News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Oak Park

Started by berwyn senator, July 06, 2015, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang54

Quote from: chandasz on July 09, 2015, 06:26:48 PM
Elected officials of the city have no doings in the school. It's really about not.enough.money. There is a tipping point with money-- when we don't have enough to meet the needs of our kids and we're there.

L Thanks to Rauner cutting everything for working people to benefit the 1%.

Rauner just got in office !! You wanna point fingers point them at Madigan and his cronies who have made this the worst state in almost every category. Finances,education, the state is a mess.

berwyn senator

I agree with all,one question I understand there is a nurse in the school.for outside people?We had a nurse just for the students.

berwynson

The folks who recently ranked all 50 states by their "desirability", based on many factors considered, placed Illinois at #27, ranging from #1, Michigan, the BEST, to #50, Florida, the WORST. Their heads are up their asses regarding their rankings, AFAIC. See the whole definition, if you care to, here:

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-def...796477147.html

berwynson

markberwyn

I think this is the article you're referencing:

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-definitive-and-final-ranking-of-all-50-states-122796477147.html

You realize the list is meant to be funny, right? Here's the summary of Illinois:

Chicago's a fine city that vacillates between having WAY too high an opinion of itself and desperately needing outside approval. That said, without it, Illinois would really be scraping bottom. Have you ever been to Rockford? That city enjoys bowling to a degree that makes everybody else uncomfortable. Also, since 1961 Illinois has sent an impressive four governors to prison, so watch yourself Bruce Rauner!

If you want to feel better about Illinois, here's a clever (and very funny) ranking of states by their definitive food. Illinois comes out on top:

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwynson

"You realize the list is meant to be funny, right?"

I'm probably too serious to realize that.    berwynson

berwyn senator

Which state could one move to? No matter how rated taxes remain,local and federal.

markberwyn

Ugh, taxes! So horrible! Do they do a lick of good?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

I believe politicians are over paid,benefits way to high. If they had to live on a average salary,and pension our taxes would be lower,maybe we could save a few bucks.Most parents both work kids are left to themselves,maybe this is how gangs recruit? I really don't know just a thought!!

markberwyn

What would an appropriate "average salary" for a politician be? And---just take a guess here---what percentage of total government spending do you think lawmaker salaries and benefits account for?

Bonus question: Lowering lawmaker salaries make it more likely that those running for office are independently wealthy. Does this improve democracy? Explain.

markberwyn

Also, I can give you every assurance that when gangs go looking for kids to bring into their fold, they're not preying on the children of dual-income households.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on July 12, 2015, 10:49:01 PM
Also, I can give you every assurance that when gangs go looking for kids to bring into their fold, they're not preying on the children of dual-income households.
Considering the violence in Chicago I would consider that somewhat of a white elitist and racist remark.  But of course, I'm sure I'm wrong because most dual income families are definitely low income and black.

markberwyn

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on July 13, 2015, 12:11:25 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on July 12, 2015, 10:49:01 PM
Considering the violence in Chicago I would consider that somewhat of a white elitist and racist remark.  But of course, I'm sure I'm wrong because most dual income families are definitely low income and black.

Huh?

berwyn senator

Duel income families have nothing to do with gangs recruiting practices,nor do neighborhoods or race!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 13, 2015, 01:14:37 PM
Duel income families have nothing to do with gangs recruiting practices,nor do neighborhoods or race!

Oh, you're funny.

OK, educated guy. You're the one who's benefited from a high-quality Berwyn education during the Good Old Days. I'm younger, and have not experienced the high-quality education you've enjoyed and reminded us of. So, educate me: How does gang recruitment happen? What do you feel is the most authoritative article or book on the subject, or which authorities did you consult in drawing your educated conclusions about gangs?

berwyn senator

Oak Park has gangs,I have traveled often and gangs do discriminate when seeking to take over areas to sell drugs.Children who are left on their own,while parents work sometimes look to gangs as their family.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 13, 2015, 10:28:58 PMChildren who are left on their own,while parents work sometimes look to gangs as their family.

How do you know this? What are your reading or watching or experiencing that tells you that children of dual-income families are susceptible to gang recruitment?

Suzy Q

I think has to do more with parents who don't care, don't want to man up and be parents, or are having
kids just to get more aid.

markberwyn

Quote from: Suzy Q on July 14, 2015, 07:52:58 AM
I think has to do more with parents who don't care, don't want to man up and be parents, or are having
kids just to get more aid.

Welfare queens! A terrible influence! I heard* that 95 percent of children that "they" have are born just to get some government cash! Takers!

* via voices in my head

berwyn senator

The many business contacts within the Midwest area are the best teachers.Gang wars are going on between Chicago and southern Wisconsin over drug turf,and many other areas.Single parents with children with several fathers,children being raised by grandparents,children left on their own,there is much more to be said.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 14, 2015, 12:13:14 PM
The many business contacts within the Midwest area are the best teachers.Gang wars are going on between Chicago and southern Wisconsin over drug turf,and many other areas.Single parents with children with several fathers,children being raised by grandparents,children left on their own,there is much more to be said.

What kind of business contacts? What persuades you that they're more clued in than legislators, journalists, and scholars about the extent and nature of the gang problem? Please say more!