News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

St.Mary of Celle

Started by berwyn senator, July 04, 2015, 01:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Years ago the basement was used for kids to roller skate,today I understand it is used for the homeless!!!!!!

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 04, 2015, 01:12:00 PM
Years ago the basement was used for kids to roller skate,today I understand it is used for the homeless!!!!!!

The program is called PADS.  St. Mary of Celle has been (or was) part of the PADS program in the late 1990s.  Not sure if they still are, but based on your comment, I assume they are.

PADS is a program that provides shelter to homeless people. There are a rotating set of churches that provide places for the homeless to stay for the night via the PADS program. St. Mary of Celle is/was one of those churches.

Think of it this way - What would Jesus want?  To use the St. Mary of Celle basement for roller skating?  or providing shelter to the homeless.

berwyn senator

That is a loaded question.

markberwyn

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

markberwyn

So, not a loaded question at all, actually.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bungalow

The charitable organization that runs PADS has rebranded itself as Housing Forward. THey believe the new name helps them to explain that PADS is just one of its programs that supports its goal of finding permanent housing for its clients. The near west suburban PADS program is comprised of seven volunteer churches and synagogues. Senator, some of these locations are even in Oak Park. Each location houses and feeds the homeless for one night each week between October 1 and April 30. Volunteers are always needed for the evening (dinner), overnight, and early morning (breakfast) shifts. The St. Mary of Celle site's night is Saturday.

berwyn senator

What about the children?

chandasz

I don't think the children who attend "The Children's School" are there at night.... I know that St. Louise Parish in LaGrange Park does this too and they house a school as well

berwyn senator

I am aware the children are not there at night,how well is the place cleaned after the homeless leave?Who pays for the homeless?

chandasz

Since it's a charity-- I'm sure that's how the shelter is funded. Maybe the church kicks in? That would be something I think the church should do-- yes? I'm sure they'd be able to answer all these questions if you call them

berwyn senator

Good idea,I remember when the shelter was started there was plenty of complaints from people fearing the homeless would hang around the children came to school.