News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Election results

Started by Ted, February 28, 2017, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 05:17:43 PM
Well, according to one local expert "we didn't lose much, Bobby still is the tie breaker".

The DCOB shouldn't count their chickens before they're hatched.  Berwyn United is going to put up a fierce battle in the 6th ward in April to get a write-in candidate elected over Ruiz.  If that effort succeeds, then there will be 5 BU alderman, not 4.

The Jackal

Ted,

I never really considered that possibility.

Now that I think of it, that may be an utter catastrophe.....a lame duck mayor without control of his city council. Not sure if that's the ideal scenario either. That may be four years of utter dysfunction.

What struck me odd about the above quoted statement though was

1) The peculiar math this individual utilized in concluding "we didn't lose anything", and

2) Why he thinks a deadlocked city council and township board is a good thing, especially in this town.

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 01, 2017, 05:12:46 PM
This election was somewhat reminiscent of 2001

I agree.  I had been thinking the same thing. 

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 02, 2017, 12:21:27 AM
2) Why he thinks a deadlocked city council and township board is a good thing, especially in this town.

The Township board may not be deadlocked.  Provisional, mail in and absentee votes are still being counted and the race for the last Township Trustee position has tightened up - there is now only a 7 vote difference between Brenda Patterson (12.35% of the vote) and Barbara Bossany (12.32% of vote).

It will be 3 weeks until all the mail in votes are counted. From looking at the other races, it looks like the BU winners' leads have widened with the counting of the provisional and mail in ballots.  It may portend things to come.

If Bossany does come from behind, then 3 of the 4 township trustees will be Berwyn United candidates.

The Jackal

Then I'm not sure how the Township Board will function either.

In most cases such a check and balance split would be seen in a positive light, but I'm not so sure that's the case here.

Bonster

Well, according to one local expert "we didn't lose much, Bobby still is the tie breaker".

Who told you they didn't lose much?  Shit, even the mayor alluded to the losses, saying it was a bittersweet victory!

It is true that in a deadlock, the mayor is the tiebreaker, though.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on March 01, 2017, 09:34:03 PM

The DCOB shouldn't count their chickens before they're hatched.  Berwyn United is going to put up a fierce battle in the 6th ward in April to get a write-in candidate elected over Ruiz.  If that effort succeeds, then there will be 5 BU alderman, not 4.

Yup.  It should be interesting to see if they can rustle up enough people to do that.  Alicia got 479 of 625 ballots cast in her ward, though it's easy for the lazy voter to simply draw that line. 

Bonster

Ted - another thought on likelihood of Marge running for mayor:  She'd be giving up a sweet, well-paying position for one that not only pays less, but has 10X the stress! 

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on March 02, 2017, 12:59:39 PM

Who told you they didn't lose much?  Shit, even the mayor alluded to the losses, saying it was a bittersweet victory!

It is true that in a deadlock, the mayor is the tiebreaker, though.

I didn't know the man, but I've seen him around. I think he's a city employee, but not certain.

With respect to the tie breaker, that's an awful spot for Lovero to be in, even in a lame duck term.

Bonster

I'm interested to see how the new #8 is regarding city workers' contracts. 

berwyn senator

I may have missed something?when is the election for the assessor?  I think the DCOB sat back and didn't expect the lousyears passed proved that if no effort you loose.

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on March 02, 2017, 02:15:29 PM

I'm guessing no more a rubber stamp than the previous #8.....

The Jackal

Quote from: berwyn senator on March 02, 2017, 02:32:21 PM
I may have missed something?when is the election for the assessor?  I think the DCOB sat back and didn't expect the lousyears passed proved that if no effort you loose.

I'm pretty sure the DCOB knew it was in for a dogfight this time around...except for maybe a select few who were expecting people to "crawl back into their holes" after the election.

Looks like it didn't quite work out that way.

The Jackal

Why would that be?

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on March 02, 2017, 03:31:38 PM

I'm guessing no more a rubber stamp than the previous #8.....

The previous #8 didn't vote on them, just like the present #4 and  previous #6.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on March 02, 2017, 04:11:58 PM

Why would that be?

He's a big union guy.  I'm curious if the times Marge voted no, would he have as well. 

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on March 02, 2017, 04:26:33 PM

Why would that be?

He's a big union guy.  I'm curious if the times Marge voted no, would he have as well.

He's a union painter.

NOT a unionized city worker.

Nor do I believe he has any family on the city payroll.

Can't possibly be any worse than what you had before in #8.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on March 02, 2017, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: Bonster on March 02, 2017, 04:26:33 PM

Why would that be?

He's a union painter.

NOT a unionized city worker.

Nor do I believe he has any family on the city payroll.

Can't possibly be any worse than what you had before in #8.

Union folks tend to support union folks, and I'm not comparing him to #8.

The Jackal

I am.

If you weren't concerned about your previous #8 with xxxxx family members on the unionized city payroll then I'm not sure about how/why you would be concerned about the new #8.

Odd.

Btw, I didn't earlier mean to intimate that the previous #8 had done a bad job, just that the new #8 couldn't possibly be any worse if your concern is union issues.

Imo, there's a massive difference between public and private sector unions.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on March 02, 2017, 04:50:41 PM
If you weren't concerned about your previous #8 with xxxxx family members on the unionized city payroll then I'm not sure about how/why you would be concerned about the new #8.
No concern, just curiosity (and certainly no more concern than I would have for #4 or previous #6).

I understand the private/public sector thing, yet unions still tend to support each others' causes, for the most part.  I would be shocked if a union person such as Edgar supported privatization.