News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Berwyn's Referenda

Started by Marcy, November 07, 2016, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcy

Came onto this Forum to read what my fellow Berwyn resident's were saying about these referenda this day before election. Surprised I found nothing.

Berwyn Township Referenda
1) Fossil Fuel
Shall all levels of government including federal, state, county, and municipal districts cease purchasing securities in the fossil fuel industry in order to break the hold of fossil fuel corporations on markets and governments and bring about a swift transition from fossil fuels to sustainable energy?   
2) Climate Change
Shall our Representatives and Senators in the U.S. Congress sponsor and/or support measures that will: Acknowledge the serious threat posed by climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in a clear, transparent and effective way?

Marcy

Quote from: Marcy on November 07, 2016, 01:24:49 PM
2) Climate Change
Shall our Representatives and Senators in the U.S. Congress sponsor and/or support measures that will: Acknowledge the serious threat posed by climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in a clear, transparent and effective way?

OK, I'll get the ball rolling: 1) I believe there's a climate change problem, and 2) I think we should execute measures which will reduce this; however, I can't see anyway that we can implement this referendum.

It would be more productive to make changes in Berwyn toward these ends.
Although, I don't know where Berwyn spends most of it's utility dollars.
A few things that come to mind to reduce electricity costs:
1) solar panels on top of City Hall, Health department, and firehouses;
2) small vertical windmills to run street lights. 
These items can be implemented as funds are available, then using acquired savings to implement more changes.

Marcy

1) Fossil Fuel
Shall all levels of government including federal, state, county, and municipal districts cease purchasing securities in the fossil fuel industry in order to break the hold of fossil fuel corporations on markets and governments and bring about a swift transition from fossil fuels to sustainable energy?   

If Berwyn can make money by investing surplus funds, they should be looking for the best investments available - PERIOD. Not be hamstringed by laws the frequently become outdated.

Plus, how can our little referendum effect federal, state or even county choices? 

markberwyn

Came onto this Forum to read what my fellow Berwyn resident's were saying about these referenda this day before election. Surprised I found nothing.

Berwyn Township Referenda
1) Fossil Fuel
2) Climate Change

Is this referendum actually binding? That is, if it passes, is Berwyn obligated to divest from investments it has in oil companies, or stop any further ones? What kind of such investments does the city already have? And how is "securities in the the fossil fuel industry" defined, exactly? (Would an index fund that has BP as one of its investments count?)

I'm all for any effort the city makes to reduce its environmental footprint, but as phrased the referendum sounds like a feel-good/do-nothing exercise.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

These are advisory referenda.  There have been others similar to them in the past - usually in the same political vein (e.g. stop the war in Iraq).

I guess I had not been paying much attention this year - I did not even know these were on the ballot.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on November 08, 2016, 07:30:02 AM
These are advisory referenda.  There have been others similar to them in the past - usually in the same political vein (e.g. stop the war in Iraq).

I guess I had not been paying much attention this year - I did not even know these were on the ballot.

I'd vote for a referendum to keep advisory referenda off the ballot.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes