News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Everything lately

Started by berwynson, December 03, 2016, 12:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

It's commiserating about either places or events remembered, or additions to earlier threads never really considered before. For example, I might ask Berwyn Senator, if he remembers Al's Auto Graveyard on Ogden Ave. First time I saw Al's I was likely too young to have started school yet, went there with my Dad. 20+ years later, I went there as an adult to buy an engine and transmission!

Businesses around the Chicago suburbs survived. repeat clientele, no transient population turnover. The passing years have changed this, I'm afraid.

I wonder if Chiarugi Hardware is still in existence, on Taylor Street, (in Chicago) where they sold wine-making supplies to the Italian community (and ME!).
berwynson

berwyn senator

Al's Auto Graveyard is long gone the property is being cleaned up, what is going on to replace, not sure. The muffler place also has been closed can't remember the name?

berwynson

Sorry to hear Al's is history. They sold me an engine and transmission, $300 as I recall,  Ford big block, which I put in the Merc. maybe before you even entered the picture, when I was I'd guess Junior Year. A 352 cu. in., with Cruise-O-Matic out of a 59 Galaxie. Sweated bullets to get it mounted up in that Merc, started it, horrible noise out of the torque converter. Complained. No [problem, the guy said, he gave me a different one. OUT with the transmission, out with the bum converter, back in with the replacement. Ran like a charm, all the way to bringing back the 430 Lincoln engine.

Can you imagine how much time I spent in that garage? Ted's Dad's Buick was running H.S., a 1956, I offered to rebuild the carburetor. Turned out OK, I guess, but his old man never said. Our fathers were like that. They felt we "One-upped" them, when really, we helped them. Last of the "Macho Man" breed, maybe.

You knew Dick Ourada? Right across the street from you, I think. His Dad was a sour, old, prick.

berwyn senator

Just before I graduated I started delivering auto parts for Chicago Auto Parts on Odgen Ave. Stopped at Al's at least once a week.Drove a 56 Chevy 6 stick, my route was Cicero Berwyn and Brookfield,beat the shit out of that car.Today I would never be able to drive that way, traffic would not allow it,police would be on my ass.Vern manager the store and was a nice guy to work for he drove a Mercury maybe 1954 dunk.I also ran to D&H auto parts on Roosevelt,Schaab on Cermack and Gabriel in Cicero on Cermack Rd. and many repair shops.

moose

The muffler place was Rudy's Robinhood! I bought plenty of mufflers from them.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

berwyn senator

If my memory services me correctly the family that owned Rudy's lived in Hawthorne.

berwynson

Quote from: berwyn senator on December 04, 2016, 01:19:49 PM
Just before I graduated I started delivering auto parts for Chicago Auto Parts on Odgen Ave. Stopped at Al's at least once a week.Drove a 56 Chevy 6 stick, my route was Cicero Berwyn and Brookfield,beat the shit out of that car.Today I would never be able to drive that way, traffic would not allow it,police would be on my ass.Vern manager the store and was a nice guy to work for he drove a Mercury maybe 1954 dunk.I also ran to D&H auto parts on Roosevelt,Schaab on Cermack and Gabriel in Cicero on Cermack Rd. and many repair shops.
Son of a gun!! You worked for Vern?? I bought all my shit from him the few years earlier. Store was just about a block west of Ridgeland on Ogden, north side of street. Nice guy. So, when you graduated, I was long-gone, must have been 1976?? I was divorced from the Polack in 1977, did you know that? Her brother, Rick, mI think you and him got along swell, he died on his 25th. birthday, November 28, 1975, in Vegas. Sealed our separation.

berwyn senator

I started working at Chicago Auto Parts in the summer,Vern was a good guy to work for.He lived not to far away from the store.The name was R&H on Roosevelt in forest part I made a mistake calling it D&H.Schaab on was Cermack was ok, remember the hunch back guy who used to work there?He would ride a bike to work each morning.

berwynson

Hunchback, I don't recall. But old "Nick the Greek" who ran the newsstand for Chuck on Ridgeland and Cermak, in front of the Walgreens, came close. Always chewing on one of those "Dago-rope" cigars, cursing at kids trying to steal Playboys!

Chuck was constantly being called out for selling the magazines. He also owned the one on Oak Park.

Do you remember Joe Poppela who had Poppela's cigar store across from the Villas Theater? He had magazines, soft, our front, a back room with worse that he could control who went in. Sue's first job was at Penny Fiala's Beauty Shop on the corner, 56th. Court. Joe was 2 doors west. I found out about his place while waiting for her once.

berwyn senator

Nick the Greek in the winter he had a Dago rope in his mouth a huge snot from his noise frozen down to the rope.His old blacker coat hollering at the bus driver making obscene jesters with his hand by his crotch.We used to roll M80;'s under his news stand when he was inside, he would come out hollering PUTA! PUTA! with his usual hand jesters.

berwyn senator

Today you go to n auto parts store ask a question and they look at you like a deer in headlights! Same holds true for Menards,Home Depot,or similar home supply stores!

berwyn senator

Remember when Berwyn Lumber was in business? I have many pictures of the fire.They helped with what ever you needed no questions. Koubek Hardware another place always helped, try that today? They helped figure out your problemsnd a fix.