News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Cigars and Stripes?

Started by watcher, April 27, 2015, 07:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

markberwyn

Ronnie Lottz tells a reporter that he's raised $300 (or 300 of something) in the fight against cyberbullying:

https://twitter.com/RonnieLottz/status/606183857025646594

Have you donated? Do you know what charity your donation benefits?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

The privacy ordinance proposed by Marge Paul has been reviewed by "legal" and will be voted on at this Tuesday's city council meeting on June 9.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on June 06, 2015, 06:38:42 AM

The privacy ordinance proposed by Marge Paul has been reviewed by "legal" and will be voted on at this Tuesday's city council meeting on June 9.

That's gonna put a crimp in the anti-cyberbullying campaign.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Screw it. As we wait for Ronnie Lottz to identify whatever anti-cyberbullying organization it is he plans to give money to, raised in some way that's yet to be determined, I've decided to open up my own wallet. I encourage you to do the same.

For every day that Ronnie Lottz keeps the two-way mirror up in his ladies' room, I will give $1 to charity.

I know, I know. A buck isn't a lot. But I'm willing to go into three figures for this.

I'm confident that I'll have to.

I've also decided to make my donation retroactive to April 27, the day that Ronnie Lottz told Jezebel that he would burn his fucking place to the ground before he takes down the mirror. So Lottz has inspired $40 in giving already.

I've decided to split my tribute to Ronnie Lottz between two charities.

The first is the Feminist Majority Foundation (feminist.org), which is "dedicated to women's equality, reproductive health, and non-violence." By not just installing the mirror but by responding to criticism of the mirror with insults, slurs, redirection, and lectures about how women ought to behave, Ronnie Lottz has spotlighted the ways that women are exploited every day by misogyny. But if it weren't for Lottz vociferously defending that mirror and refusing to take it down, Berwyn would be that much more ignorant about how entrenched misogyny is in our society. I'm giving to FMF to help it spread that word in more positive ways.

The second charity I'm supporting is the Anti-Defamation League (adl.org), which has famously strived to address racism in general and anti-Semitic hate speech in particular. This gift is in tribute to Ronnie Lottz's decision to fire Iron Balls McArthur, a longtime performer at Cigars and Stripes, after discovering that he is a virulent racist. With this gift, it is my hope that we remember that a white supremacist can perform at your establishment for years without you knowing a single thing about it, but that quick action can resolve the issue.

I hope this will, in some small way, continue the conversation that Ronnie Lottz has started about misogyny and racism, in Berwyn and beyond.