News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Election April 4th

Started by MindoverMatter, March 13, 2017, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MindoverMatter

There is now a write-in candidate  for the 6th ward being endorsed by Alderman Ted Polashek. Her name is Erika Rosado.  What else is left to vote on come April 4th?

Ted

Quote from: MindoverMatter on March 13, 2017, 04:12:10 PM
There is now a write-in candidate  for the 6th ward being endorsed by Alderman Ted Polashek. Her name is Erika Rosado.  What else is left to vote on come April 4th?

All of the municipal positions (mayor, clerk, treasurer and aldermen) and township positions (supervisor, assessor and board of trustees) will be on the ballot but most of the candidates will be running unopposed.

There may be a race in the assessor's race.  Al Kveton submitted a petition as an independent but was ruled off the ballot by the local electoral board.  He appealed the decision to the courts. I am not sure what the court's decision was And, there is a write-in contest in the 6th ward between Alicia Ruiz and Erika Rosado.  All other candidates for municipal and township positions (the ones who won in the primary) are unopposed in the general election.

There is a contested election for the South Berwyn District 100 school board. Five candidates are running for 3 seats:

Deanna Durica (incumbent)
Darlene Yoder
Julia McAleer-Forte
Amy Perez
Heide Cristina

There is a contested election for the Berwyn Park District board 2 year seat. Two candidates are vying for one seat:

Brian Brock
Victor Burgos

For the 6 year seat on the Berwyn Park District board, 1 person is running for 1 seat:

Ana Espinoza

In North Berwyn District 98, there are only 3 people running for 4 seats:

Adam Mounce
Elizabeth Cuevas
Mary Beth Arenella

In the North Berwyn Park District, there are 2 people running for 2 seats (both incumbents):

Ann Mackin
Jeanmarie Hajer-O'Connor

In District 201, there are 4 people running for 4 seats (all incumbents):

Jessica Jaramillo-Flores
Sandra Tomschin
Margaret Kelly
Kal Lwanga

And, there is a referendum in District 100 that proposes raising the tax rate by 60 cents.

The Jackal

Why was Kveton ruled off the ballot?

Hasn't he run for an elected position before?

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on March 14, 2017, 07:25:19 AM
Why was Kveton ruled off the ballot?

Hasn't he run for an elected position before?

I don't know why he was ruled off the ballot.

Al ran in 2005 and 2009 as the IVB candidate for assessor and he won.  I believe he also ran for assessor in 2013 in the Democratic primary and lost.

MindoverMatter

Quote from: Ted on March 13, 2017, 09:10:21 PM
Quote from: MindoverMatter on March 13, 2017, 04:12:10 PM

All of the municipal positions (mayor, clerk, treasurer and aldermen) and township positions (supervisor, assessor and board of trustees) will be on the ballot but most of the candidates will be running unopposed.

There may be a race in the assessor's race.  Al Kveton submitted a petition as an independent but was ruled off the ballot by the local electoral board.  He appealed the decision to the courts. I am not sure what the court's decision was And, there is a write-in contest in the 6th ward between Alicia Ruiz and Erika Rosado.  All other candidates for municipal and township positions (the ones who won in the primary) are unopposed in the general election.

There is a contested election for the South Berwyn District 100 school board. Five candidates are running for 3 seats:

Deanna Durica (incumbent)
Darlene Yoder
Julia McAleer-Forte
Amy Perez
Heide Cristina

There is a contested election for the Berwyn Park District board 2 year seat. Two candidates are vying for one seat:

Brian Brock
Victor Burgos

For the 6 year seat on the Berwyn Park District board, 1 person is running for 1 seat:

Ana Espinoza

In North Berwyn District 98, there are only 3 people running for 4 seats:

Adam Mounce
Elizabeth Cuevas
Mary Beth Arenella

In the North Berwyn Park District, there are 2 people running for 2 seats (both incumbents):

Ann Mackin
Jeanmarie Hajer-O'Connor

In District 201, there are 4 people running for 4 seats (all incumbents):

Jessica Jaramillo-Flores
Sandra Tomschin
Margaret Kelly
Kal Lwanga

And, there is a referendum in District 100 that proposes raising the tax rate by 60 cents.

Thanks for the details.  Any background on any of the candidate's?

Ted

Quote from: MindoverMatter on March 15, 2017, 01:23:58 PM
Thanks for the details.  Any background on any of the candidate's

Darlene Yoder ran for the D100 school board in 2015 and lost.  She would be a good person to have on the school board.  I think she has been involved in the referendum campaign as well as has attended most of the school board meetings over the last 2 years.

I also know Julia McAleer-Forte has been heavily involved in the district and in the referendum campaign.

Both Julia and Darlene support the passage of the referendum.

I believe Julia and Darlene are running as a team - at least they are sharing the same Facebook page for their campaign.

I know Deanna as well and she has been heavily involved in both D100 and D201. Deanna was supported by Lovero in 2013 in her first run.

I do not know much about the other two D100 candidates.  It was posted on Facebook that they were recruited by D100 school board member Jennifer Mitchell Brendel, who was a big DCOB supporter in the primary and who received in-kind contributions  in her 2015 run for the school board from a dummy corporation set up by Michael DelGaldo, who is the school board's lawyer.

As for the Berwyn Park District race, I do not know much about the two candidates, although it seems like a lot of independents are supporting Brian Brock.

In the 6th ward race, it is a battle between the DCOB (Alicia Ruiz) and Berwyn United (Erika Rosado) as a write-in candidate.

All of the other races are uncontested unless Al Kveton gets on the ballot for Township Assessor

For school board,  I am voting for Darlene Yoder, Julia McAleer-Forte and Deanna Durica.

For park district, I am voting for Brian Brock.

If Al Kveton gets on the ballot for Township Assessor, I am voting for him.

And, I am voting yes on the D100 referendum to increase the tax rate.  For most Berwyn residents, the cost will be between $150 to $225 per year and the additional $2.2 million it will bring in is needed to make up for the $1.5 million to $2.5 million that the district has lost in the last 4 years due to the financial problems in Springfield.

berwyn senator

I must agree.Al Kveton is the best person for assessor, he has my vote.

MindoverMatter

In the 6th ward race any background details on them?

Ted

Quote from: MindoverMatter on March 16, 2017, 12:55:31 PM
In the 6th ward race any background details on them?

Ruiz is backed by Lovero and the DCOB.  Rosado is backed by Teddy Polashek as a write-in candidate.

Here are the links to their campaign Facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/Ruizfor6thWardAlderman/

https://www.facebook.com/electrosado6ward/?fref=nf&pnref=story

Bonster

I have no one to vote for.

Once again, there's a shortage for the D98 board.  That is crazy. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Bonster

Why not?  It's Cook Cty after all.

Yet with how much better North Berwyn is doing compared to D100, I think 3 candidates might be the magic bullet!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on March 27, 2017, 03:33:31 PM
I have no one to vote for.

Once again, there's a shortage for the D98 board.  That is crazy.
That is shocking to me especially considering the gentrifrication that is happening there.  School Board Member does look pretty good on a resume for whatever resume you may have.