News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Election results

Started by Ted, February 28, 2017, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

The election results are in.

Mayor Robert Lovero won election as the Democratic mayoral candidate.

Marge Paul won the election for Democratic candidate for City Clerk over incumbent Tom Pavlik.

Cynthia Guttierrez won election for Democratic candidate for City Treasurer, defeating incumbent Joe Kroc.

Scott Lennon won the open seat in the first ward defeating Larry Disch.
Jose Ramirez won the Democratic nomination in the 2nd ward, defeating incumbent Jeff Boyajian.
Jeannine Reardon won the Democratic nomination in the 3rd ward in an open seat, defeating Richard Leja and Kevin Pechous
Robert Fejt won the Democratic nomination in the 4th ward.
Cesar Santoy won the Democratic nomination in the 5th ward.
Alicia Ruiz won the Democratic nomination in the 6th ward.
Ralph Avila won the Democratic nomination in the 7th ward.
Eddie Garcia won the Democratic nomination in the 8th ward, defeating incumbent Nora Laureto.

3 of the 8 aldermanic seats and the City Clerk's job will be held by openly gay people.
And, 5 of the 8 aldermanic seats and the City Treasurers job will be held by Hispanic people.

MarkBerwyn, please take note.  This is not your grandfather's Berwyn any more.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Ted on February 28, 2017, 09:52:48 PM

Marge Paul won the election for Democratic candidate for City Clerk over incumbent Tom Pavlik.

Cynthia Guttierrez won election for Democratic candidate for City Treasurer, defeating incumbent Joe Kroc.

Jose Ramirez won the Democratic nomination in the 2nd ward, defeating incumbent Jeff Boyajian.
Jeannine Reardon won the Democratic nomination in the 3rd ward in an open seat, defeating Richard Leja and Kevin Pechous
Eddie Garcia won the Democratic nomination in the 8th ward, defeating incumbent Nora Laureto.

3 of the 8 aldermanic seats and the City Clerk's job will be held by openly gay people.
And, 5 of the 8 aldermanic seats and the City Treasurers job will be held by Hispanic people.

No, it's not and that is a very good thing.  Congrats to all the winners and hopefully they will all work to make Berwyn a better place.  I am happy to see that people voted their heart and not just party lines.

markberwyn

That's super, if so. I'd be interested to see if that same enthusiasm emerges when it comes to supporting the schools. Supporting gay and Hispanic candidates, in itself, isn't evidence of progressivism in Berwyn and Cicero; remember Michael Iniquez?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on February 28, 2017, 10:24:39 PM

That's super, if so. I'd be interested to see if that same enthusiasm emerges when it comes to supporting the schools. Supporting gay and Hispanic candidates, in itself, isn't evidence of progressivism in Berwyn and Cicero; remember Michael Iniquez?
Supporting gay and hispanic candidates is very much evidence of progessivism in Berwyn I do know.  I have lived here since 1988. As for Cicero I cannot speak.  But this about Berwyn, isn't it and not Cicero. 

markberwyn

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 28, 2017, 10:30:30 PM

Supporting gay and hispanic candidates is very much evidence of progessivism in Berwyn I do know.

Given your politics, you must be utterly infuriated at this turn of events, then.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on February 28, 2017, 11:23:23 PM

Supporting gay and hispanic candidates is very much evidence of progessivism in Berwyn I do know.

Given your politics, you must be utterly infuriated at this turn of events, then.
Go fuck yoursel.  You are a race baiter of the most unkind and you know it. A horrible person who just wants to stir the pot in your favor.  I, on the other hand, welcome all of the elected candidates to come together and make this town a better place.

Ted

... Supporting gay and Hispanic candidates, in itself, isn't evidence of progressivism in Berwyn...

When or where did I claim it was evidence of progressivism?  Please point out where I said such a thing?

What I do think the victories demonstrate is that your thesis that Berwyn is a town full of white racists is incorrect.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2017, 03:14:14 AM

... Supporting gay and Hispanic candidates, in itself, isn't evidence of progressivism in Berwyn...

When or where did I claim it was evidence of progressivism?  Please point out where I said such a thing?

Your assurance that this wasn't my grandfather's Berwyn anymore, because more gays and Hispanics have roles in Berwyn politics.

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2017, 03:14:14 AM
  What I do think the victories demonstrate is that your thesis that Berwyn is a town full of white racists is incorrect.

I think when it comes to the schools, Berwyn is still full older whites who suddenly treat nickels like manhole covers, and who come out to vote. And I do think their antipathy toward nonwhite residents makes it easier for them to vote down any financial proposal.

markberwyn

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 28, 2017, 11:31:18 PM

Go fuck yoursel.  You are a race baiter of the most unkind and you know it. A horrible person who just wants to stir the pot in your favor.  I, on the other hand, welcome all of the elected candidates to come together and make this town a better place.

Your immature language is your business, but talking about race is not the same thing as "race baiting." Are you truly convinced that Berwyn residents routinely vote down school-finance initiatives because of "economics"?

Ted

Quote from: markberwyn on March 01, 2017, 05:54:30 AM
Your assurance that this wasn't my grandfather's Berwyn anymore, because more gays and Hispanics have roles in Berwyn politics.

Why would you assume that?  I never said anything about progressive politics, did I?  I was referring to your comment and belief that Berwyn is full of white racists.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2017, 07:10:23 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on March 01, 2017, 05:54:30 AM

Why would you assume that?  I never said anything about progressive politics, did I?  I was referring to your comment and belief that Berwyn is full of white racists.

OK, Ted, OK. Berwyn isn't racist, and isn't progressive. Got it.

The Jackal

Quote from: markberwyn on March 01, 2017, 06:14:44 AM

Your immature language is your business, but talking about race is not the same thing as "race baiting." Are you truly convinced that Berwyn residents routinely vote down school-finance initiatives because of "economics"?

My experience has been that for many older residents, school finance IS an economic decision, especially given the inefficiency of the respective school systems.

The Jackal

I think the bigger issue is that the DCOB won only seven of fifteen contested seats. That has to be an eye opener.

markberwyn

Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 09:28:17 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on March 01, 2017, 06:14:44 AM

My experience has been that for many older residents, school finance IS an economic decision, especially given the inefficiency of the respective school systems.

Yup. Inefficient now, not inefficient at all when they were growing up in Berwyn.

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 09:29:43 AM
I think the bigger issue is that the DCOB won only seven of fifteen contested seats. That has to be an eye opener.

Especially with 4 DCOB incumbents losing.  Tom Pavlik lost to Marge Paul; Joe Kroc lost to Cynthia Gutierrez; Jeff Boyajian lost to Jose Ramirez; and Nora Laureto lost to Eddie Garcia.

I thought beating incumbents would have been an uphill battle.

The Jackal

Usually it is Ted.

I don't know the parties in the treasurers race but Kroc lost handily, which was probably the biggest surprise...not necessarily that he lost but the margin.

Marge Paul is a force in Berwyn politics, she's developed quite a good name for herself. I knew that one was going to be close. And it was. Looks like BU took a gamble pulling her out of the third to try and snatch the clerks position, and it worked.

By a similar token, Jose is very well known, visible and respected in the community as a businessman. His good showing is not entirely a surprise, although I suspected the 2nd would have been a tad closer. Jeff Boyajian is a gentleman and a class act. Just his bad luck that he came across an unusually strong candidate.

Nora losing isn't all that surprising. If memory serves me correctly, she had a very close call in a previous election as well...I think by two votes or something like that.

Its also interesting to note that Santoy and Avila won rather handily. That has to bode well for the DCOB. The margins there were huge.

That wasn't the case for Scott Lennon though, barely got past Disch in the 1st. The 1st has traditionally been a more progressive ward.

Lost in all of this might be Fejts resounding win as well. Looks like Bob has built quite a following in his ward. 

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 11:17:49 AM
Usually it is Ted.

I don't know the parties in the treasurers race but Kroc lost handily, which was probably the biggest surprise...not necessarily that he lost but the margin.

Marge Paul is a force in Berwyn politics, she's developed quite a good name for herself. I knew that one was going to be close. And it was. Looks like BU took a gamble pulling her out of the third to try and snatch the clerks position, and it worked.

By a similar token, Jose is very well known, visible and respected in the community as a businessman. His good showing is not entirely a surprise, although I suspected the 2nd would have been a tad closer. Jeff Boyajian is a gentleman and a class act. Just his bad luck that he came across an unusually strong candidate.

Nora losing isn't all that surprising. If memory serves me correctly, she had a very close call in a previous election as well...I think by two votes or something like that.

Its also interesting to note that Santoy and Avila won rather handily. That has to bode well for the DCOB. The margins there were huge.

That wasn't the case for Scott Lennon though, barely got past Disch in the 1st. The 1st has traditionally been a more progressive ward.

Lost in all of this might be Fejts resounding win as well. Looks like Bob has built quite a following in his ward.

I think the bigger take away from this is the Latino vote. In 3 of the cases where an incumbent lost, a Latino defeated a white incumbent (Gutierrez defeating Kroc in the treasurer's race; Ramirez defeating Boyajian in the 2nd ward and Garcia defeating Laureto in the 8th ward).  In the 5th and 7th ward races, the Latino incumbent won handily. The only person to buck the trend was Bob Fejt.

I also agree that Marge proved she has a large following through out Berwyn.  There has been some chatter on Facebook that if Lovero steps aside in 2021, you could see a mayoral race between Marge Paul and Scott Lennon - gay versus gay.

Bonster

Marge would have been a stronger candidate for the BU, but I can understand why she didn't run.

I highly doubt we'll see a Paul vs. Lennon race next time around.  I think we're more likely to see a Latino candidate or two in the fight.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

This election was somewhat reminiscent of 2001

The Jackal

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2017, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 09:29:43 AM

Especially with 4 DCOB incumbents losing.  Tom Pavlik lost to Marge Paul; Joe Kroc lost to Cynthia Gutierrez; Jeff Boyajian lost to Jose Ramirez; and Nora Laureto lost to Eddie Garcia.

I thought beating incumbents would have been an uphill battle.

Well, according to one local expert "we didn't lose much, Bobby still is the tie breaker".

If you're utilizing that type of logic, maybe, but I highly doubt Lovero wants to be in that spot, nor that its the most accurate barometer.

I would imagine losing eight out of the fifteen city wide contested slots (also encompassing the clerk, treasurer and one additional aldermanic seats) is not exactly a win, but hey, this is Berwyn logic we're talking about here...