forever to allow rain barrels for god's sake. Why do we have to be in the last century on every issue.

Obviously cows and larger animals who need larger grazing areas should not be here. I even realize goats are not a good plan (but I want one when I grow up).

berwyn senator

I believe the pet is never to blame,the owner is the problem,animals require a lot of time and maintenance! People that walk their dogs,because they don't want the dog shit in their yard,so go on the neighbors grass.They pick it up but the smudge and odor is left,every dog the goes by craps in the same spot.When I cut the grass,the smell in the bag and lawn mower is sicking!

berwyn senator

Pigeons were quite common,especially in the Hawthorne area of Cicero,they were kept in garages and attics.If I remember people used to race them,they were taken a distance away,released and time the ones which returned first. Down town Chicago was loaded with pigeons,until it was determined they carried a disease,poison was used  eliminate them.Still there are some around to this day they are a good meal for Falcons,left overs for the crows!!!!!!!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: chandasz on June 09, 2015, 10:10:05 AM
I think we should allow chickens. Surrounding communities are allowing it now. No roosters. Chickens are great pets and fresh eggs are wonderful. People concerned about smell and mess and noise -- same issues with dogs and we are not proposing to ban them.

Berwyn took forever to allow rain barrels for god's sake. Why do we have to be in the last century on every issue.

Obviously cows and larger animals who need larger grazing areas should not be here. I even realize goats are not a good plan (but I want one when I grow up).
I have to disagree on this one.  Chickens may be great pets but why can't people just get a dog or a cat and buy organic brown eggs at the store.  Most lots in Berwyn are very small and not conducive to raising poultry.  Aside from that, I'm sure that when people hear that chickens are allowed most of us will wake to the crowing of roosters.

berwyn senator

The people I see around here can't properly take care of their dogs,cats etc.give them chickens and Berwyn would smell like chicken shit.Years ago people were responsible for their pets.